Anyone else have trouble buying a duck stamp . . . ?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Anyone else have trouble buying a duck stamp . . . ?

Postby ralphtt » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:31 am

Teal/wood duck season opens here in Tennessee on September 10. Went by my local PO on September 2 to pick up a new duck stamp. Clerk said they didn't have any and to come back Tuesday, September 6. Went back on September 7 and he still didn't have any duck stamps. Have had this experience before at this branch PO and was not too surprised. :eek:

Went by another branch PO this morning (September 8) and was told by that clerk that they "didn't stock duck stamps". When I reminded the clerk the duck stamp was a Federal requirement and that the season opened Saturday, September 10, she said she didn't make the rules. I told her to tell her boss that they had a very upset customer and that with gas prices at a record high, it was getting expensive trying to find a duck stamp. :pissed:

Went by the local Walmart and bought a duck stamp . . . as I have before, but they don't always have them either.

OK, I'm through with my rant now . . . and am totally ready and pumped for our teal/wood duck season . . . sure hope we have a few ducks! :thumbsup:
Ralph
Patron Member NRA
ralphtt
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:37 am

I always buy my federal at wal-mart usually best place to go, I cant seem to make it to the PO b-4 close'n but always seems to take a while for state to be mailed to me.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:22 am

I went to Wal-Mart to buy mine too. I hate going there and really don't know why I do anymore. Anytime I go in there I have to wait around for someone to actually get back to the sporting goods dept. and then half the time I have to run the little machine they have because they don't have a clue.

Could just be the Wally World by my house though.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:34 am

I went to my local PO and they tried to sell me last years stamp the clerk told my I was wrong and until I pointed out the date on the stamp. I stopped at three places, I finally gave up and ordered it on line.
JJ McGuire
hunter

duck stamp

Postby MicroMike » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:54 am

My dad had the same experience at the PO in his town in Oklahoma. I told him to go to Wal mart. He did, and he bought one.

Oklahoma will let you do your HIP certification on line, and print it out at home. I think they will let you do the same thing with your license. More states need to do this. Now I don't have to race to an oklahoma wal mart on friday to get HIP certified so I can hunt on saturday (early teal and resident Canada goose in oklahoma).
MicroMike
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:42 pm

gsphunter wrote:I went to Wal-Mart to buy mine too. I hate going there and really don't know why I do anymore. Anytime I go in there I have to wait around for someone to actually get back to the sporting goods dept. and then half the time I have to run the little machine they have because they don't have a clue.

Could just be the Wally World by my house though.

I went to fred meyer (juneau's walmart) to buy ammo (on sale) I wait around
for a hour I even called for customer service and no one came I finally just left. I was so mad :pissed: but the ammo was so cheep that I came back the next day and almost bought them out.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:33 pm

Customer service is not an issue here there are about 3 people who work sporting goods here, due to they get more business in sporting good than in food dept.

BTW it’s an arkansaw thang.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:48 pm

I just got mine at WalMart

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

virginia

Postby KAhunter » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:13 pm

virginia just got its own state duck stamp... guess its good for some more money for wetland preservation and what not but just another thing i gotta pick up.. also usually get duck stamps at the post office around my way...
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:17 pm

Just remember, no duck stamp = a min of a $120 fine :eek:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:36 pm

I've had my federal for about 1 month. I buy mine at local sporting good store. The state stamp is lagging though. I will head in to the store sat. to see if they got any.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:37 pm

I went to buy my state stamp at gander mtn, and while I was purchasing it I inquired whther they had that too. They did, so two birds with one stone. No problems really, considering it was on the way home from work...a wash.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:42 pm

I usually try to buy License, State and Federal Duck stamps, and upland stamp all at one time, this year they have dolled them out pretty slow.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Return to The Honey Hole