When?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

When?

Land
3%
Air
97%

Total votes : 38

When?

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:42 pm

When do you shoot the ducks? When they land or while there in the air?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:47 pm

one quack it's by land...

two quacks it's in air...
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:33 pm

Its illegal to shoot them on the ground here, so when there feet are about to hit the ground :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:48 pm

I don't think its illegal here, but there really isn't any sport in shooting a duck/goose off the water. I try to shoot em on a pass.
texan68
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:27 pm

Mallardhunter,
Is it illegal to shoot on water? Can you shoot a cripple on water? If you can't shoot on land, can you shoot a cripple goose on land? Must be tough hunting without a dog if you can't swat a cripple Diver Duck. I can guarantee Sea Duck hunting could never be done without swatting a cripple. I want to take them in the air myself, but would never deny a youth the chance at a clean head swat. To each his own! :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:07 am

I shoot 'em in the air... I try to be as Sportsman like as possible (Fair Chase :salude: )

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:49 am

Its no fun or sportsman like to shoot them on the water. I try to let the first one land and then start cracking at those still attempting to land. This gives me a second or two to get a shot at the first one landing when he taking off.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

sitting or flying

Postby Mr Frog » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm

it is illegal to shoot a sitting duck or goose, may shoot a cripple because it isn't sitting.
when you see their drop, take em if ya can hit em and ya can wait that long. Pass shooting is by far the most fun and challenging. especially as season goes on adn birds get shy.
If you're gonna shoot it.....eat it.
Mr Frog
hunter

Postby liv2hunt » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:08 pm

I am not quick to judge, as I have done things that arent considered "ethical" but I have to ask, "who purposely shoots any bird other than turkeys while they arent flying?"

:thumbsdown:
liv2hunt
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:51 pm

If I had my way I'd shoot every single duck hovering 10 feet off the water. Since I can't have my way I'll take them any way I can get them.

There is a bag stigma related to water/ground swatting ducks and geese. I really don't see the problem though. IMO, pass shooting birds is much more unsportsmanlike than water/ground swatting. When pass shooting you really haven't fooled the birds one bit. You just line up under their flight path and let 'em have it. With water/ground swatting you have at least fooled the birds into landing.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:51 pm

that is a good poiny ol' yeller. I try to shoot them in the air but i will shoot some on water.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:32 pm

In what states is it illegal to water swat ducks and geese? Can you post a link to a credible source that you get your info. from? I think in most instances that you hear that water swatting ducks/geese is illegal it's more of a rumor than law.

I have and will water swat ducks depending on the situation. I don't do it very much, but if I'm in a hurry to get out of a hole I'll let them bunch up a little and get my limit with 2 or 3 shots. Very seldom does that situation present itself.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:56 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Mallardhunter,
Is it illegal to shoot on water? Can you shoot a cripple on water? If you can't shoot on land, can you shoot a cripple goose on land? Must be tough hunting without a dog if you can't swat a cripple Diver Duck. I can guarantee Sea Duck hunting could never be done without swatting a cripple. I want to take them in the air myself, but would never deny a youth the chance at a clean head swat. To each his own! :thumbsup:

Well they are suppose to be flying, but I think it is legal to shoot them if they are crippled. Well I do, if i can't run them down.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:12 pm

People who shoot ducks/geese on the ground or water rub me the wrong way(unless it's a cripple of course) Where's the challenge in shooting a landed duck?

Just my $.02

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:47 pm

well said mallardman :thumbsup: I feel a lot of hunters these days care only about killing a bunch of ducks, and don't take in the true meaning of just being outdoors and enjoying life. After hunting for some time now I could care less on how many ducks/geese I kill, but I just like being out in the field on those cold rainy days with a good dog and friends....to kill a few ducks/geese is a plus. To kill a bird on the water(unless its a cripple), tells me that you're desperate to kill a bird. If you don't shoot em flying, you'll never get to be a better shot.<<<<<My opinion
texan68
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:30 pm

texan and MM77-- Well put :salude:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:39 pm

Can anyone post up some links to their department of wildlife website or elsewhere where it says it is illegal to shoot a duck on the water?

I guess to each his own, but I don't spend thousands upon thousands of dollars every year and get up at 3 am just to sit on a log and not shoot a duck. I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum if I go home empty handed, but when I do it makes me want to work harder the next day to make sure it doesn't happen again. Going home empty handed means you're doing something wrong whether you just haven't scouted enough or something is wrong with your setup. Watching the sun rise and spending time with friends is second in line. It's called duck hunting not "sunrise watching" or "The Early Morning Social Club". Hell, I can watch the sunrise any day from my kitchen table in my 74 degree house with a cup of coffee that cost me a nickle.

Some people may say I'm unsportsmanlike, but those are typically the people who don't get out and do the work to shoot ducks consistently.

And to keep on the original subject of this thread. Swat 'em if you want and don't swat 'em if you want. At the end of the day it makes no difference to me or to anyone else.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:56 pm

Not much to seeing a duck roll backwards in the dirt and fall? I'm with Texan - give me a cold wet rainy day with my dog and huntin buddy and we'll solve the worlds problems.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:48 pm

I think some of you guys need to read your federal regulations , You are not allowed to shoot any waterfowl on the ground or water other than a cripple. In my home state when you go after a cripple in the boat you have to have your gun empty, you have to shut off your motor and all forward motion has to be stopped before you can shoot a cripple.I just read tonight in Wildfowl Magazine that in Minn. you have to have your gun empty and in the case to chase a cripple in your boat, then you have to stop all forward motioin and shut your boat motor off before you can load your gun to shoot the cripple. Some states are more restrictive than that. Read your states game laws, If you can't find a copy at your local sporting goods store , do a google search for your states conservation dept.When they write you the ticket they tell you ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.Be safe and hunt smart.....
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby gunman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:25 am

I have never been able to see the logic in that.....if its a cripple, they should be able to motor right up to it and shoot it and be done with it.....instead of giving the duck evey ample abillity to keep getting away while your waiting for the boat to stop and then have to get the gun out of the case...oww look now the birds another 100 yards away, guess we'll have to unload, case the gun, start the motor run up to it again....repeat....repeat....repeat.....tell me were the logic is?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:50 am

Duck Whittler wrote:I think some of you guys need to read your federal regulations , You are not allowed to shoot any waterfowl on the ground or water other than a cripple.

Where is this listed? Where is the source? I have searched through pages and pages of federal regulations and haven't seen where this is even mentioned. Either it's just not there or hidden somewhere for everyone to be bringing this up. I challenge somebody to find it and post up the link. :tounge:

I know for a fact that in the state of Arkansas there is nothing that prohibits water swatting in the regulations. If anyone cares to dispute this I will be more than happy to give you 3 game warden's cell numbers so that y'all can hash it out and then report back. I suggest that most of you need to read into your regs. a little more instead of taking people's word for it.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:25 am

I asked a Maryland Ranger "if" we could shoot ducks on the water or ground and I was told NO. He said you can not even fire a shot to jump them as this might be considered shooting at them on the water. Its not in our state guide so I don't know where it comes from. But then many laws you can get tickets for are not clearly spelled out either and I am sure they hide small stuff like this on purpose.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gunman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:31 am

ya know the ironic thing is? The Regulations go into such detail that they tell me that I can't use explosives for hunting waterfowl, but you think hey would mention shooting on the water? :help:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:31 am

Think it Nova Scotia where they shoot ducks on water...Thier line of thinking is that it takes greater skill and patients to get them to land in your spread before blastin em...Different strokes for different folks I reckon :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:42 am

I have never seen anything about it in my state regs. If ya want to take the easy way out and smack em on the water, fine. I know I have never done it, or even considered doing it. I guess we all have our own ideas of what hunting is.
texan68
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole