What is Skybusting?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

What is Skybusting?

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:33 pm

Sounds like a stuiped question but what is skybusting?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:39 pm

Everyone probably has their own idea of what skyblasting is. I consider it to be shooting at a duck of goose that is either to high up, or when you just happen to be lucky enough for some to fly over you and you get a shot or two off even though they are flying over like your spread isn't even there.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:50 pm

My definition of skybusting is when a hunter shoots at birds that are out of range. The problem with this is, many birds are shot, but don't fall, and glide for awhile before dying. I can recall many times when eating lunch back at the lodge, when a flock of snows will fly over, and 1 or 2 will just fall out.
texan68
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Gooseboy, I think we need to get you a duck hunting book or something before the season starts.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:56 am

GB, dont worry.

I asked Snaf that same question not 3 weeks ago :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:20 am

..(dont' worry ARN we didn't forget)................make that two books................. :tounge:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Merganser » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:40 am

Skybusting: anybody shooting before I get the chance!
Merganser
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:46 am

besides wounding birds, it generally scares off any decoying birds of those hunting in the vicinity (which makes you real popular in the marsh). In short no good things come from sky busting.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:53 am

what everyone else said. I'll also add that my definition of sky busting includes ANYTHING over 35-40 yards, regardless of shot-shell or gun advertisment. IMO, if you take shots over forty yards you are a crippling game waster, not a hunter. The ONLY people who are exempt from my opinion are those that go to the trap range twice a week 52 weeks per year. My opinion also holds for deer hunting. My 30-06 has more than enough knock-down power for 500 plus yards but I would NEVER take such a shot because I want to fill my freezer, not lay the country-side full of rotting game. :smile:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:04 am

I don't know, personally I would have to say a person who CONTINUES to shoot beyond there ability. Because I think if we were all honest with ourselves, we have all shot beyond our ability now and again, how else ya going to know what your ability is? But its the chronic, "I can hit anything" mentality that I believe lives up to the name "Sky busting"....
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:22 am

gunman wrote:I don't know, personally I would have to say a person who CONTINUES to shoot beyond there ability. Because I think if we were all honest with ourselves, we have all shot beyond our ability now and again, how else ya going to know what your ability is? But its the chronic, "I can hit anything" mentality that I believe lives up to the name "Sky busting"....

That was excellent. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby KAhunter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:51 am

there is a difference between taking high shots and skybusting.. skybusting in my book( especially bad whne you are hunting on public land or somewhere with other people hunting near you) is when you take shots that are out of your range on ducks or geese that may be working someone else and they happen to fly over you high and u take a crack at them and maybe sail one.. happened to me last year on private land... guy was sitting on the very edge of his land and shooting at birds that were coming ot our spread.. i had to control myself from going over there and saying a few things i probably would have regretted....
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:57 am

This one is easy. It all depends on who is shooting. If you are doing the shooting at tall birds, it is called “pass shooting.” When it is someone else, it is “skybusting.”

I agree with Hvacfowler. Anything outside of 35-40 yards should be left alone. I see too many people drop a duck at 60 yards with a mortar shell and think this justifies all the wasted rounds and injured birds. It doesn’t.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:28 pm

i still dont think taking a long shot is soo bad... i like those high over-ur - head shots... as long as its not past 55 to 60 yards u can bring a bird down... there are some situations that its not right but i mean... its not always bad
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:46 pm

gunman wrote:I don't know, personally I would have to say a person who CONTINUES to shoot beyond there ability.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

It's all relative to the person. Personally, I can't hit a darn thing over 45 yards, so I stay within my bounds. I have, however, hunted with guys who will and do consistently kill birds 60 yards or further. To me they are not skybusting at all.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:20 pm

I agree with everything said here but I would just like to point out that even when ducks are working a spread they won't always look like it to other hunters sometimes when a bird is turning around it may look like its going into another spread so that guy may shoot it. ( I've seen it happen with birds I was working) of corse sometimes its real obvious (thats when you can get ticked off at a guy)
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:43 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:Gooseboy, I think we need to get you a duck hunting book or something before the season starts.

If you seriousy want to I'll take it! I thought thats what skybusting was, but one time I nailed this duck with a twenty guage at about 45 yards it was sweet.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to The Honey Hole