Duck and Goose Innards

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Duck and Goose Innards

Postby Penguine » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:39 pm

I need some help. Can anyone tell me what a duck or goose gizzard and liver look like? I got the heart down, that is easy, but I want to start keeping the liver and the gizzards but I can not seem to find them. So, let me ask this...

As I carved up my duck last night I got the breast. No problem. I then sliced her open and there was the hard lumpy thing that I thought was the gizzard but wasn't sure. I sliced into it and it appeared to be something edible but again I was not sure so I just tossed it out. Then I thought I would find the liver. Yeah, wasn't sure what it looked like either. I did manage to get the heart out though. So... Can anyone post a pic of what a duck or goose gizzard and livers look like?

Thanks!
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:44 pm

The gizzard is a sac between the duck's stomach and intestines. The walls of the gizzard have strong muscles with lots of ridges.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:19 pm

wow, thanks 98....

that is a helpful diagram :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gunman » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:09 am

Careful cutting open the gizzard, you really don't want to get all of those contents on stuff, it will taint the taste of the meat. Just ever so carefully split it down the seam and dig out the contents with your finger and quickly rinse with copious amounts of COLD water.......good luck with the liver, defiantly not my style.......
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:30 am

The gizard is a large round floating muscle in the stomach area. Real kind of hard not to notice it. It will have grit and food meal in it when you cut it open. The liver looks just like liver in the store but much smaller. The liver is like a meat sponge and tears easily. Gizards and livers are for the pup on the left. He likes them parboiled slowly. :smile:
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby openwaterhunter » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:32 am

Something that hasn't been brought up is when you cut into the gizzaed and get to the center where the ground up stuff is at that part is actually a liner of sorts. You need to peel that out. Just stick your blade between the liner and the muscle enough to get ahold of it and pull it out. I always say dove gizzards.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:33 am

98ramtough wrote:Image

The gizzard is a sac between the duck's stomach and intestines. The walls of the gizzard have strong muscles with lots of ridges.

98, for some reason, when I scrolled down and saw that picture I started hysterically laughing. Did you color that? Nice job. :thumbsup: :getdown:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:38 am

Hey Cupped - good idea for the gizzards & livers. Those innards should be great for a dog. Just enough fat (they need more than we do), plenty of protein. & innards are really what they're geared to eat, in addition to the meat.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:40 am

I can't take credit for that beautiful picture, I googled it and found it. I was laughing when I posted it...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:10 pm

My quest to save the innards is no longer. I fried up some teal breast the other night with garlic and onion, sliced thin, it was great, until...

I bit in to the heart and about puked. Man that was nasty. Chicken hearts are good, but that damn teal heart... Guess that bird got its revenge.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:34 pm

Stick with non migratory guts :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole