The looting in NO.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:55 am

jasonphoto01 wrote:. Its ashame we can get a million troops in iraq in a matter of hours but its takeing days to get water to N.O.

I do believe it took us longer than a matter of hours to get our troops into Iraq. As far as a lack of response goes; you do the best with what you got. Is it really feasable to keep 100,000 busses sitting around just incase you need to evacuate a state? How do you keep enough resources sitting around for an emergency that covers 3 states?

As far as looters and groups of people running around with AK's. I think a few bursts of the gattlin gun from the side of a helicopter would put them in there place! 6ft under! Unfortunately, the media would make up some story like "Military slaughters innocect civillians cellebrating a wedding by shooting their AK's into the air! Then there would be this huge investigation, millions of dollars would be wasted, Liberal polaticians would start grandstanding and some poor shmuck who was flying the chopper would get 10 years in Levinworth for doing the world a favor.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:01 pm

If only we weren't so racist. :hammering: j/k.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:20 am

I didn't know where to post this, given all the discussions we've had on here in the past few days, but here it is. Needless to say, I am LIVID. If I ever meet Kanye West, he will know how I feel about a citizen's right to bear arms.

Kanye West Rips Bush at Hurricane Aid Show

A celebrity telethon for Hurricane Katrina survivors took an unexpected turn when outspoken rapper Kanye West went off script during the live broadcast, declaring America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible."

"A Concert for Hurricane Relief," which aired on NBC and other networks Friday night, began, fittingly enough, with jazz from New Orleans natives Harry Connick Jr. and Wynton Marsalis.

The host was NBC News' Matt Lauer, who invited viewers to contribute to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund by phone or on the Web. Some 18 presenters performed musical numbers or gave information on the tragedy's huge scope.

Since the hurricane, people have displayed a massive outpouring of charity. Total donations passed the $200 million mark by Friday, four days after the storm slammed into the Gulf Coast. The bulk of those funds were collected by the Red Cross, which said it has raised $196.9 million from individuals and corporations.

Appearing two-thirds through the program, West took the government to task, claiming "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

Comedian Mike Myers was paired with West for a 90-second segment that began with Myers speaking of Katrina's devastation. Then, to Myers' evident surprise, West began a rant by saying, "I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."

While allowing that "the Red Cross is doing everything they can," West — who delivered an emotional outburst at the American Music Awards after he was snubbed for an award — declared that government authorities are intentionally dragging their feet on aid to the Gulf Coast. Without getting specific, he added, "They've given them permission to go down and shoot us."

After he stated, "George Bush doesn't care about black people," the camera cut away to comedian Chris Tucker.

Concluding the hour a few minutes later, Lauer noted that "emotions in this country right now are running very high. Sometimes that emotion is translated into inspiration, sometimes into criticism. We've heard some of that tonight. But it's still part of the American way of life."

In a statement, NBC said, "Kanye West departed from the scripted comments that were prepared for him, and his opinions in no way represent the views of the networks.

"It would be most unfortunate," the statement continued, "if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

The show, simulcast from New York on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and Pax, was aired live to the East Coast, enabling the Grammy-winning rapper's outburst to go out uncensored. West's comment about the president was cut from NBC's West Coast airing, which showed three hours later on tape.

There was a several-second tape delay, but the person in charge "was instructed to listen for a curse word, and didn't realize (West) had gone off-script," NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks added.

Friday's program was the first of several TV benefits planned through next weekend.

New Orleans son Aaron Neville performed Randy Newman's soulful "Louisiana 1927" with the memorable chorus, "they're trying to wash us away, they're trying to wash us away."

"In terms of property damage," said actress Hilary Swank, "the estimate is at least $26 billion in insured losses and perhaps twice that in uninsured losses over a 90,000-square-mile area — approximately the size of Kansas."

Other speakers included Lindsay Lohan, Eric LaSalle, Glenn Close, Richard Gere, John Goodman and Leonardo DiCaprio.

New York governor George Pataki presented the Red Cross with a check for $2.5 million and promised, "This great state will do far more."

NBC and the five other major commercial broadcast networks, along with PBS, plan to unite next Friday for a special. The same night, BET will air a benefit. And on Saturday, Sept. 10, the MTV networks will air a special.
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:21 pm

this is what we must understand.

the some of the people that stayed did so for one reason, they knew if they survived it would be open shop. the people that are looting are'nt looking to be saved. they live in the ninth and seventh ward districts in NO are are completely comfortable without power and running water. this is everyday life for them. since katrina hit it has been nothing but a week long shopping spree for them.

As for the manditory evacuation the order was'nt given until sunday afternoon and by then the people with no means of transportation were stuck. they could only hope to make it to the superdome. its a sad situation but thats what you get from our government these days.

then after it was all said and done we got to watch our idiot of a governor tell us wednesday that they were in the planning stages to handle the situation (2 days later... just a little late to start planning) all she does is sit in Baton Rouge and watch the press interviews with the governors of miss. and al. and repeat what they say. she can't handle the situation and is looking for anyway she can to save face. i say this not because she is a woman not by any means she is just not strong enough to deal with the task at hand.

there are entirely too many chiefs and not enough indians to handle the situation.we had over 120 boats leave from lafayette to help with the evacuation efforts when they got to NO all but 4 were turned around because they said they were not needed but at 5:00 pm the news reported that rescue efforts were hampered by a lack of boats. i'm sure that safety was an issue but if these men and women wanted to risk there lives to help out i don't see any reason they should not have been allowed to.

I can go on and on but thats enough for one night
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:46 pm

For your enjoyment :yes: :yes: :yes:

http://www.zippyvideos.com/891102377101 ... in_wlamart

Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:07 am

Oh SC and Gunman and the other LE guys will just LOVE that video... :mrgreen:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gunman » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:47 am

hmmmmm, well I'll say this, I received a phone call yesterday, I was asked to join a "Special Forces" group that will be leaving Minnesota to possibly go down there to help with security and order....I guess the big wigs haven't received the green light but there working on it....I'll give you a first hand report if we are deployed......as far as the video goes.....I’m not in there situation, the camera only shows one side of a hexagon of views, who knows they could be collecting those shoes for the homeless who are walking around barefoot......
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:34 am

Those bras and blouses will be a BIG help for all the refugees...NO food or water in that cart :yes: :yes: :yes: Shoot em on sight :cool:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:33 am

They asked us to go down there. They are looking for 1000 2 man teams of Firefighters. We need to have all clothing, personal hygeince items, etc in a bookbag along with our sleeping bag and be self suficient for a minimum 30 days. Also must bring a basic medical jumpkit. It pays 23 dollars an hour with my training and overtime of $29. I am thinking about it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:35 am

Be careful no matter what you decide ks. And good luck
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Looting in NO

Postby MicroMike » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:06 pm

My emergency management buddies tell me that the Fed always says that it takes 3 days minimum for the fed to properly respond to a natural dissaster. Until then, the local and state government should have plans and peole in place. The difference here is that the Local and state gov (mayor of NO and governer of LA) are complaining to deflect heat from themselves. Ultimately this has been a failure on the local (new orleans) and State (LA) level.

NO is a big welfare city, so of course they expect the federal government to help them even though they did not help themselves. The city didn't even try to evac the people that do not have transportation. It was an incredible failure by a mayor that will probably be re-elected next time around because he has managed to shift the blame.

This was a cat 5 hurricane. This is what happens when you're below sea level in a cat 5.

When Moore, Ok was hit twice in consecutive years, it was the state and local government that responded first and effectively. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it was a class 5 tornado. The radio stations were telling people that if they were not below ground, then they should get in their cars and flee, because nothing above ground would survive the storm.... They were right. If you go to Moore today, you will not see any old buildings.

It also helped that the people of Moore did not start behaving like animals.
MicroMike
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole