Anti-war protests gone to far...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Anti-war protests gone to far...

Postby Snaph » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:06 pm

This is disgusting. I am NOT posting this to start any kind of debate on the war in here. This is just plain wrong. Leave our wounded troops out of this. Just leave them alone. They have a have hard enough road ahead of them with out all this nonsense.

Anti-War Protests Target Wounded at Army Hospital
By Marc Morano
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
August 25, 2005

Washington (CNSNews.com) - The Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., the current home of hundreds of wounded veterans from the war in Iraq, has been the target of weekly anti-war demonstrations since March. The protesters hold signs that read "Maimed for Lies" and "Enlist here and die for Halliburton."

The anti-war demonstrators, who obtain their protest permits from the Washington, D.C., police department, position themselves directly in front of the main entrance to the Army Medical Center, which is located in northwest D.C., about five miles from the White House.

Among the props used by the protesters are mock caskets, lined up on the sidewalk to represent the death toll in Iraq.

Code Pink Women for Peace, one of the groups backing anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan's vigil outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford Texas, organizes the protests at Walter Reed as well.

Some conservative supporters of the war call the protests, which have been ignored by the establishment media, "shameless" and have taken to conducting counter-demonstrations at Walter Reed. "[The anti-war protesters] should not be demonstrating at a hospital. A hospital is not a suitable location for an anti-war demonstration," said Bill Floyd of the D.C. chapter of FreeRepublic.com, who stood across the street from the anti-war demonstrators on Aug. 19.

"I believe they are tormenting our wounded soldiers and they should just leave them alone," Floyd added.

According to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, nearly 4,000 individuals involved in the Iraq war were treated at the facility as of March of this year, 1,050 of whom were wounded in battle.

One anti-war protester, who would only identify himself as "Luke," told Cybercast News Service that "the price of George Bush's foreign policy can be seen right here at Walter Reed -- young men who returned from Iraq with their bodies shattered after George Bush sent them to war for a lie."

Luke accused President Bush of "exploiting American soldiers" while "oppressing the other nations of earth." The president "has killed far too many people," he added.

On Aug. 19, as the anti-war protesters chanted slogans such as "George Bush kills American soldiers," Cybercast News Service observed several wounded war veterans entering and departing the gates of Walter Reed, some with prosthetic limbs. Most of the demonstrations have been held on Friday evenings, a popular time for the family members of wounded soldiers to visit the hospital.

But the anti-war activists were unapologetic when asked whether they considered such signs as "Maimed for Lies" offensive to wounded war veterans and their families.

"I am more offended by the fact that many were maimed for life. I am more offended by the fact that they (wounded veterans) have been kept out of the news," said Kevin McCarron, a member of the anti-war group Veterans for Peace.

Kevin Pannell, who was recently treated at Walter Reed and had both legs amputated after an ambush grenade attack near Baghdad in 2004, considers the presence of the anti-war protesters in front of the hospital "distasteful."

When he was a patient at the hospital, Pannell said he initially tried to ignore the anti-war activists camped out in front of Walter Reed, until witnessing something that enraged him.

"We went by there one day and I drove by and [the anti-war protesters] had a bunch of flag-draped coffins laid out on the sidewalk. That, I thought, was probably the most distasteful thing I had ever seen. Ever," Pannell, a member of the Army's First Cavalry Division, told Cybercast News Service.

"You know that 95 percent of the guys in the hospital bed lost guys whenever they got hurt and survivors' guilt is the worst thing you can deal with," Pannell said, adding that other veterans recovering from wounds at Walter Reed share his resentment for the anti-war protesters.

"We don't like them and we don't like the fact that they can hang their signs and stuff on the fence at Walter Reed," he said. "[The wounded veterans] are there to recuperate. Once they get out in the real world, then they can start seeing that stuff (anti-war protests). I mean Walter Reed is a sheltered environment and it needs to stay that way."

McCarron said he dislikes having to resort to such controversial tactics, "but this stuff can't be hidden," he insisted. "The real cost of this war cannot be kept from the American public."

The anti-war protesters claim their presence at the hospital is necessary to publicize the arrivals of newly wounded soldiers from Iraq, who the protesters allege are being smuggled in at night by the Pentagon to avoid media scrutiny. The protesters also argue that the military hospital is the most appropriate place for the demonstrations and that the vigils are designed to ultimately help the wounded veterans.

"If I went to war and lost a leg and then found out from my hospital bed that I had been lied to, that the weapons I was sent to search for never existed, that the person who sent me to war had no plan but to exploit me, exploit the country I was sent to, I would be pretty angry," Luke told Cybercast News Service.

"I would want people to do something about it and if I couldn't get out of my bed and protest myself, I would want someone else to do it in my name," he added.

The conservative counter-demonstrators carry signs reading "Troops out when the job's done," "Thank you U.S. Armed Forces" and "Shameless Pinkos go home." Many wear the orange T-shirts reading "Club G'itmo" that are marketed by conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

"[The anti-war protesters] have no business here. If they want to protest policy, they should be at the Capitol, they should be at the White House," said Nina Burke. "The only reason for being here is to talk to [the] wounded and [anti-war protests are] just completely inappropriate."

Albion Wilde concurred, arguing that "it's very easy to pick on the families of the wounded. They are very vulnerable ... I feel disgusted.

"[The anti-war protesters] are really showing an enormous lack of respect for just everything that America has always stood for. They lost the election and now they are really, really angry and so they are picking on the wrong people," Wilde added.

At least one anti-war demonstrator conceded that standing out in front of a military hospital where wounded soldiers and their families are entering and exiting, might not be appropriate.

"Maybe there is a better place to have a protest. I am not sure," said a man holding a sign reading "Stop the War," who declined to be identified.

But Luke and the other anti-war protesters dismissed the message of the counter demonstrators. "We know most of the George Bush supporters have never spent a day in uniform, have never been closer to a battlefield than seeing it through the television screen," Luke said.

Code Pink, the group organizing the anti-war demonstrations in front of the Walter Reed hospital, has a controversial leader and affiliations. As Cybercast News Service previously reported, Code Pink co-founder Medea Benjamin has expressed support for the Communist Viet Cong in Vietnam and the Nicaraguan Sandinistas.

In 2001, Benjamin was asked about anti-war protesters sympathizing with nations considered to be enemies of U.S. foreign policy, including the Viet Cong and the Sandinistas. "There's no one who will talk about how the other side is good," she reportedly told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Benjamin has also reportedly praised the Cuban regime of Fidel Castro. Benjamin told the San Francisco Chronicle that her visit to Cuba in the 1980s revealed to her a great country. "It seem[ed] like I died and went to heaven," she reportedly said.
Snaph
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:21 pm

From now on, every duck I shoot, is gettin it's left wing Clean Blowed off In protest! :mrgreen:

THAT WAS A JOKE! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO LAUGH NOW! OH WELL, I TRIED. :tounge:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:23 pm

oh how i wish this was going on locally... :pissed:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gunman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:48 pm

I couldnt' read much past "Luke's" comments........excuse me now, I have to vomit................ :oops:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:41 pm

These are the same PUKES that take their FREEDOM'S for granted & they never realize WHO provides them. :pissed:

I wonder why these MISGUIDED TERM OF ENDEARMENT aren't PROTESTING the TERM OF ENDEARMENT that caused the SIT-CHEE-A-SHUN... don't start sumpin', won't be nuthin' :umm:

SCOUTS OUT

[siteimg]1032[/siteimg]
Last edited by Quackcephus on Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:39 pm

So much for the BS about "we support our troops, we're just against the administration and the war"....................

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...................... :pissed:
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby cast-n-blast » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:35 am

Hippies like this just don't get it. :pissed: That is until somthing happen to them directly, then they flip sides. I guess that's why they call them hippies! :tounge:
"Hippies...They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

"If God didn't want us to shoot animals...then why'd he make 'em out of meat?"
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:52 am

This is the kind of crap that pisses me most over almoast anything else...

I have never used the little red mad face before... But there is a time and a place for everything....

:pissed:
-Stouff

ImageHOOAH
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:50 am

They would soon change their tunes if the military was disbanded and the country left vunerable. Ya all could become Peace Keepers Just like us. :laughing:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:47 pm

greg, greg, greg... :laughing:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby kms399 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm

But Luke and the other anti-war protesters dismissed the message of the counter demonstrators. "We know most of the George Bush supporters have never spent a day in uniform, have never been closer to a battlefield than seeing it through the television screen," Luke said.

whats funny is i bet old luke has never spent a day in uniform. he is a putz and should be sent to the front lines. operation hippie shield.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:52 pm

Yep...Luke is a narrow minded, moronic, stupid, idiotic, dumb azz.
Now I heard a story about the anti-war hippys protesting at a military funeral. I had an idea today. Now that Bush has gone back to D.C. Maybe these jobless hippys can leave the protest in Texas and head to Louisiana and Mississippi to help out those that really need it. They have nothing else worthwhile to do. They might as well make themselves useful for once.
Snaph
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:09 pm

:withstupid: Hear, hear!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby doane25 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:42 pm

what i would give for 10 mins alone with "Luke" in the middle of no where. what is this country coming to?
doane25
hunter

Postby gunman » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:44 am

kms399 wrote: operation hippie shield.

NOW THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT THERE, I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE..... :laughing:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

I'm sick

Postby bluebilldays » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:30 am

I am in the military, and everytime I hear about these people it really bothers me. They say "we support" our troops not the war. Who do you think is fighting the war? I live about 25 miles away from where those brave marines gave their lives for this country in Brookpark. I know alot of them. They would not stand for this. How do you think this makes them feel when the come home on leave or here of all the protests? Ever think of that! Sleep good.
bluebilldays
hunter

Postby roscoesbuddy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:27 am

there is another problem here to. the fact that every time the men and women come home from Iraq this is what the media is covering. why help these people accomplish their goal by giving them press attention when their tactics so terrible. If the media and press would a least ever once and a while publish how millions of people in this country susport our troops and are thankful for what they do. doing so would give balance to what the people in this country really believe. this would give a more realistic account of the pulse of the nation. it would be better for everyone. ( and yes i know when i'm talking about the media they might as well grab a sign and join in with these people they aren't much better)

to the men and women of the armed Forces thank you for your sacrifice and keeping this country free. :thumbsup:
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby duckdog » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:56 pm

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed: This make's me sick to my stomach, should'nt these people be tried for treason, or something. My father was in the Army, and served in Vietnam, I am very proud of him, and my uncle's that fought to protect our country, if I ever heard anyone say a negative thing about him for being in the war I would snap, they would most likely not be walking away from it. The U.S. military is our lifescource, without them, our country would be nopthing at all. My thought's and prayer's go out to our protector's everyday, and the people protesting should be locked up. Tell any one in the military, or a veteran thankyou, for there protection, and to all the service people, and veteran's on this site, thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole