Boat question

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o

Boat question

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:18 am

Does bass tracker make a decent boat? I've been debating on buying a fishing boat for many years now, but have changed my mind everytime before committing. Both my sons love to fish and we have the perfect private lake for it, but it requires a small boat and is a pain to get to since I usually have to pull the boat in with my Polaris Ranger due to not having a ramp to get a truck down. Over the years I've almost quit fishing due to the hassle of the preparation it takes to go drop off the Polaris and then come back home and load the boat trailer just to take it to our parking lot and then hook it to the Polaris. Then we have to make the couple of mile ride in to our lake. By the time we get there, we are either muddy or dusty before we ever start fishing. I had convinced myself that I hate fishing, but the other day I realized that I really do like fishing, I just don't like the process we have to go through to do so. Ive decided to buy a real boat so I can take advantage of all the other waterways in my area. I live 200 yards from a major bayou and have a public landing less than a mile from the house, so I might as well take advantage of it.

Anyway, I don't want to spend a small fortune on a boat and have pretty much decided that I want this one: http://m.trackerboats.com/#boats_scr_detail?boat=3924 The only thing that worries me is that there are a lot of bad reviews out there on bass tracker, it I've never spoke with an actual owner that had anything bad to say. I'd like some input before I drop $18,000 on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
La. Hunter
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Boat question

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am

Sorry no thoughts on Bass Trackers.

La I did not realize until I used one for a week how much I dislike the "bass boat" style/lay-out. Maybe I'm spoiled by more open floor pans and all the crap I carry but I would never buy one unless it was maybe a 20 footer and that's not a big water comment.

Looks perty though! :thumbsup:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:49 am

La, Ive never owned one but my Uncle did before he got to old to load and unload it, He loved his. Also a neighbor that used to fish a lot of Bass tournaments had one and seemed to like it. He did make the comment that for the average fisherman that it was a fine boat but for someone that traveled a lot and fished a lot of tournaments it wasn't the best by far. He traded his in on a Ranger. Ive looked at them several times in the Kansas City store and they seemed to be put together well and the welds looked fine. To me the quality of the weld makes the boat. After all Aluminum is Aluminum, everyone use the same stuff but the quality of the welds is the big difference in manufacturers
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Sorry no thoughts on Bass Trackers.

La I did not realize until I used one for a week how much I dislike the "bass boat" style/lay-out. Maybe I'm spoiled by more open floor pans and all the crap I carry but I would never buy one unless it was maybe a 20 footer and that's not a big water comment.

Luckily, I'm going to get the opportunity to fish out of this exact boat before I buy one. We were at a crawfish boil a couple of weeks back and my uncle was telling me he bought a new boat and was waiting on it to be delivered. I had it in my mind he was talking about a small jon boat and didn't really think much about it. I stopped by his house Wednesday and his boat had arrived that day and it is the exact boat I am planning to buy. He's changing out the trolling motor to one of the gps trolling motors and installing the side reading sonar fishfinder and also installing the power pole anchor, but that shouldn't affect the floor space.

La. Hunter
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:13 pm

By the way, I'll do most of my fishing on the local bayou (Darbonne) and the Ouachita river. I can make about a 30 minute drive and fish Lake Darbonne, which is a decent sized lake, or I can drive about an hour and fish Caney Lake. I don't know if either of these lakes are what you'd consider big water though.

La. Hunter
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:Sorry no thoughts on Bass Trackers.

Luckily, I'm going to get the opportunity to fish out of this exact boat before I buy one. We were at a crawfish boil a couple of weeks back and my uncle was telling me he bought a new boat and was waiting on it to be delivered. I had it in my mind he was talking about a small jon boat and didn't really think much about it. I stopped by his house Wednesday and his boat had arrived that day and it is the exact boat I am planning to buy. He's changing out the trolling motor to one of the gps trolling motors and installing the side reading sonar fishfinder and also installing the power pole anchor, but that shouldn't affect the floor space.

Excellent...on getting to try before you buy!

My experience was in a 15' but I was by myself. In the pics you don't see a 2nd rod, a cooler, a tackle box, a net, a cup of coffee, etc. The storage-away is nice but that's stuff stored away. Let us know what you think, that sonar read angle does matter too...I was breaking my neck checking depth because the sonar unit sat next to the drivers seat and couldn't be read from either deck (in the sun).
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby D Comeaux » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm not familiar with tracker, but I did get one of these, the XP200 with a 150, a year and half ago (see link), and I like it. My younger years was nothing but bass tournaments and I ran Skeeter, so this transition to a big flat is kind of a bummer. The lack of lift and speed is something i'm getting used to it, but I miss it. I like it for the room and ease of clean up, after those days in the marsh crabbing. Something that's not so nice with carpet. I'm currently discussing with them this same floor plan but sitting on their hyper-lift hull design........ I'll sell you this one, if I can get the lift hull design with this floor plan. It'll run 50 mph with two men, gear and two ice chest. Good cruise 45.

https://xpressboats.com/xplorer-series/

I had mine painted in their blue and white paint scheme.

Boat.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg
IMG_7715.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 508 times
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Fwiw I've never had one but my dad always told me to stay away from them. Said they were a cheaply built pos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Mike the Fox wrote:Fwiw I've never had one but my dad always told me to stay away from them. Said they were a cheaply built pos.

I have seen that they did have problems for awhile, but I've also read that they supposedly got their acts together 8 or 9 years ago and stepped up. That's why I'm asking here though. I've read a lot of negative but haven't heard it from an actual bass tracker owner that I personally know (I don't personally know a lot of the members here but I do deem y'all credible). The guys I know that own them don't have any complaints.

La. Hunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
Mike the Fox wrote:Fwiw I've never had one but my dad always told me to stay away from them. Said they were a cheaply built pos.

I have seen that they did have problems for awhile, but I've also read that they supposedly got their acts together 8 or 9 years ago and stepped up. That's why I'm asking here though. I've read a lot of negative but haven't heard it from an actual bass tracker owner that I personally know (I don't personally know a lot of the members here but I do deem y'all credible). The guys I know that own them don't have any complaints.

It's not top of the line like SeaArk or War Eagle but Idk about POS. Kind of like FRAM oil filters. There's a lot of them out there, widely distributed brand, therefore it's inevitable there's going to be some negative reviews. Relative of mine had a 17ft bass tracker since the late 80s or 90s and never had an issue with the hull. I think their duck boat designs are retarded...probably a reliable/durable enough boat but like I said it's not SeaArk/War Eagle/Xpress.
But anyway for your situation I don't see why not. Although for 18k I'd definitely look at other brands.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:

It's not top of the line like SeaArk or War Eagle but Idk about POS. Kind of like FRAM oil filters. There's a lot of them out there, widely distributed brand, therefore it's inevitable there's going to be some negative reviews. Relative of mine had a 17ft bass tracker since the late 80s or 90s and never had an issue with the hull. I think their duck boat designs are retarded...probably a reliable/durable enough boat but like I said it's not SeaArk/War Eagle/Xpress.
But anyway for your situation I don't see why not. Although for 18k I'd definitely look at other brands.

I will probably end up looking at War Eagle or Xpress for sure. Problem is that I know absolutely nothing about boats. I own several plastic boats and several jon boats, but never anything with a real motor.

La. Hunter
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 pm

D Comeaux wrote:I'm not familiar with tracker, but I did get one of these, the XP200 with a 150, a year and half ago (see link), and I like it. My younger years was nothing but bass tournaments and I ran Skeeter, so this transition to a big flat is kind of a bummer. The lack of lift and speed is something i'm getting used to it, but I miss it. I like it for the room and ease of clean up, after those days in the marsh crabbing. Something that's not so nice with carpet. I'm currently discussing with them this same floor plan but sitting on their hyper-lift hull design........ I'll sell you this one, if I can get the lift hull design with this floor plan. It'll run 50 mph with two men, gear and two ice chest. Good cruise 45.

https://xpressboats.com/xplorer-series/

I had mine painted in their blue and white paint scheme.

Boat.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

I've made up my mind I'm buying a new one or we'd talk.

By the way, I may go with the vinyl floor as opposed to the carpet for easy cleanout.

La. Hunter
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:46 am

I had a Pro17 and it was a very solid boat. Had the 25, would have preferred the 60

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby sask-hunter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:31 pm

i bought a new tracker 16' pro guide w/50 merc seven years ago and its been great to me.no issues..only thing is when you have 3 and lots of gear in boat, it slows it down alot.i prob should have got another 10hp higher.
sask-hunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 pm

sask-hunter wrote:i bought a new tracker 16' pro guide w/50 merc seven years ago and its been great to me.no issues..only thing is when you have 3 and lots of gear in boat, it slows it down alot.i prob should have got another 10hp higher.

I saw a 16ft duck boat with a Yamaha F70 on it yesterday...bet that thing will move. Probably weighs about the same as your 50 merc. I was originally planning on a F70 for my 1860 but now I've decided on a Suzuki 90. It has huge pods so I'm not worried about the weight.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sask-hunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:28 am

ya i bet that 70 would make it move good..my merc is the 2stroke so its not too heavy.my boat is a deep v..very stable but takes a bit to plane out when there is more than 2 in it.
sask-hunter
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:47 am

Look hard at the 4 stroke motors, I would go with at least a 70 horse motor, if the 3 of you gonna fish together some.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Dep6 wrote:Look hard at the 4 stroke motors, I would go with at least a 70 horse motor, if the 3 of you gonna fish together some.

It is a 4 stroke 60 horse motor. I doubt the 3 of us would fish together much and then we wouldn't be going very far. I figure it'll be me and one of them or both of them fishing together, if they don't kill each other first.

La. Hunter
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:46 pm

60 should be fine, but I know being underpowered sucks in every situation.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
Dep6 wrote:Look hard at the 4 stroke motors, I would go with at least a 70 horse motor, if the 3 of you gonna fish together some.

It is a 4 stroke 60 horse motor. I doubt the 3 of us would fish together much and then we wouldn't be going very far. I figure it'll be me and one of them or both of them fishing together, if they don't kill each other first.

This may trigger some debate, but I personally would not get a new mercury. If you read reviews and do some research online people are not very happy with them. Especially the larger ones. I only trust Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Honda for a brand new one. From when I researched it online it seems that you're a lot more likely to get a lemon with mercury than the other brands. Maybe this is inaccurate but from talking to my boating friends and looking online I decided there's no way I'm getting a mercury in 5 months when I upgrade motors on my boat. Right now I'm set on Suzuki due to price, power, quiet, reputation.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole