Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:33 pm

Last edited by Wilsona018 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby 88will88 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:59 am

The best duck hunt i have ever been on wqas in 1998. here in albany we have a problem with flooding after any large amount of rain. and when it floods, the hardwood bottome get about knee to waist deep with water and acorns. can anyone say wood duck heaven. we snuck out one morning and got to our spots about 45 minutes before wunrise. when daybreak started so did the woodies, and start they did. for about 90 minutes they woodies rained like mana from heaven. we limited out and just watched them pour in. no calls, no decoys, just water and acorns. if only every hunt could be like this!!1 :thumbsup:
88will88
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:09 pm

I am surprised people were not all over this topic. I have several stories, but for now, just the best hunt of 2004.

Late in the season, a big winter storm hit western Missouri complete with heavy, wet snow. The drive to the club was somewhat treacherous, but we made it. We couldn’t cross the last low water crossing on the ATVs, so it was on with the waders and a walk from there.

When we arrived at the blind, we could hear wings and quacks, but could barely make out birds because of the dense snow fall. Shortly thereafter, the snow let up just a bit and we could ID the birds as they landed. We have a strict rule of No Hens. Even in a situation like this, you don’t want to be known as a Mother Killer.

What followed was picturesque fast action with group after group circling once or twice before coming in through the blowing snow on cupped wings. Limits were taken all around and we decided to sit and watch a bit, until one hunting partner went behind the blind to take care of business. He came back and said the river that borders our club to the north was bank full.

By the time we grabbed our gear; the water was rising and creeping into the woods. When we arrived at the low water crossing, the water was backing up and getting deep, we walked on tip toes and had not an inch to spare as the slushy water reached for the top of the chest waders.

Beautiful setting, great shooting and a narrow escape.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby gunman » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:13 pm

I believe this topic has been brought up before, but its still fun to here form new members!! :thumbsup:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:44 pm

RAt Creek - That sounds like my ideal hunt. I live for extreme weather. Deer & Elk I have hunted them when the blizzards blow in and out. But never waterfowl. The thought of those birds crusing in through the snow would be awesome.
tstrong
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:38 am

tstrong wrote:RAt Creek - That sounds like my ideal hunt. I live for extreme weather. Deer & Elk I have hunted them when the blizzards blow in and out. But never waterfowl. The thought of those birds crusing in through the snow would be awesome.
:withstupid: i love hunting in extreme conditions. i also enjoy camping in them. i guess it must be the survival nature in us... :thumbsup:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:58 am

It was really something I will never forget. It gets incredibly quiet in the snow and on this day, the wind wasn’t blowing hard. Though we did have a lot of nervous laughter each time we heard the sound of splitting wood, the rush of branches and the huge thud as another huge tree limb gave way to the weight of the heavy snow.

Though we didn’t move, we discussed that it would be wiser to be outside the blind in conditions like this because at least you would have a chance to escape the 800 lbs branch that may tear loose from the top of the cottonwood tree. The jokes went something like this- “The newspaper will read Four hunters and 24 ducks were found dead in a crushed duck blind. Two PETA members and a chainsaw are in custody.” Oh well.
:thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:28 am

A day I will never forget. Me and a buddy went out to Oakwood Bottoms, a local flooded timber spot, on a late season hunt. We set-up in my favorite spot on the corner of a large hole where you can easily be seen by every duck that cruises through the area. As we're setting up a couple of other guys coming splashing by with their dog and set up in another hole just one hole over from us, about 75 yards off. The day starts off with the usual early flight of woodies, but no shots taken by us or the other hunters. About 9 am as we were standing and talking about nothing much we look up to see an enormous flight of mallards, easily 200-300 hundred birds, flying high coming from the river. As a joke I blew on the call once or twice and then went back to talking. A few minutes later we look back up and they were heading back the other way a little lower this time. It took a couple more passes for us to finally realize what was happening. With each pass that wad of ducks were coming closer and closer to us! We all stood there in amazement as every duck in that flight started to funnel into the hole between us and the other guys. I guess we were all stunned by the sight of this because no one shot. Suddenly the realization of what we had on our hands sunk in and that we hadn't shot a single shot hit us. Me and my buddy quietly discussed what we should do, here we had a ton of ducks sitting just yards away from us and we wanted them to come out our way. Suddenly the other guys dog got jumpy and took off. Every mallard in that flock came straight at us! I had always heard people talk about not being able to pick out one single bird in a big flock but have never experienced it until then. My first three shots only produced one bird and then I was shooting a single shot as I grabbed a shell out on my shell bag, loaded, and shot each time. As this is going on I hear somehting in the back of my mind but my focus was one hundred percent on these birds. As I reach for yet another shell my buddy gives me a sharp push and i realized the sound I was hearing was him. He had only come that day with 5 shells and was trying to get me to hand him a few. I finally tell him where the shell bag is, on my side of the tree we were standing next to, and go back to shooting. As I do so I keep hearing, "Sh*t", plop, Sh*t, plop". My buddy was in such a rush he grabbed and dropped at least 6 of my shells. As the last of the birds cleared out and the chaos ended, we began to gather them up. I had managed to scratch out 5 birds (ya not great but I was young and awe struck) and my buddy only killed 2 (apparently I wasn't the only one that was awe struck cause I've seen him make some amazing shots). Of course this all only lasted minutes but so much happened in those minutes that it seems like a lifetime looking back. we stood there for a few minutes just staring at the sky and then without a word to one another we begin picking up decoys. Without a word we both realized that this day was not going to get any better and we might as well pack it up. I can still see it all as if it happened just yesterday. If that never again happens in my life it would be ok with me, just to experience it once will fill a lifetime.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:28 am

Rat Creek wrote:The jokes went something like this- “The newspaper will read Four hunters and 24 ducks were found dead in a crushed duck blind. Two PETA members and a chainsaw are in custody.” Oh well.
:thumbsup:

Oh, dear Lord!

:toofunny:
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby WORM » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:13 am

Here is some short version huntng stories

I got my first goose and had to swim for it, Had to take off hip wader because it was neck high deep so they were useless.

I shot 4 mallards with three shells once. (limit on mallards)

I shot a deer in the head at 225 yards with a bolt action shotgun,

I got my first buck with bow and arrow after crawling 400 yds through snow and corn stubble.

I shot my first deer w/a firearm after hitting it 9 times and would not go down, my mom was a witness.

My first duck was 10 years ago, a woodduck , on my wall to this day.

I shot my first banded goose 2 years ago which is on my wall with the framed band certificate.

After a no-luck deer hunting trip from my grandpas(200 miles away)I was sleeping and my dad saw a lady hit a deer outside of Granite falls, MN. she let us keep the deer, now thats what I call road hunting.

And thats all I can think of right now.
PRACTICE. If you can't get every shot through the same hole, there's room for improvment
WORM
hunter

Favorite hunt ever

Postby KAhunter » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:18 am

had one of my favorite hunts last year hunting geese in virginia... i have hunted a fair number of geese, but mainly it was out of pit blinds or over a pond or open water.... well we have satarted hunting this farmers land about 3 years back and he always keeps an eye out for some geese.. as he says it, "ya'll should kill all you can, and then kill some more" he hates them and we love to hunt them so it seems to work out... well he calls us and tells us he has a field with some geese in it, and after a day of scouting, we wake up early one morning and get out there... with about 2 1/2 dozen decoys set out, laying on our backs (there was 4 of us), corn covering us with a goose decoy on our chests, we managed to limit out in about 30 minutes... then ext day we hunted in currituck county at my hunting lodge, and managed 30 ducks, including 16 teal out of 1 flock ( there was 4 of us again).... the goose hunt was probably the most fun hunt i have ever been on, and it was capped off with a great duck hunt the next day
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby DuffMaN » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:14 am

This years opening day for ducks: We are sitting in our boat all camo'd up and we've been hearing shots for 15 minutes but have seen nothing. All in a sudden a duck comes straight towards us anad starts flaring to land not 15 yards away. It was kind of like slow motion when I sent an ounce and an eighth of steel his way and ended his day.
"I hope I don't have any drugs in the ashtray..."
-Drummond Taylor
DuffMaN
hunter

Postby Brent Futter » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:12 am

More good luck than good fortune, Duck shooting with my Dad and other family members as an 9 year old, we were shooting Paradise ducks that had mobbed up and were feeding on crops (mobs in excess of 1500) "para's" are easy to decoy and we had mai mais set up in the paddock a combination of hay bales and tarpulins. Dad had borrowed a side x side from a relative and soon discovered that the firing pin was defective as when pulling the trigger both barrells were discharging much to the discomfort of his shoulder. He was explaining this to myself and several cousins while reloading I said to him as i was peering out the mai mai that I wasn't standing in front of him then and as I moved to the left he closed the barrells and as he did so both barrells of the shotgun discharged I would have been cut in half certainly used up one of my nine lives that day I have certainly used a few more since then but touch wood I'm still here.
Warm Barrels and Tight Lines give you the greatest satisfaction
Brent Futter
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:51 pm

Well I'm new here and would like to post a few of mine. My most memorable was on a river that you could throw a rock across but was about 20 foot deep. After we got the spread of 9 duck and 6 geese decoys out we set down to eat out breakfast on the point of our tiny island. There is a pond not far from there and I could hear a lone suzzy giving it heck over there in the darkness. So I told my budddy to catch my expert calling and I would get her over here. Little did I know just how lonely she was. Three quick blasts on the call and she landed at our feet. Not 30 seconds later and 5 minutes till legal light and her calling out to find her future companion over 100 mallards hit the water with us sitting there. I just knew we would get busted but we had to try and get to our guns and pray they stuck around. Sure as the world they didn't even give us a second thought. At exactly legal time we got them up and sent 6 shots at em and dang if 6 green heads didn't hit the water. With all the shooting out came woodies from every direction and we both connected on 2 each. Knowing it couldn't get much better we set down to finish our breakfast and 5 green heads came back and 2 didn't make it out. As I retrieved the downed birds a hooded meganser buzzed the blind and my buddy connected and as I stepped out on the bank a gadwall light in the deks and I nailed it. A limit of ducks and only 3 calls made before daylight all within 20 minutes. As we were tearing down the blind we could hear geese coming in the distance and my buddy whom is flat out awesome on a goose flute called in so many geese that it was hard not wanting to just shoot in amungstem. We killed our limit of 4 geese (2 each)before they got out of there. That is was and probably will forever be my best ever hunt.

A funny one came when I was hunting that same river and my waders froze to the log I was setting on. I splashed water on em and finally got my feet under me and stood up tearing the hole rear end out of my waders. Sound impossible doesn't it? Well I sure did it.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole