Should we duck hunters be worried?????

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Should we duck hunters be worried?????

Postby claycrusher » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:36 pm

didnt know which forum to put this in but thought maybe it should be on our minds.
Do we duck hunters who harvest and eat our birds have anything to worry about with this H5N1 avian bird flu going around over seas.Maybe if someone with knowledge of this stuff can give us a reply
claycrusher
Newb

Postby firebird » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:48 pm

Not sure about that one but we are being told not to eat local shovelers and goldeneyes because of exaggerated levels of Mercury. Hope you boys downstream don't choke on that one!
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:42 pm

Unless your birds are migrating from China, I would not sweat it. Yet.
I would be more worried about it being transferred from a human from over seas than a wood duck from your local swamp.
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:01 pm

Snaph wrote:Unless your birds are migrating from China, I would not sweat it. Yet.
I would be more worried about it being transferred from a human from over seas than a wood duck from your local swamp.

:withstupid:
I would concentrate on staying away from for-ane countrys more than I would worry bout that...

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:31 pm

At the moment catching the diesese from birds in the US is darn near imposible. Only 16 or somthing have caught the diesese in Asia and these are people who have chicken pens in there cramped, damp living rooms.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:35 pm

i heard a rumor that it has shown up in Europe and that there is some convern that it may make it's way here via the Canada Goose population. probably just scare tactics and sensationalism by the media, but that's what i heard.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:38 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote: probably just scare tactics and sensationalism by the media.

:withstupid: Dangerous diesese epidemics sell well for the media.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:03 am

If I understand it most of the bird flu is found in pen raised birds. Guys like me who are members at an upland club would have more to worry about than hunting wild birds.
jaysweet3
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole