2017-2018 season prep thread...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o

Re: 2017-2018 season prep thread...

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:definitely, 100% ruddys.
Looks really good DC... :clapping: Have you given thought to maybe sinking some christmas trees in the muck around the blind and planting the cord grass in that? The tree limbs would help the wave action from eroding the cord grass once the roots entangle the limbs. Would think it would help until the grass gets a solid footing and becomes established again. If it's too late to get christmas trees, maybe try burying cedar trees.

BTW, thanks for the waterfowl pics...awesome.

That's a real good Idea, but I'm afraid of creating a punji stick area that Ellie would launch into. Hopefully we'll get that marsh hoe out there and we'll get to do some good things to slow erosion. The biggest thing is maintaining a low water level. There's no where dump it if everything around you is flooded. I sure hope we have a stable weather pattern this year, with no big surprises.
D Comeaux
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:39 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Looks really good DC... :clapping: Have you given thought to maybe sinking some christmas trees in the muck around the blind and planting the cord grass in that? The tree limbs would help the wave action from eroding the cord grass once the roots entangle the limbs. Would think it would help until the grass gets a solid footing and becomes established again. If it's too late to get christmas trees, maybe try burying cedar trees.

That's a real good Idea, but I'm afraid of creating a punji stick area that Ellie would launch into. Hopefully we'll get that marsh hoe out there and we'll get to do some good things to slow erosion. The biggest thing is maintaining a low water level. There's no where dump it if everything around you is flooded. I sure hope we have a stable weather pattern this year, with no big surprises.

I've not hunted with you in your new blind, so don't know how Ellie leaves the blind. I see a dog ramp, is that her primary exit and entrance? Or does she just launch from the platform in the direction the bird falls?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:

I've not hunted with you in your new blind, so don't know how Ellie leaves the blind. I see a dog ramp, is that her primary exit and entrance? Or does she just launch from the platform in the direction the bird falls?

She uses the ramp to climb back up, but pushes off from the top when launching and gets out there a little ways. I'd have to be careful of where I'd put the stuff, and it's needed to the south, right where she works most.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:

She uses the ramp to climb back up, but pushes off from the top when launching and gets out there a little ways. I'd have to be careful of where I'd put the stuff, and it's needed to the south, right where she works most.

Gotcha.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

I need to pick up a fuel injected four stroke tiller handle and take a boat to WJR customs for some mods. Recent success in our little timber hole has us needing a boat a little more. Also need to rig up a ranger crew to serve some of the same role as the boat. There was talk of building a big blind in the timber project, but we may hold off. Plant, grow, and harvest a crop on top of all of that.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

ByersFarm wrote:I need to pick up a fuel injected four stroke tiller handle and take a boat to WJR customs for some mods. Recent success in our little timber hole has us needing a boat a little more. Also need to rig up a ranger crew to serve some of the same role as the boat. There was talk of building a big blind in the timber project, but we may hold off. Plant, grow, and harvest a crop on top of all of that.

What can you grow and harvest that is taller than the small trees?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 am

Probably referencing the rice that helps pay for all that fun.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:18 am

Indaswamp wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:I need to pick up a fuel injected four stroke tiller handle and take a boat to WJR customs for some mods. Recent success in our little timber hole has us needing a boat a little more. Also need to rig up a ranger crew to serve some of the same role as the boat. There was talk of building a big blind in the timber project, but we may hold off. Plant, grow, and harvest a crop on top of all of that.

What can you grow and harvest that is taller than the small trees?

Rick is correct. We are talking about planting a food plot in the trees, but I'm not sure why. It's was used heavily by mallards all January.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby sask-hunter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 am

my season is just about to start,canadas have just arrived so it wont be long now until the snows show up.secured exclusive permission from a good friend who has several barley fields still out from fall and those fields gave us great shoots last year.cant wait to get out there and have those snows do the tornado down on us.
sask-hunter
hunter

Postby sask-hunter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 am

the real nice part of this is that my long time hunting buddy is also an outtfitter in this area so we will be using his big decoy spread.i wont have much to get ready.
sask-hunter
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:I want to talk to the guys in our water blind about changing things up. We have floating blinds that end up being rectangular. Been thinking about ways to break it up, make it look more natural. I'm also thinking about scraping the grass and cane cover, turning it into a beaver hut.

beaver hut blind would be way cool!

That fella on here, I think he's out of Arkansas, that built one. Way cool looking blind. Dunno how much weight we'd be adding. Need to find old dried our drift wood.

Dave something, if I recall correctly... I just remember he had a small plane avatar... That blind he built was sweet looking
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm

teddysberna wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:I want to talk to the guys in our water blind about changing things up. We have floating blinds that end up being rectangular. Been thinking about ways to break it up, make it look more natural. I'm also thinking about scraping the grass and cane cover, turning it into a beaver hut.

That fella on here, I think he's out of Arkansas, that built one. Way cool looking blind. Dunno how much weight we'd be adding. Need to find old dried our drift wood.

Dave something, if I recall correctly... I just remember he had a small plane avatar... That blind he built was sweet looking

AR Dave?
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:59 pm

sask-hunter wrote:the real nice part of this is that my long time hunting buddy is also an outtfitter in this area so we will be using his big decoy spread.i wont have much to get ready.

When do I have to show up? I'll buy gas and breakfasts
Tengo demasiado caca
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:35 pm

possumfoot wrote:
teddysberna wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

AR Dave?

That's the guy. I brought him some rails for a Ron Chapman pirouge to Byers Cook-out to save him $147.00 for shipping. The Cypress rails only cost $65 bucks. He flew in to Byers to pick them up.
And yes I agree-that beaver hut blind is very cool!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sask-hunter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
sask-hunter wrote:the real nice part of this is that my long time hunting buddy is also an outtfitter in this area so we will be using his big decoy spread.i wont have much to get ready.

lol..with these plus tempts ice just starting to leave shorelines,looks like an early spring tho.birds usually arrive by mid april..im still trying to get in some ice fishing yet but driving the truck onto ice is getting a little tougher now.lol
sask-hunter
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:44 am

sask-hunter wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

lol..with these plus tempts ice just starting to leave shorelines,looks like an early spring tho.birds usually arrive by mid april..im still trying to get in some ice fishing yet but driving the truck onto ice is getting a little tougher now.lol

Ice fishing is dumb . You'll die!
Tengo demasiado caca
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
sask-hunter wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

Ice fishing is dumb . You'll die!

I've never ice fished yet I've had the truck-sinking-after-ice-broke dream quite a few times. :huh:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sask-hunter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:01 am

the ice is still 3ft thick,its just the part of getting on thats tricky.by the weekend most will be walking on only.near the shore its only a few feet, you may get stuck but not submerse vehicle.and we take a bit of a run at it. :lol3:
sask-hunter
hunter

Postby sask-hunter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:14 am

ice fishing can be quite fun, sit in portable shelters with a few buddies,catch fish and have drinks.fishing closes end of march,opens again at the start of may.which works out good cause we will spend morning shooting snows and the afternoon/evening catching fish.dont get much better than that. :thumbsup:
sask-hunter
hunter

Postby sask-hunter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 pm

definitely spring here,seen snow geese today.way earlier than usual.
sask-hunter
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:53 am

Indaswamp wrote:I know, we have one more day, but for all practical purposes my season is over and I am focused on prepping for next season. So with that, here's what is on the agenda for off-season projects:
#1 The blind boat. This is top priority #1. No, this will not be a boat with a boat blind, this is a blind boat. The boat will be 4' wide X 12' long and will be low profile with side angled down @25* to the water. The shooting box for 3 hunters will be small and tight, 30 or 32" wide X 8' long and 14 or 16" tall.

3 guys in a 32" x14" x 96" box...

You guys must be really comfortable around each other. :lol3:

Indaswamp wrote:A short, 8' long scissor blind will fold up along each side so that you will just be able to see over it while sitting on a 14" tall shell bucket. he blind will only be about 30" off the water at it's tallest point. I already have a 6.5hp. short tail motor for it. This will still afford us the opportunity to hunt small and tight, yet be way more mobile and able to move as conditions dictate. It will also lessen the amount and frequency we need to cut brush, as raffia will be used to break up the scissor blind.

#2 repaint pintail decoys
#3 restring 12 dozen old deeks texas rig style
#4 change out the bow light that broke on the mud boat from pounding in 3' seas
#5 new motor for the duck plucker that was given to me by a friend

What is on your list for next season? I sure like the looks and feel of the new avian X decoys. Saw them for the first time this season and if they stand up to abuse, I may sell my entire spread and buy avian X for following season.
High Sierras
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 am

High Sierras wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I know, we have one more day, but for all practical purposes my season is over and I am focused on prepping for next season. So with that, here's what is on the agenda for off-season projects:
#1 The blind boat. This is top priority #1. No, this will not be a boat with a boat blind, this is a blind boat. The boat will be 4' wide X 12' long and will be low profile with side angled down @25* to the water. The shooting box for 3 hunters will be small and tight, 30 or 32" wide X 8' long and 14 or 16" tall.

3 guys in a 32" x14" x 96" box...

You guys must be really comfortable around each other. :lol3:

Indaswamp wrote:A short, 8' long scissor blind will fold up along each side so that you will just be able to see over it while sitting on a 14" tall shell bucket. he blind will only be about 30" off the water at it's tallest point. I already have a 6.5hp. short tail motor for it. This will still afford us the opportunity to hunt small and tight, yet be way more mobile and able to move as conditions dictate. It will also lessen the amount and frequency we need to cut brush, as raffia will be used to break up the scissor blind.

#2 repaint pintail decoys
#3 restring 12 dozen old deeks texas rig style
#4 change out the bow light that broke on the mud boat from pounding in 3' seas
#5 new motor for the duck plucker that was given to me by a friend

What is on your list for next season? I sure like the looks and feel of the new avian X decoys. Saw them for the first time this season and if they stand up to abuse, I may sell my entire spread and buy avian X for following season.

The boat will be 14~16" tall. The blind on the boat will be a scissor blind adjustable to a max. height of 42".

Where I'm at, small and tight blind = more ducks in the deeks.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:57 am

Build a new blind for a little puddle I know of, something my son and I can sit in on the worst weather days.
A little TLC on my sneakbox.
I sent my layout boat to the boat right to get right....I'll post some pics of that once he digs into it.
I have materials for a 6 pack of brant that I plan to carve; foamers.
Need new waders.
Open water rig needs a good going over for the above mentioned layout boat.
As always, paint upkeep on puddle rig.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 am

Just finished this up today. Image

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Looks good Cason. I like the jack stands and the roller dollies-smart man... :thumbsup: Blind looks good.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole