2017-2018 season prep thread...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:definitely, 100% ruddys.
Looks really good DC... :clapping: Have you given thought to maybe sinking some christmas trees in the muck around the blind and planting the cord grass in that? The tree limbs would help the wave action from eroding the cord grass once the roots entangle the limbs. Would think it would help until the grass gets a solid footing and becomes established again. If it's too late to get christmas trees, maybe try burying cedar trees.

BTW, thanks for the waterfowl pics...awesome.


That's a real good Idea, but I'm afraid of creating a punji stick area that Ellie would launch into. Hopefully we'll get that marsh hoe out there and we'll get to do some good things to slow erosion. The biggest thing is maintaining a low water level. There's no where dump it if everything around you is flooded. I sure hope we have a stable weather pattern this year, with no big surprises.
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:39 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:definitely, 100% ruddys.
Looks really good DC... :clapping: Have you given thought to maybe sinking some christmas trees in the muck around the blind and planting the cord grass in that? The tree limbs would help the wave action from eroding the cord grass once the roots entangle the limbs. Would think it would help until the grass gets a solid footing and becomes established again. If it's too late to get christmas trees, maybe try burying cedar trees.

BTW, thanks for the waterfowl pics...awesome.


That's a real good Idea, but I'm afraid of creating a punji stick area that Ellie would launch into. Hopefully we'll get that marsh hoe out there and we'll get to do some good things to slow erosion. The biggest thing is maintaining a low water level. There's no where dump it if everything around you is flooded. I sure hope we have a stable weather pattern this year, with no big surprises.

I've not hunted with you in your new blind, so don't know how Ellie leaves the blind. I see a dog ramp, is that her primary exit and entrance? Or does she just launch from the platform in the direction the bird falls?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 70178
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:definitely, 100% ruddys.
Looks really good DC... :clapping: Have you given thought to maybe sinking some christmas trees in the muck around the blind and planting the cord grass in that? The tree limbs would help the wave action from eroding the cord grass once the roots entangle the limbs. Would think it would help until the grass gets a solid footing and becomes established again. If it's too late to get christmas trees, maybe try burying cedar trees.

BTW, thanks for the waterfowl pics...awesome.


That's a real good Idea, but I'm afraid of creating a punji stick area that Ellie would launch into. Hopefully we'll get that marsh hoe out there and we'll get to do some good things to slow erosion. The biggest thing is maintaining a low water level. There's no where dump it if everything around you is flooded. I sure hope we have a stable weather pattern this year, with no big surprises.

I've not hunted with you in your new blind, so don't know how Ellie leaves the blind. I see a dog ramp, is that her primary exit and entrance? Or does she just launch from the platform in the direction the bird falls?


She uses the ramp to climb back up, but pushes off from the top when launching and gets out there a little ways. I'd have to be careful of where I'd put the stuff, and it's needed to the south, right where she works most.
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:definitely, 100% ruddys.
Looks really good DC... :clapping: Have you given thought to maybe sinking some christmas trees in the muck around the blind and planting the cord grass in that? The tree limbs would help the wave action from eroding the cord grass once the roots entangle the limbs. Would think it would help until the grass gets a solid footing and becomes established again. If it's too late to get christmas trees, maybe try burying cedar trees.

BTW, thanks for the waterfowl pics...awesome.


That's a real good Idea, but I'm afraid of creating a punji stick area that Ellie would launch into. Hopefully we'll get that marsh hoe out there and we'll get to do some good things to slow erosion. The biggest thing is maintaining a low water level. There's no where dump it if everything around you is flooded. I sure hope we have a stable weather pattern this year, with no big surprises.

I've not hunted with you in your new blind, so don't know how Ellie leaves the blind. I see a dog ramp, is that her primary exit and entrance? Or does she just launch from the platform in the direction the bird falls?


She uses the ramp to climb back up, but pushes off from the top when launching and gets out there a little ways. I'd have to be careful of where I'd put the stuff, and it's needed to the south, right where she works most.

Gotcha.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 70178
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

I need to pick up a fuel injected four stroke tiller handle and take a boat to WJR customs for some mods. Recent success in our little timber hole has us needing a boat a little more. Also need to rig up a ranger crew to serve some of the same role as the boat. There was talk of building a big blind in the timber project, but we may hold off. Plant, grow, and harvest a crop on top of all of that.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 16971
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

ByersFarm wrote:I need to pick up a fuel injected four stroke tiller handle and take a boat to WJR customs for some mods. Recent success in our little timber hole has us needing a boat a little more. Also need to rig up a ranger crew to serve some of the same role as the boat. There was talk of building a big blind in the timber project, but we may hold off. Plant, grow, and harvest a crop on top of all of that.

What can you grow and harvest that is taller than the small trees?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 70178
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 am

Probably referencing the rice that helps pay for all that fun.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 17618
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:18 am

Indaswamp wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:I need to pick up a fuel injected four stroke tiller handle and take a boat to WJR customs for some mods. Recent success in our little timber hole has us needing a boat a little more. Also need to rig up a ranger crew to serve some of the same role as the boat. There was talk of building a big blind in the timber project, but we may hold off. Plant, grow, and harvest a crop on top of all of that.

What can you grow and harvest that is taller than the small trees?


Rick is correct. We are talking about planting a food plot in the trees, but I'm not sure why. It's was used heavily by mallards all January.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 16971
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby sask-hunter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 am

my season is just about to start,canadas have just arrived so it wont be long now until the snows show up.secured exclusive permission from a good friend who has several barley fields still out from fall and those fields gave us great shoots last year.cant wait to get out there and have those snows do the tornado down on us.
sask-hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm
Location: central saskatchewan

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby sask-hunter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 am

the real nice part of this is that my long time hunting buddy is also an outtfitter in this area so we will be using his big decoy spread.i wont have much to get ready.
sask-hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm
Location: central saskatchewan

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby teddysberna » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:I want to talk to the guys in our water blind about changing things up. We have floating blinds that end up being rectangular. Been thinking about ways to break it up, make it look more natural. I'm also thinking about scraping the grass and cane cover, turning it into a beaver hut.

beaver hut blind would be way cool!


That fella on here, I think he's out of Arkansas, that built one. Way cool looking blind. Dunno how much weight we'd be adding. Need to find old dried our drift wood.


Dave something, if I recall correctly... I just remember he had a small plane avatar... That blind he built was sweet looking
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
User avatar
teddysberna
hunter
 
Posts: 6692
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: Georgetown KY

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby possumfoot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm

teddysberna wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:I want to talk to the guys in our water blind about changing things up. We have floating blinds that end up being rectangular. Been thinking about ways to break it up, make it look more natural. I'm also thinking about scraping the grass and cane cover, turning it into a beaver hut.

beaver hut blind would be way cool!


That fella on here, I think he's out of Arkansas, that built one. Way cool looking blind. Dunno how much weight we'd be adding. Need to find old dried our drift wood.


Dave something, if I recall correctly... I just remember he had a small plane avatar... That blind he built was sweet looking


AR Dave?
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.


pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
User avatar
possumfoot
hunter
 
Posts: 6365
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 pm
Location: making sesbania my bitch

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:59 pm

sask-hunter wrote:the real nice part of this is that my long time hunting buddy is also an outtfitter in this area so we will be using his big decoy spread.i wont have much to get ready.


When do I have to show up? I'll buy gas and breakfasts
Tengo demasiado caca
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 19975
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:35 pm

possumfoot wrote:
teddysberna wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:I want to talk to the guys in our water blind about changing things up. We have floating blinds that end up being rectangular. Been thinking about ways to break it up, make it look more natural. I'm also thinking about scraping the grass and cane cover, turning it into a beaver hut.

beaver hut blind would be way cool!


That fella on here, I think he's out of Arkansas, that built one. Way cool looking blind. Dunno how much weight we'd be adding. Need to find old dried our drift wood.


Dave something, if I recall correctly... I just remember he had a small plane avatar... That blind he built was sweet looking


AR Dave?

That's the guy. I brought him some rails for a Ron Chapman pirouge to Byers Cook-out to save him $147.00 for shipping. The Cypress rails only cost $65 bucks. He flew in to Byers to pick them up.
And yes I agree-that beaver hut blind is very cool!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 70178
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby sask-hunter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
sask-hunter wrote:the real nice part of this is that my long time hunting buddy is also an outtfitter in this area so we will be using his big decoy spread.i wont have much to get ready.


When do I have to show up? I'll buy gas and breakfasts

lol..with these plus tempts ice just starting to leave shorelines,looks like an early spring tho.birds usually arrive by mid april..im still trying to get in some ice fishing yet but driving the truck onto ice is getting a little tougher now.lol
sask-hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm
Location: central saskatchewan

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:44 am

sask-hunter wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
sask-hunter wrote:the real nice part of this is that my long time hunting buddy is also an outtfitter in this area so we will be using his big decoy spread.i wont have much to get ready.


When do I have to show up? I'll buy gas and breakfasts

lol..with these plus tempts ice just starting to leave shorelines,looks like an early spring tho.birds usually arrive by mid april..im still trying to get in some ice fishing yet but driving the truck onto ice is getting a little tougher now.lol


Ice fishing is dumb . You'll die!
Tengo demasiado caca
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 19975
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
sask-hunter wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
sask-hunter wrote:the real nice part of this is that my long time hunting buddy is also an outtfitter in this area so we will be using his big decoy spread.i wont have much to get ready.


When do I have to show up? I'll buy gas and breakfasts

lol..with these plus tempts ice just starting to leave shorelines,looks like an early spring tho.birds usually arrive by mid april..im still trying to get in some ice fishing yet but driving the truck onto ice is getting a little tougher now.lol


Ice fishing is dumb . You'll die!


I've never ice fished yet I've had the truck-sinking-after-ice-broke dream quite a few times. :huh:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
User avatar
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond
 
Posts: 31538
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 5:33 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby sask-hunter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:01 am

the ice is still 3ft thick,its just the part of getting on thats tricky.by the weekend most will be walking on only.near the shore its only a few feet, you may get stuck but not submerse vehicle.and we take a bit of a run at it. :lol3:
sask-hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm
Location: central saskatchewan

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby sask-hunter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:14 am

ice fishing can be quite fun, sit in portable shelters with a few buddies,catch fish and have drinks.fishing closes end of march,opens again at the start of may.which works out good cause we will spend morning shooting snows and the afternoon/evening catching fish.dont get much better than that. :thumbsup:
sask-hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm
Location: central saskatchewan

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby sask-hunter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 pm

definitely spring here,seen snow geese today.way earlier than usual.
sask-hunter
hunter
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm
Location: central saskatchewan

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby High Sierras » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:53 am

Indaswamp wrote:I know, we have one more day, but for all practical purposes my season is over and I am focused on prepping for next season. So with that, here's what is on the agenda for off-season projects:
#1 The blind boat. This is top priority #1. No, this will not be a boat with a boat blind, this is a blind boat. The boat will be 4' wide X 12' long and will be low profile with side angled down @25* to the water. The shooting box for 3 hunters will be small and tight, 30 or 32" wide X 8' long and 14 or 16" tall.

3 guys in a 32" x14" x 96" box...

You guys must be really comfortable around each other. :lol3:

Indaswamp wrote:A short, 8' long scissor blind will fold up along each side so that you will just be able to see over it while sitting on a 14" tall shell bucket. he blind will only be about 30" off the water at it's tallest point. I already have a 6.5hp. short tail motor for it. This will still afford us the opportunity to hunt small and tight, yet be way more mobile and able to move as conditions dictate. It will also lessen the amount and frequency we need to cut brush, as raffia will be used to break up the scissor blind.

#2 repaint pintail decoys
#3 restring 12 dozen old deeks texas rig style
#4 change out the bow light that broke on the mud boat from pounding in 3' seas
#5 new motor for the duck plucker that was given to me by a friend

What is on your list for next season? I sure like the looks and feel of the new avian X decoys. Saw them for the first time this season and if they stand up to abuse, I may sell my entire spread and buy avian X for following season.
High Sierras
hunter
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 pm
Location: above the snow line most of the year

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 am

High Sierras wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I know, we have one more day, but for all practical purposes my season is over and I am focused on prepping for next season. So with that, here's what is on the agenda for off-season projects:
#1 The blind boat. This is top priority #1. No, this will not be a boat with a boat blind, this is a blind boat. The boat will be 4' wide X 12' long and will be low profile with side angled down @25* to the water. The shooting box for 3 hunters will be small and tight, 30 or 32" wide X 8' long and 14 or 16" tall.

3 guys in a 32" x14" x 96" box...

You guys must be really comfortable around each other. :lol3:

Indaswamp wrote:A short, 8' long scissor blind will fold up along each side so that you will just be able to see over it while sitting on a 14" tall shell bucket. he blind will only be about 30" off the water at it's tallest point. I already have a 6.5hp. short tail motor for it. This will still afford us the opportunity to hunt small and tight, yet be way more mobile and able to move as conditions dictate. It will also lessen the amount and frequency we need to cut brush, as raffia will be used to break up the scissor blind.

#2 repaint pintail decoys
#3 restring 12 dozen old deeks texas rig style
#4 change out the bow light that broke on the mud boat from pounding in 3' seas
#5 new motor for the duck plucker that was given to me by a friend

What is on your list for next season? I sure like the looks and feel of the new avian X decoys. Saw them for the first time this season and if they stand up to abuse, I may sell my entire spread and buy avian X for following season.

The boat will be 14~16" tall. The blind on the boat will be a scissor blind adjustable to a max. height of 42".

Where I'm at, small and tight blind = more ducks in the deeks.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 70178
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:57 am

Build a new blind for a little puddle I know of, something my son and I can sit in on the worst weather days.
A little TLC on my sneakbox.
I sent my layout boat to the boat right to get right....I'll post some pics of that once he digs into it.
I have materials for a 6 pack of brant that I plan to carve; foamers.
Need new waders.
Open water rig needs a good going over for the above mentioned layout boat.
As always, paint upkeep on puddle rig.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 8949
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: Great South Bay

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 am

Just finished this up today. Image
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 16971
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Looks good Cason. I like the jack stands and the roller dollies-smart man... :thumbsup: Blind looks good.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 70178
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dasimmon, Google [Bot] and 8 guests