sidearms and waterfowling?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:43 am

I would think carrying and gun that may be using a lead, or a round not is not and approved non-toxic shot while waterfowling might draw a fine.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:52 am

Call the MI DNR. Their phone numbers are listed on the webpage. Don't wait around for an email. You want a definte answer you need to get it from the DNR.

I do not see where it would be an issue though. If you have a valid concealed weapons permit you are licensed by the state to carry. Regardless, let the CO, State Police, County Sherrif, etc, know that you are carrying if they come up to talk to you.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:26 am

shrpshtr wrote:SC, do our normal laws about carrying apply to the duck hunting?

We are good either way Ryan, if you have a CWP you are good to go no matter what. Just dont shoot at a bird with it and you will be ok :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:18 am

Mr 16. your state MI as well as mine is a "shall issue" state vs. a "may issue" state, therfore meaning once a permit has been issued, the permit holder is allowed to carry a loaded, concealed firearm in public places (parks, sports stadiums, bars, shopping centers, etc.).
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:15 pm

Click here: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153--21107--,00.html

Find the nearest Operations Service Center, and give them a call. Oh, and let us know.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:58 pm

I did hear from the CO; it is legal to carry while duck hunting provided that the gun is concealed...if out and about, the ticket can be issued for hunting ducks with a single projectile firearm.

SCoutdoorsman;
While MI is a "shall issue" state, there are several areas where we are NOT allowed to carry: schools, college dorms, bars, churches, sports stadiums, and day care centers, to name a few.

Thanks for all the input. :thumbsup:
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:49 pm

10-4, thanks SC.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby brdprey » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:37 am

green head2 wrote:i would imagine every state is a little different But here in utah we can carry them anytime anywhere except for federal bldgs and natl parks I carry mine everywhere I go If you you have a permit it should not count as a second gun but like others have said check with your state government to find out for sure

i live in utah as well, and i have a ccw and carry every were including the archery hunt.(only available to ccw holders) and i just checked the proc and dont see anywere saying you cant carry.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby littleone » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:07 am

not saying to get into trouble by taking your sidearm, but the old saying is .. i would rather be tried by 12 , than carried by 6.....
if the first shot doesnt work shoot again !
littleone
hunter

Postby Penguine » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:17 am

I just called the Gaylord Operations Service Center, 1732 West M 32 Gaylord, Michigan 49735, for you and spoke with Lt. Gazer (spelling?) and asked "Is it ok to carry a handgun with a concealed weapons permit while waterfowl hunting?" and his answer was YES.

If you would like to confirm this call the Gaylord Operations Service Center at 989-732-3541 and ask for Lt. Gazer.

Hope that helps you and puts your mind at ease.
Penguine
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:00 am

If you are carrying a shoygun to hunt with why would you need a pistol?
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby gunman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:25 am

What if your perpetrator strips you of your shotgun? He would never suspect you to come out with a pistol! Or if he waited till you had taken a couple steps out of your blind, where you left your gun, before turning hostile?

Nothing makes me feel safer than my Sig .40 strapped to my side......
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:13 am

You are not always "carrying" your shotgun.....at the boat launch, for instance. Your shotgun must be encased while traveling by boat to and from your hunting site.
In addition, there have been problems with people growing marijuana and starting meth labs in the woods on state owned property.....If I accidently bump into something like this, I would like a little more firepower than a 3 shot repeater and #3 steel.
Also, for those of you who have forgotten, several deer hunters were killed last year by Chai Vang in Wisconsin....He was tresspassing and poaching on private land, and claimed he was "threatened" by the landowner (so how does that explain the shooing of an unarmed woman in the back?). I have had run-ins with bow hunters on state land who think that by putting out a pile of carrots, that gives them exclusive claim to the entire section they are in. I have had people climb out of thier tree stands and run up to me and threaten to shoot me and my dog because we were too close to thier bait pile. We have also had dogs shot for "tresspassing".... :thumbsdown:
Finally, I hunt an area near the U.S./Canadian border. There has been quite a bit of 'unofficial' information being passed around by the locals concerning the finding of illegal(mostly asian) immigrants in the marsh, brought across the border by smugglers. Ordinarily I would pooh-pooh such info as drivel and flights of fantasy, but lately the U.S. Border patrol and immigration service has been settiing up roadside checkpoints and I am seeing more border patrol vehicles than I ever have in all my years of hunting there. Coincidence? Probably, but I'd just assume have the means at my disposal to deal with 2 or more desperate and determined individuals (i.e. potential terrorists) who I might stumble upon in a marsh or parking area....I do not intend to become a victim so the can gain access to this country, for ANY purpose!
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:37 pm

I know in Oregon, The ODFW was infringing on our right to bear arms. I think they were about to be taken to court. ODFW and I am sure other DNR's can not make law. and that is what they were doing. As an archer I wanted to carry a side arm for protection. We have been seeing an increase in cougar.

I believe someone was going to go take them to court on the issue and the leagle beagles said that the ODFW would probably loose. So low and behold the put in the regs that you can carry a side arm.

C Dubb
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Postby WORM » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:20 am

In MN under the new ccw law you can generally carry with you to and from the hunting spot. you just can't carry while bow hunting(unless hunting bear) Opener goose season I shot 2 geese and when I got to the truck a dnr officer pulled up and checked my license etc, I got a written warning for a unplugged gun because I grabbed my roomates benelli plug and it was to short for my beretta. He ask what I was shooting and said just 3 1/2 in but had 3'' with me. If he wanted to see my ammo I would have shown him my permit to carry since I had my pistol in my ammo box. I would say carry where you want as long as it's within the letter and essence of the law.
PRACTICE. If you can't get every shot through the same hole, there's room for improvment
WORM
hunter

Postby WORM » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:32 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I would think carrying and gun that may be using a lead, or a round not is not and approved non-toxic shot while waterfowling might draw a fine.

I thought about that when I was talking to the gamewarden, but then I realized, non-toxic SHOT(pellets)vs. steel jacketed hydrashoks
PRACTICE. If you can't get every shot through the same hole, there's room for improvment
WORM
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:08 am

H-2-O-FOWL wrote:If you are carrying a shoygun to hunt with why would you need a pistol?

well the same would go for those hard working people who want nothing more than a vacation in the woods, a nice weekend out camping no work and no worries. yea thats what its allabout. untill some piece of crap comes along and robs you. violent crime in the national forest areas has risen thru the roof. why! because those people wont fight back, they cant because the law says they cant.

there was an article that states someting similar in the october edition of the north american hunter. its just food for thought.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:28 pm

i carry when i need to, my vehicle carries when i dont.

but why in the heck would you have to carry while waterfowling and while in posession of a shotgun?

just sounds a bit silly to me, if you feel the need to carry a pistol while carrying a shotgun, buddy you shouldnt be there in the first place... just my $0.02
Rowdy
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:25 pm

Rowdy not trying to be mean or anything but come ride with me one day at work and you can see why. :thumbsup:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:16 am

I would assume if you run into the wrong CO he's gonna ticket you. I'd say you could probably fight it and win, but there's always the chance you won't win. I understand you may feel like you need to carry it, so I say carry if you feel ya need it but be ready for the worst if ya get stopped.
I live in a liberal crap hole known as Illinois so we can't carry anything. I can't say that I have ever been in a position where I thought I needed a gun to be cocked locked and ready to rock, but I should have the right to decide. If it weren't for chicago (and I leave it lower case for a reason) this would be a great state. So, to all you right to carry staters, I envy you! I need to get out of this liberal bunny huggin state.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:17 pm

Rowdy wrote:i carry when i need to, my vehicle carries when i dont.

but why in the heck would you have to carry while waterfowling and while in posession of a shotgun?

just sounds a bit silly to me, if you feel the need to carry a pistol while carrying a shotgun, buddy you shouldnt be there in the first place... just my $0.02

no flame intended, but you must not be very familiar with "close-quarters" battle at all. anything inside of 15-20' and you can't raise a long gun fast enough to defend yourself. anything outside of that and you're gonna have a very difficult time trying to convince judge and jury that the shooting was "self-defense" vs. rage. trust me when i tell you that they'll throw the book at you unless you can positively, absolutely without a doubt, unmistakbly, convince them you had no other option than to use lethal force. you just can't make that point outside of the 15' window because you could have easily fled.

lastly, how in the world do you know when you "need" to carry? this is a huge mistake in my opinion. you're fooling yourself to believe that you can possibly guess when a self-defense situation is going to arise. now, you certainly can play the odds (good neighborhood vs. bad neighborhood) and you might be right 99.9999% of the time. it's that 0.0001% of the time i am most concerned with. personally, i would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. you never, ever know...telling yourself otherwise is foolish and arrogant.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole