Exxon/Mobil

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Exxon/Mobil

Postby gsphunter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:16 pm

I've said it wouldn't work in the past, but I'm willing to try anything to start saving some money.

Don't buy fuel at Exon/Mobil gas stations. This will put the hurts to one company instead of attacking them all at once which is impossible. If that company starts losing money, then they will be forced to lower prices for competitions sake. Then maybe with a hope and a prayer we could put competition back in the fuel business.

Tell me how this would work or wouldn't, because I still doubt it will help, but I need anything to try now. I need to be able to hunt this fall.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:15 pm

People, we don't have a production problem with oil. We have a refinery problem.

Here in California, the dang liberals havn't let us build a refinery in about 20 yrs, mean while the population has probably went up at least 50% if not more. We are producing and purchasing enough crude oil. We just don't have the capacity to refine it.

Boycotting the big boys might ding them for a littl bit.

Boycot a LIBERAL.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:59 am

Ace, you nailed it.

There is no shortage of oil, but a major shortage in refineries. Before the hurricane, our refineries ran at about 98% of capacity just to handle our current demand. That is why gas prices are high. The hurricane just took out about 10% of our capacity. That means we are now using more fuel than we can produce.

The short term solution is to try to reduce fuel consumption (drive less).

The long term solution is we MUST create more refining capacity and reduce our dependence on foreign oil. The democrats are in the pockets of the left wing environmental wacks, who vehemently oppose any increase in production and any construction of new refineries. Basically, we find ourselves in left wing democrat nirvana. High gas prices and shortages are what they have wanted for decades.

Why are oil prices high? That is called a monopoly, or in oil terms, a cartel. The oil producers get together and set prices and production. This type of activity is illegal in the United States, and another reason we need to drill for new oil here.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby worknem » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:10 am

Ace and Rat are on the mark with more Production and Refining within the US.

One thing to add that throws a glich in your idea for protest. All gasoline producers trade amungst themselves and a portion of the time when you fill up at your favorite station you are buying gasoline or diesel made by another company. Sometimes the company will inject thier own additives, sometimes not. So you see targeting any one Refiner sounds great in theory, but, chances are the different branded station you fill up at may have gotten a good deal on the spot market and be selling the very gas you are boycotting.

One other item I refrained from posting about on the gas price Thread. If a person was to compare the gas prices of last week (this week's I feel are not representative) to the price of gas in 1982 and figure in inflation, gas has continued to be below the curve with most other commodities.

Another little tid bit. The first of July oil analysts predicted (this was media covered) that gas prices would reach 3$ a gallon for RUL by 1 Sep. This due to trends at the time in the crude market and traditional increased demand over the Labor Day weekend. (When haven't we seen gas and diesel prices not go up over said weekend?). Couple this prediction with the current crisis in the south and it gets real ugly.

Once again Ace and Rat couldn't have said it better. I'll hop back in my usual lurking cave now and be good.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:38 pm

gas prices have gone up here at the local chevron station about 40 cents in the last 4 days. 2.95/gal for regular unleaded.

the shell station down the street is still 2.85/gal for now, but i'm sure they'll follow suit soon enough.

:pissed:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:38 pm

Consider yourself luck Swampy. I'm paying 3.18 a gallon. :thumbsdown:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:39 pm

Dead right Workem. Gasoline is a comodity and sold on the open market. The only difference from one station to another is the additives. Every major suppliers buys and sells from each other to cover shortages. The big players supply all the smaller players.

While I love the concept of the protest, in reality, it can't work.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:45 pm

another comodity that hasn't done much in 30yrs is wheat, and other grains. I can't see how my family can still be farming back in Kansas after all of these years.

God Bless them and all of the other Farmers. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby HuntingWife » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:23 am

worknem wrote:Another little tid bit. The first of July oil analysts predicted (this was media covered) that gas prices would reach 3$ a gallon for RUL by 1 Sep. This due to trends at the time in the crude market and traditional increased demand over the Labor Day weekend. (When haven't we seen gas and diesel prices not go up over said weekend?). Couple this prediction with the current crisis in the south and it gets real ugly.

Well said, and thanks for reminding us!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:05 pm

I heard that their quarterly report was in. They made, sit down for this one, $5,000,000,000.00........(thats BILLION) more this quarter than they did in the same quarter last year. I think I'll invest in vaseline manufactures.
(not sure, I'll have to look it up again, but it MAY have been 50 billion)
:cool:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole