Gas Prices

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Gas Prices

Postby Webfoot12 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:19 pm

Is anyone going to tone down their hunting or scouting this year due to rising gas prices?

I only have to drive 20 miles to the public land I enjoy hunting so its not going to kill me.

I bought a new GMC Sierra last year and it has spent most of the time in the garage but I have to use it to pull my boat.

I also have a 60 mile round trip commute to work but thankfully I can drive my wife's pontiac and get a little better mileage.

Just curious to know if anyone is making any changes.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:35 pm

Well I'm gonna end up buying a car now instead of a pick-up like I really want because otherwise I won't be able ot afford paying for gas. Kinda sucks, but ya do what you got to do I guess. That's my big change because of the freaking gas price. Oh well.

Joe
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:00 pm

Not at all, right now I drive a 4-cylinder car so gas mileage isn't really an issue.

:salude:

BTW, i know there is a post for this already, but the price of gas went up here in Winnipeg yesterday to $1.06 a liter( 4 liters to a gallon)
and it's only gonna keep going up. I hear the price of crude is almost $70.00 a barrel now. Crazy!
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby birdshooter » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:33 am

I wonder how many goose decoys you could get in the back of a Ford Focus????????????? :toofunny: :getdown: :getdown:

I suppose you could always hook up a trailer...
birdshooter
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:43 pm

Ford Focus? Standard shells or Bigfeet? New a guy that would put 3 dz shells in the back seat of a Chevette with the heads and stakes in the front. Believe the gun was strapped to the top. :eek: All he had and would do OK. :thumbsup:
Cobra
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:51 pm

I can fit 5 doz duck decoys, 2 shotguns, one of my hunting partners and my canoe on the roof in a dodge neon! Damn funny sight to see, but thats all i have untill get a truck, so it'll hafta do. I will post a pic of that come hunting season so you all can have a good laugh!

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:16 pm

I might have to eat baloney for a few months, but if that's what it's gonna take, then so be it... as stated before

NUTHIN' GETS BETWEEN ME & THE GREEN :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Nothing But Death will stop me from going.. any way I only have to drive like 4mi most of the time
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:10 pm

I've said this before. Think about how bad you would love to have gotten up and gone duck hunting this morning, or any morning your've woken up in the last 7 months. Think of how much you miss duck hunting. Lets face it your probably like me or most everyone else on this site, You're a littel obsessed with duck huntin. So I would want to sit around next feb or march and say man i should have gone a couple more times. Why did i let $40 or $60 bucks keep me from going just one or two more times. My advice would be to drink less beer, or to take a page out of ol' Quackcephus's book "eat balogny" Car pool do what ever you can to save some pennies and go kill more ducks. I will.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby tstrong » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:55 pm

You said it Ace. Don't be second guessing yourself the night before the hunt. You'll kick yourself come February.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:56 pm

mallardman77 - Does your friend like riding on the roof? Hope he doesn't keep his mouth open. :laughing: Seriuosly, we're all going to go just as often as ever, just may not take that long trip or 2. See just as much close to home anyway.
Cobra
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:07 pm

Gas prices will make an effect on my hunting, but there's no way I'll miss a day to hunt.

The one thing that will change is that my buddies will now be chipping in for gas. Both in the truck and the boat. In the past when they offered to chip in a little I have always said that I'd be going whether they were with me or not, so not to worry about gas money. Not anymore. I only have a 30 mi. drive, but I'll burn a quarter tank of gas going there and back pulling the boat and hunting 5-7 days a week will start to put the hurt on the wallet.

I may not scout as much as I have in the past. No more 2 hour scouting trips after every hunt. I'll stop trying to find as many new places and concentrate on the ones I know hold ducks. Of course that will all change if none of those places are holding ducks and I have to scout even longer.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby SL80Shooter » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:30 pm

This year I have a brand spankin' new lifetime hunting license for Indiana. :getdown: Since we moved to Michigan I would be paying a fortune for nonresident licenses to go back to IN and hunt my grandparents property. Now, I don't have to buy anything. I'm feeling pretty good about driving back even if I have to pay more for gas.
SL80Shooter
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:56 am

well, we just rounded the 2.50 a gallon mark and are still going....its for sure to hurt the long trips in the Tahoe but there will be no lack of local runs. This gas thing is a joke.......But honestly I don't ever seeing it going back down.......
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:02 am

Diesel went up to over $2.47 a gallon...

So we took the minivan on a scouting trip....

It was a site to see :eek: We were goin thru ruts a few truks were afraid to touch.... crossed a river, and hit the 4 wheeler trail :thumbsup:

I guess it is all in the driver :salude: :cool:
-Stouff

BTW- I'll be takin the truck next time! :mrgreen:
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:24 am

It's gonna have an affect on my hunting. A college kids budget gets hit pretty hard by those kinda things. I could work more, to afford to hunt more, but working more would cut into the hunting time that I could afford. It's a lose lose situation. I'll just have to dig into the saving account to do the 3 to 4 day a week routine. To much fun to miss.

I might also just hit some closer spots that aren't quite as good and scout less, because pulling the boat kills my gas mileage.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:03 am

mallardman77 wrote:I can fit 5 doz duck decoys, 2 shotguns, one of my hunting partners and my canoe on the roof in a dodge neon! Damn funny sight to see, but thats all i have untill get a truck, so it'll hafta do. I will post a pic of that come hunting season so you all can have a good laugh!

We possibly have a Canadian redneck in our midts :laughing:

For each $1 the barrel of crude oil goes up, that equates to about 2.5 cents per gal and the pump. For it goes up another $20 - we will be paying another 50 cents. Remember there is a lag between when the crude price goes up and the pump price goes up.

National average was 2.53 last week for regular. Low of 2.31 in WY, and High of 2.78 in San Dieago

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Gas prices

Postby sheri » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:54 am

Seen a guy riding down one of our country roads on a honda spree he was pulling what looked like a home made three wheeled cart in the cart he had a black lab and fishing poles and a tackle box. It was great!! Guess he wasn't going to pay the extra money at the pump!!!
New to labs and loving it!
sheri
hunter

Postby what ever » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:00 pm

It will cost me an average of $ 150 dollars a week in fuel to hunt this year thats from Oct to Jan thats almost $ 3000 total. I went back to doing side work last week to start stocking up on fuel money. F250 crew cab V 10 :help:
what ever
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:22 pm

what ever wrote:It will cost me an average of $ 150 dollars a week in fuel to hunt this year thats from Oct to Jan thats almost $ 3000 total. I went back to doing side work last week to start stocking up on fuel money. F250 crew cab V 10 :help:

might i add it is a nice ford indeed! (one of the few i have seen... :mrgreen: )
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:37 pm

Its gonna suck, but nothin can keep me away from huntin........damn bush :thumbsdown:
texan68
hunter

Postby pitbulldrhm » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:23 pm

But honestly I don't ever seeing it going back down.......

Yeah I have to agree. Anyone remember when it was .50 a gal and it just kept climbin'. When I started driving in '96 prices were .95 a gal. in my neck of the woods. Boy I miss the good ol' days
pitbulldrhm
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:42 pm

admin2 wrote:We possibly have a Canadian redneck in our midts :laughing:

Whada you mean POSSIBLY! :toofunny:

admin2 wrote:National average was 2.53 last week for regular. Low of 2.31 in WY, and High of 2.78 in San Dieago

You guys down south are paying about $1.00 US less a gallon than us up here in Canada right now... lucky.

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Cobra » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:33 pm

$2.79 for regular in my area today. When I first started driving it was $0.20.
Cobra
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:05 pm

Who here swing into starbucks in the morning and pays $5 for 6 oz. of coffee? That is the damn stupidest thing ever. I don't go to starbucks, but i can just imagine the people standing in line waiting to pay a ridiculas amount for frikin coffee, while at the same time blaming our president for "outrageouse" gas prices.

How much do you pay for a beer at a bar, or a cocktail?
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Return to The Honey Hole