When?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

When?

Land
3%
Air
97%

Total votes : 38

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:52 am

texan68 wrote:Who cares if it’s legal or not. If ya want to take the easy way out and smack em on the water, fine. I know I have never done it, or even considered doing it. I guess we all have our own ideas of what hunting is.

I care if it is illegal or not. If you're going to state things as fact provide a legitimate source to back your statement up.

That's all fine and dandy that you won't water/ground swat a bird. Good for you. It's no skin off my back whether you do or don't. Just don't come onto a public forum and type opinions and try to pass them as fact UNLESS you can back them up.

I do have my own idea of what hunting is passed down to me through 3 generations of hardcore duck hunters not sunrise watchers. If I happen to water swat 2 or 3 ducks a season what does it matter? Flushing them, allowing them to get 6" off the water and then filling them full of steel isn't very sporting either just like pass shooting or shooting a mallard at 15 yards hovering 10 feet over the water.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:29 am

yeah I stated that wrong...as you will see, I have changed it. I meant that I have never done it, or have I ever thought about doing it. Chill out, that messege wasn't guided directly to you. Duck hunting, along with other types of hunting has been in my family for a long time as well....I don't know why you are calling it sunrise watching, we are duck hunting, we just don't care about getting ducks as much as you do, to the point where we would shoot em off the water.
texan68
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:09 am

texan68 wrote:yeah I stated that wrong...as you will see, I have changed it. I meant that I have never done it, or have I ever thought about doing it. Chill out, that messege wasn't guided directly to you. Duck hunting, along with other types of hunting has been in my family for a long time as well....I don't know why you are calling it sunrise watching, we are duck hunting, we just don't care about getting ducks as much as you do, to the point where we would shoot em off the water.

Don't worry. I am chilled. None of this stuff on the internet has ever gotten my blood pressure to rise even one point. This is all entertainment and I'm treating it as such.

Maybe I was premature is using the term "sunrise hunting" before I found out how long you have been on internet duck hunting forums. It seems in the 6 years I've been on different forums I have seen the people morph from their main reason for going out was to actually kill ducks to now the sunrise and bs'ing is the #1 reason people are out there. It is now to the point that on some forums it is taboo to speak of actually wanting to kill a duck.

As far as the water swatting thing goes... As I said on a previous post:
I guess to each his own, but I don't spend thousands upon thousands of dollars every year and get up at 3 am just to sit on a log and not shoot a duck. I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum if I go home empty handed, but when I do it makes me want to work harder the next day to make sure it doesn't happen again. Going home empty handed means you're doing something wrong whether you just haven't scouted enough or something is wrong with your setup.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:16 pm

Duck Whittler wrote:I think some of you guys need to read your federal regulations , You are not allowed to shoot any waterfowl on the ground or water other than a cripple. In my home state when you go after a cripple in the boat you have to have your gun empty, you have to shut off your motor and all forward motion has to be stopped before you can shoot a cripple.I just read tonight in Wildfowl Magazine that in Minn. you have to have your gun empty and in the case to chase a cripple in your boat, then you have to stop all forward motioin and shut your boat motor off before you can load your gun to shoot the cripple. Some states are more restrictive than that. Read your states game laws, If you can't find a copy at your local sporting goods store , do a google search for your states conservation dept.When they write you the ticket they tell you ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.Be safe and hunt smart.....
Wes

Its legal here to water swat em' and sometimes if its a cripple ill go and hit it with a stick, slam its head down on the stock of my buddy's gun, or ring its neck.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby puddlerjumper » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:21 pm

On your buddys gun???? What's the deal with that GB???? :toofunny:
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:32 pm

Gooseboy is a smart one. Use somebody else's gun for the dirty work! :thumbsup: :laughing: :laughing:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:36 pm

When I do the occasional pond jumping trip, I shoot some on the water every now and then. I don't get my kicks off water swatting, but I don't lose sleep over it. I'm with ol' yeller. I love to be outside and just the excitement of seeing birds come off a roost 2 miles down the road will give me my fill, but I'm out there for one reason and that is to kill ducks. I normally don't let them land, but every once in a while when I'm solo hunting, one will sneak into the spread when I doze off and I give them hell. I'll tell you one thing, you don't get a tenth of as many cripples as you do with the flying birds so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :cool: :toofunny:
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:18 pm

puddlerjumper wrote:On your buddys gun???? What's the deal with that GB???? :toofunny:

Funny story, it was like my 2nd time duck hunting and i got a huge mallard earle in the season that i kicked my own a** for not getting it mounted, but anyway it was still alive and i was carrying it and the guy sticks out the but of his gun and goes "wack it on here" i was like what? and hes like slam its head on here so i raised it up with two hands above my head and brought the head down as hard as i could 2 or 3 times and the dang thing was still alive!

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby puddlerjumper » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:28 pm

That's a rookie for you lol...
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:04 pm

lol no hes been hunting since he was a kid (hes like 38 or something) i think he was jus messin with me. You get my PM?

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:15 pm

I shoot em in the air. I would rather see people water/ground slouce them than skybust or pass shoot them and end up with a bunch of sailers that they never recover....
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:04 pm

Ground pounding, no way where’s the sport. Besides nothing like seeing those wings and head fold back, then the splash. :toofunny:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole