sidearms and waterfowling?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

sidearms and waterfowling?

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:12 pm

Can anyone tell me if it is illegal to carry a concealed sidearm (I have a CCW) while waterfowling? Looking at the regulations, it says it is illegal to have "two guns", but further goes on to state that the only guns that can be used are "shotguns, of 10 gauge or smaller, using nontoxic shot approved by the USFWS". If the gun is concealed, then I would think that would be indicative that I wasn't using it to take game. I need a definite answer, preferably with a link to a site that says specifically "yes, you may carry...." or "no, you may not carry....." Thanks in advance.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:25 pm

If there are alot of people at the same place I am hunting I stick my glock .40 cal in my waders or in my bag. We cant cc here. I don't really care thou. My saftey comes first then everyone else. But then again my gun never leaves my truck either.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:32 pm

if you want a definite answer you'll probably need to contact your DNR or a CO. this might be one of those interpretation things so it's best to hear it from the horse's mouth. also, make note of the actual officer's name/crendentials (badge#, etc.) to be able to reference in the event you need to. in SC we are pretty liberal with right to carry so our laws probably won't be the same as yours. hth!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:20 pm

I personally carry mine all the time, but dont know what to tell you in michigan.

But then I have asked someone before about this espically on one of our secret holes why cant I have my deer rifle if i see big mossy head come out while im waiting for ducks on this particular pond.

Have never read anywhere about having certain guns just taking the birds in general with them.

Contact your local DNR office and ask if i were you. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:31 pm

A buddy of mine has an over under with a 12ga on top and a .22 on the bottom. He doesn't use it for waterfowl, but he has used it for upland. take that into the blind, and get your buck with the .22, but then you only get one shot at a flock of ducks.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:47 pm

Leave your pistols at home. My .02
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:53 pm

bagpiper88 wrote:A buddy of mine has an over under with a 12ga on top and a .22 on the bottom. He doesn't use it for waterfowl, but he has used it for upland. take that into the blind, and get your buck with the .22, but then you only get one shot at a flock of ducks.

Its just a tad illegal to take a deer with a .22...
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:55 pm

ok, dont know a thing about deer. I have only shot at waterfowl.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:07 pm

I have tried to get a response from the MI DNR; I submitted my question in writing (via Email) and was told that I would get response in 10 working days; two days later I got an email saying that they 'assumed' that I had found the answer to my question and unless I resubmitted the question in 48 hours, they would assume it was answered (typical MI DNR....don't do anything but bitch about how much money they don't have for this or that.....the deer hunters get the lions share of all the funds :pissed: )
The laws I have found have been somewhat ambigous, which is why I would like some clarification.....it is against federal law to use a single projectile firearm to harvest waterfowl; if you were sitting in a blind with decoys out, duck call around your neck, and a scoped centerfire rifle with you, loaded and uncased, the case could be made for you using that weapon to take waterfowl. The law states that only bows and shotguns of 10 gauge or smaller using nontoxic shot may be used to harvest waterfowl. It is also illegal to have more than one "gun" (there refernce, not mine). It is my understanding that a lot of drillings are confiscated during duck season because of this law.
On the other hand, MI law allows a CPL holder to carry while hunting, even though he may not use that gun for a particular hunting purpose (i.e. bowhunters with CPLs may carry concealed; they can't use anything but a bow to harvest game).
I guess where I'm having some trouble is whether or not this handgun falls under the "2nd gun" rule.
As far as leaving the gun at home....would like to, but there are several reasons as to why I am concerned enough to carry a sidearm so I have something at the boat launch and in the boat to and from the hunting area.(and no, I really rather not go into it right now).
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:09 pm

bagpiper88 wrote:A buddy of mine has an over under with a 12ga on top and a .22 on the bottom. He doesn't use it for waterfowl, but he has used it for upland. take that into the blind, and get your buck with the .22, but then you only get one shot at a flock of ducks.

I hope yer joking.
texan68
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:11 pm

texan68 wrote:

I hope yer joking.

serious about the gun, he really does have one. Not serious about taking it into the blind.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:41 pm

I would definitely get something from the Department in writing, even email, and I would probably print it and carry it with me. I ran into a different situation in the past where I knew I was in the right, but the conservation officer wrote me a ticket and told me I could pay the fine or go to court. I went to court and the judge threw it out and scolded the agent. The agent was livid. I hope I never run into him in the field again because the headline will probably read- “Duck hunter shot in the back by deer hunter. Deer hunter is still on the loose.”

This is an area where an agent with discretion would have no issues at all, but many agents don’t use discretion.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:33 pm

Mr. 16 have you called your local office and asked someone? If so an did not get anywhere let me know.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Snaph » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm

I carry mine, but it against the law to carry in a state park here in PA. So I don't carry there. This site may help you out. And for that matter this site can answer a lot of your CC questions.

www.packing.org
Snaph
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:53 pm

SCoutdoorsman wrote:I personally carry mine all the time, but dont know what to tell you in michigan.

But then I have asked someone before about this espically on one of our secret holes why cant I have my deer rifle if i see big mossy head come out while im waiting for ducks on this particular pond.

Have never read anywhere about having certain guns just taking the birds in general with them.

Contact your local DNR office and ask if i were you. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

SC, do our normal laws about carrying apply to the duck hunting?
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:47 pm

I don't know about duck hunting and CC but in my state if you CC and archery hunt it's a class B midemour. I found out the hard way. :thumbsdown:
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:58 pm

Here you can not carry anything bowhunting except .22 rimfire loaded with *12 rat shot. And from what i have understood from federal regulations you can not USE a pistol but does not go into detail about CARRYING with a cc. I will talk to the G dub in the morning and see what i can come up with.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:17 pm

Up here they really dont care where you carry it--- litterally ANYWHERE but federal buildings and skools :thumbsup:

Besides, like 13/13 hunters and hikers in AK carry them when in the "outdoors" for protection :salude:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:19 pm

Yall got all them bears and giant animals up there, I guess id carry one too stouff. :tounge:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:21 pm

smackaduck wrote:Yall got all them bears and giant animals up there, I guess id carry one too stouff. :tounge:

Actually, Im probably one of the VERY few folks I know (besides the hippy greeny folks :hammering: ) that dosnt carry one when hikin and stuff... I just dont worry bout it.

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Stouff you never know when a walrus might demand you give him your wallet. You might want to rethink that.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:41 pm

:laughing: :laughing: thats good.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:07 pm

Snaph wrote:Stouff you never know when a walrus might demand you give him your wallet. You might want to rethink that.

:toofunny: :toofunny:

Ok, ill admit that was good... but its not a laughing matter when it happens :hammering: :laughing:

J/K, I better stop w/ my hijaks :mrgreen:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:00 am

I learned in survival school the way to be safe in bear country is to always go out with someone who is slower than you. Bears stop at the first person they come to.
:toofunny:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby green head2 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 am

i would imagine every state is a little different But here in utah we can carry them anytime anywhere except for federal bldgs and natl parks I carry mine everywhere I go If you you have a permit it should not count as a second gun but like others have said check with your state government to find out for sure
green head2
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole