gulf wetlands

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

gulf wetlands

Postby littleone » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:57 am

out of all the toxic waste in the water, do any of you think that it will hurt the quality of the waterfowl in the future ? i mean can the birds pick up any thing that can hurt us when we harvest and eat them. for example fish in the ohio do have levels of toxins in there bodys.
if the first shot doesnt work shoot again !
littleone
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:36 am

I'm sure it could affect the ducks health.

One positive thing that could come from that storm is the restoration of wetlands. I have heard several people saying that if NO would have had the delta marshes like they once were as a buffer for the storm surge, nothing would have happened to them. Maybe we'll see some good come out of the storm, after all we have see so far is bad except for the outpoor of help from people.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:28 am

I doubt many ducks will be landing in the flooded New Orleans basin. The other areas will probably be in great shape.

Besides, ducks don't fly that far south anymore. :umm:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:26 am

The duck huntin south of NO is screwed! All the saltwater introduced has killed all the grass for the ducks. But the hurricane will make duck huntin a hell of alot better up here where i hunt. When hurricane/tropical storms hit down there it makes huntin up here alot better.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:53 am

The wetlands are now part of the ocean...Im tellin y'all right now too, if someone doesnt come up with money to repair that whole area for a long term...the dux are screwed, along with ALOT of other things. Sorry ta rant, but, this has been a known problem for years. Now its gona cost BILLIONS, and, probably still be fubar :yes: :yes: :yes: Y'all have a nice day! :tounge: :tounge: :tounge:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:17 pm

The polution is widespread across the gulf coastal areas from reports that I read. You bet it'll be a problem. The invertabrates, sedges, etc... all will suffer and thus too will the ducks. Will the contaminated areas recover? sure, but it'll take a couple of years.

As for the lost coastal marshes. That is a totally different matter. It was estimated at 15 Billion before the storm to fix the loss of the coastal fresh water marshes. The problem is saltwater invasion killing of the vegetation and thus errosion happens. A dominoe effect has occured. Cypress swamps on the edge of NO are dead from the salt water--just stumps now. DU pledged 15 million for LA costal marshes this week. Nice gesture, but you'll need at least 1000 times that amount if not 1500 times that amount to make the necassary changes to restore the fresh water marshes.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole