What is the worst thing that ever happened during huntiing

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

What is the worst thing that ever happened during huntiing

Postby bubba1 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:39 pm

In honor of Brian, what is the worst thing that ever happened to you during a duck hunt? Share some stories and I will tell you about my day.
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby paramedic6801 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:40 pm

Well.... one time i was sort of sick tried to fart and crapped in my waders. What a long day...........
paramedic6801
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:45 pm

HAHAHA :toofunny: :toofunny:
texan68
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:55 pm

I have almost been there myself. Luckly I got out of the marsh soon enough
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:24 am

Goose hunting a new farm and did not look closely are the fence crossing. The farmer has the electric wire running over the fence and not on a disconnect across it. I did not see it and got tangled it in. :oops: 3 to 4 seconds in that wire seemed like a lifetime. Man he really had that juice turned up high!
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bubba1 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:54 am

Please, I have all of you beat.

Went out yesterday morning early, out on the Bay. Made it out to where we wanted to hunt, setup, saw a few birds, shot one. Decided to go for a walk and scout. Got back and packed up to leave. Tried starting the motor and the battery was dead. Three miles down the coast in rough water. Battery started the boat fine as we left the dock, I did leave the depth finder on, but that couldn't pull that much juice. So we pulled the boat to the dock, again three miles walking in knee to waist deep water, with larger rollers coming in. On a positive note, I learned the coast line really well and found a couple of new places to try. But man are my knees killing me today. So much for yard work today.

Bubba1
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby Spoony » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:16 am

I don't know... I think crapping your pants and stewing in it all day long while duck hunting can lead to a pretty bad rash! Ouch! : :eek:
Spoony
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:24 am

It's been many years now, . . . while we were hunting, a "new guy" pointed his shotgun point blank at my buddy Pete and the gun "accidentally" went off killing Pete instantly. . . ironically, a year to the exact day, that guy was killed in a hunting accident, . . . . by Pete's brother.

. . . true story . . .
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:30 am

Hmmm. What did everyone say about petes brother and he "accidentally" killed the guy that killed his brother?
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:33 am

It was ruled an "accident" . . . no charges were ever filed.
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:34 am

HatterWayne wrote:It's been many years now, . . . while we were hunting, a "new guy" pointed his shotgun point blank at my buddy Pete and the gun "accidentally" went off killing Pete instantly. . . ironically, a year to the exact day, that guy was killed in a hunting accident, . . . . by Pete's brother.

. . . true story . . .

ouch...i think that tops just about anything that could go wrong during a hunt.

it didn't happen to me but...

on a trip to arkansas one of the guys we met up with out there was recovering from a recent gun shot wound. it appeared that he laid his loaded shotgun in the boat at the ramp and his dog somehow steped on it and one of his toes slipped into the trigger guard and the gun discharged. he took a point blank 3" BB shot directly to the pelvis. the dr. said there were way too many pellets to surgically remove them so he had to leave them in. he was pretty fortuntate though, it could have been lead and it almost certainly would have killed him.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:13 am

People just need to be more carefull. Not to offend anyone but how hard is it to use your safety. Then when you put it down check it again, when you are walking with you gun check it again. Your trying to kill animals not your huntin buddies. Although, that might leave me more ducks if everyone shots their hunting buddies. Hmmm. Just be safe people.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:42 pm

I got a funny one...its kind of a long story but here it goes anyway. Last year me and a buddy went hunting at a local swamp. we were both in the blind for awhile and werent seeing to much action but i saw alot of woodies flying the tree line. well i decided that he could take me out to the tree line and drop me off and i would try and grab some of those woodies. well the plan was he would go hunt the blind and then pick me up at dark. well i managed to grab 2 and was real happy and dark came and he wasnt there yet. well i figured he was taking his precious time so i waited a little longer, then a little longer and a little longer until finally i was getting pissed and waded out as far as i could into this pond and started hollering for him. finally after about the 3rd time i hollered i hear him scream back but its too far away to make out what hes saying so i decide to wait a little more. After awhile my mind gets to stirring and i begin to come up with all these possible senarios and i think "what if he had some sort of accident in the blind like shot himself and im over here ******". well of course im like **** and start wading out there. To give you a mental picture its pitch dark, freezing *** cold, im in 5-6 foot of water that is COVERED in duck weed, i have my shotgun over my head in 1 hand and 2 woodies in the other (u know im not leaving the ducks!) and the name of this place is "alligator bayou". well im freezing my *** off getting freaked out every 2-3 seconds from gar rolling next to me. steadily thinking in my head how im an idiot wading through alligator infested water with 2 plump woodies that any alligator would consider a nice desert after it chumped on me. finally after what seemed like forever i get close enough to here what hes saying..."man i flipped the boat" i scream how the **** did you manage to flip that little boat!?!?! he starts laughing "man i cant beleive you waded out here". well i climb up into the blind and see that this dumb *** has come up with this make shift comtraption to hoist the engine out the water and put it back on the boat which is all for nothing since the engines locked up. so we begin to think about our options. cell phones were in the boat. all but a snickers bar was in the boat. so were about a 30 minute boat ride to shore and about another 5-10min drive after that to any people. we have no food, no phone, no water, and im freezing to death. finally about 4 hours later i here a boat rumbilng down the canal. we both jump up at the same time "IS THAT A BOAT!!!" yes wildlife and fisheries here to save the day thay had blankets food and water it was heaven. on the boat ride in we explained to the guys what happened and they laughed and one of the guys told me i was crazy as they know of a 14 foot gator in that pond. i thanked God they all were full or just didnt happen to see me. well when we got home we shared a laugh with the fellows and talked how we wouldnt forget this experience. Drank a few beers set our alarms for 4am and went and hunted out there again the next day....i drove.

edited by shrpshtr
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:16 pm

I don't have to many stories yet. Heres one. I was picking up my decoys and I got stuck in the mud up to my knee. No big deal I was starting to get unstuck until my dog comes over and knocks my over in two the water in the middle of january in freezing cold water. I was pretty mad. until I got to shore and saw him. I just petted him and told him if he does that again hes walking home.

Another one three of us were standing on a froozen marsh and found a week spot. Yep we all fell thru. That was a could day!!!
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:45 pm

:toofunny: jasonphoto01
hunter

I don't understand gators/ Louisiana and freezing cold all in the same place at the same time :oops:

Now if it was white bears/ ice and snow and dang that water was warm till I hit the air then I froze I could see it. :laughing: But then you'd be ARN and yer not so sorry for the HI JAQ
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:54 pm

hey greg, just remember...freezing cold is relative! you'd be surprised at how cold you'll see gators out to. i know in our swamps here i have been surprised more than once.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby mmalino » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:15 pm

BAsically worst day of my life.....Was in the middle of a lake with 2 inches of ice, the path that we took out there froze back over, we had the only pocket of water and we shot some ducks. Getting ready to leave prop hits something under the water and takes it clear off. So we didnt decided to go straight toward a levee which was only hlf the distance that it woulda been to the ramp. Thank good we brought 2 axes......4 hours later we make it back to the levee pulling the boat over the ice.....

I carry 2 props now... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Team Rainmakers
"We supply eBay with the bands you buy"

Go White Sox!!...hell with baseball its football season
mmalino
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:41 pm

hey u aint got to beleive it but its true. im sure its not as cold as where your at but you get a little wet then sit there outside and its COLD. Alligators do hibernate but its not uncommon to see them laying in the sun during the hibernating months (there cold-blooded reptiles). Also they dont hibernate in trees they make gatorholes and i dont imagine they would take to kindly to me steppin in one. Ask any of these guys from louisiana here and they will tell you.
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:46 pm

ok so there i was in the middle of the river in a canoe first time duck hunting. I shot a duck went to get out of the boat and fell in the water not to mention it was the middle of january in montana. that is what hooked me to duck hunting
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:51 pm

I'm just kiddin around. I know that you can get hypothermia even if the temperatures are not that low as when you get wet it takes body heat to dry your clothes and thus lowers your bodys temp. If this chilling effect continues to the point where your core temperature is lowered you can perish. :thumbsdown: So on this note all you fellow hunters and huntresses stay dry and warm and stay safe.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby DuffMaN » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:59 pm

A week or so ago me and ARN and a buddy were hunting this new place. We get out there only to find that the water is too deep to wade out and place the deeks out in the open area of this swamp. So we are standing in knee deep water and and we happen to shoot a couple of ducks that happen to land in the grass on the other side of the open swamp area. ARN's mighty 'retreiver' didnt see them so we try tossing rocks out to get her to see them but she can't find them. Me and the buddy have to go walking a half mile in tit-deep water around this pond to find them and bring them back. After all that effort it was just a small spoony and an even smaller wood duck. Ironically the best duck all way was shot while landing in our spread and was retreived no more than a yard from shore. We had to dry out our socks back at camp and me and the buddy ended up singing/burning a hole in our socks making it an interesting hike home.
"I hope I don't have any drugs in the ashtray..."
-Drummond Taylor
DuffMaN
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:02 pm

Rabbit hunt. I was walking down a creek bank after a recent flood, I knew it'd push the rabbits out of the creek bed, so I was walking alone, and decided to stop for a little bit. Keep in mind this is in january, and the only reason the water isn't frozen is because it's running real fast. Well, I stop along the bank, and am looking down into the water when the ground washes out from under me. My knee boots were both filled up with ice cold water and so were my pants. My story has nothing on any of y'alls.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:03 pm

:eek: I shouldn't even tell this story but its the dumbest, most embarrasing thing that has happend to me while waterfowl hunting. Four seasons ago me and my hunting partner were hunting a lage swampy lake area that holds a lot of geese at times and just before shooting time closed in came three flocks one right on the tailfeathers of the one ahead of it. We let them have it just as they were touching down, him from the shore and my self from the island blind. there were birds dead on the land and in the water, we had shot our limit but one goose was crippled and swimming for the other shore and us with no dogs. My partner had to leave to pick up his daughter from Guides so as he was getting ready to leave I jumped in my canoe and paddled after the goose. I got right up to it, with all my gear in the canoe I might add, and reached out and grabed the goose by a wing. Wrong thing to do. There was alot of honking and splashing and then the canoe tipped and I was in the lake rubber boots and full hunting gear for the middle of November here in NS. Well I let go of the goose and that was the last I saw of it but I still had to get out of the water and I thought that I would just get back in the canoe as I have done several times before in practicing for just such an event. It was going good except for the fact that I still had my shell belt on and it caught on the gunnel and the canoe flipped dumping all my gear including my Ithaca in the lake. I was in 8 + ft of cold water but was not leaving with out my gun so I stripped off my boots , coat, and shell belt and dove down feeling around the bottom with my feet for the gun, just as I felt it I had to go up for air Thats when my buddy yelled out " Are You OK?" I answer him "Yeh just got my feet wet" he left and I dove down and retrieved my gun and some of my gear the rest is still on the lake bottom and can stay there. Thats when I knew I needed a dog for the next season. Oh yeah I made the fatal mistake of actually telling a buddy at work about it the very next day hence the nick name "gooseman" Thank the lord that it didn't stick and I don't get ribbed too much any more untill just before season opener.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:25 pm

The worst thing which happend on a hunt this year, in fact on last Friday was my black lab got a stick in the eye and her eye swelled up to the point that the eye ball looked sunk in and I was afraid she had lost the eye. Called the vet and he said to flush the eye with a mild warm saline solution and watch her close for a day or two. Her eye is all cleared up with no damage, so all is well.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:36 pm

My buddy and I had scouted this huge flock of geese everynight for a week before the first day of early goose season in PA. We couldn't get permission to hunt the field they were landing in but we did get permission about 200 yards away....So anyways we sat there til 9:30am and we only saw a small flock of about 6 or 7 go over the ridge into this field they were landing in every morning and night.... My mind was playing tricks on me and I was sure they all got past us somehow...I give him my gun and begin to walk up to this ridge to look down into the field....Sure enough as soon as I got up there I hear them coming....So I'm about 200 yards away and I know I have no chance of getting back....So they all start landing and he opens up on them ( with my gun as well. )....So he ended up downing 3 in the first bunch, 2 in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd.....So after running as fast as I could to get back there we have about another 15-20 lock up and come in....I pull up and I get that terrible sound " click ".....After he emptied my gun as well as his on the first flock he forgot to reload mine...So once again I'm sitting there with no shells watching him down more birds........So I guess the moral of the story is.....BE PATIENT!
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole