EARLY TEAL HUNTING QUESTION.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

EARLY TEAL HUNTING QUESTION.

Postby openwaterhunter » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:02 pm

I have hunted for several years now and have not ever seen the first teal in the early season until today. I came across about 20-30 teal in a lake I haven't ever duck hunted in. I am going after them in the morning and would like some advise. I don't own a teal deks, but was wondering if they would decoy to hen woody deks? I am thinking of putting out about 5 hen deks and 1 mallard hen dek off to the side. I can't call em either but I have a call that is a teal call (7 in 1 deals). Should I do as it says on the card and just peep peep early in the morning or hit my mallard call? Hope ya'll can help. Daniel.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:06 pm

The decoys you have should work fine. As for calls, I would use a regular hen mallard call along with the whistle.
texan68
hunter

Postby Heather » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:16 pm

If you have mallard dekes use those, but just the hens. You probably won't need the call.
Heather
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:39 pm

we only use mallard dekes and call in teal, gaddy's, mallards of course, some woody's, redheads, geese, and more.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:43 pm

Teal decoy very readily and a few single soft quacks on the mallard call should be enough to bring them in. Don't over do the calling just a couple soft quacks every 15 -30 min. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:50 pm

never used a teal decoy in my life and i have shot a fair amount... they will decoy to a mallard spread just as well
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:16 pm

I just throw out my mallard dekes. Draeks and hens it really doesn't seem to matter. Oh, contrary to popular belief (especially these marshes) there is no need for the highball.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Merganser » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:47 am

I agree. Mallard decoys work just fine (maybe better, easier to see). No calls needed. If I were going to use a call for Teal, I would just peep on a whistle. Also, around here, the marsh is tidal and high tide is best time to hunt so they can see the decoys above grass line.
Merganser
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:03 am

All sound advise. If the ducks are already coming there then I would advise against calling. I would add a jerk string for when you first see them. Should go like this;

You see em' workin, get down and be still, shut up, pull jerk string, notice your heart beating out of your chest, then stand and deliver. :thumbsup:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:12 pm

Just be ready - when the Teal come in they're like fighter jets in a dog fight. They pop up - zoom through and are gone. They are also one of the best tasting ducks around.
tstrong
hunter

Postby poacher » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:34 pm

I agree, they are very fast...i was out in the marsh getting my pond and blind ready for the opener, and saw lots of blue winged teal. They are usually only around till about the 2nd week in october, then they are gone.
poacher
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole