Tell me what happened here

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Tell me what happened here

Postby dukkilr6 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:36 pm

I first fired a shot at a flock of geese and my gun didnt fire so I ejected the shell and fired the next two with no problem. Later on I fired the first shot and the second didnt fire. I got my gun home, took it apart to clean it and there was a wad covered in powder in my barrel! What in the hell happened. i have never seen this before. Could it have been from shooting wet shells, maybe with wet powder somehow? It was the first time I have shot the Kent Fasteel's and think it could have something to do with that.
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:00 pm

Dont personally think it was from the Kents. But how old were they and had they been wet, If so and you have any left cut a few open and see how they look on the inside.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:12 pm

Well the wad in the barrell wouldnt keep the shells from going off....

They could mess up yer barrell...

w/ all that said I think yer shells got messed up, possibly the water in the powder.

Good Luck,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:53 am

a wad in the barrel means the primer went off and not the powder. Shot should have rolled out of the barrel. If you have more than one doing it you might have got the powder wet. Set the shells aside and examine them.

Start buying water tight shells or get some fingernail polish and seal the primers
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:11 am

sounds like a couple of things happened here to me. 1) the wad in the barrel would indicated wet powder certainly. 2)you probably had a couple of shells with bad primers too. if the shotgun didn't go off, that would be a firing pin issue or a bad primer. the wad is from one of the shells that acutally did go off but with limited force causing the wad to stay in the barrel. ultimately, it sounds like a shell issue either way. make sure the gun is good and clean and working and get you some different shells. that should solve your problem.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:43 am

Finger nail polish to seal the primers? Does that really work?
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:48 am

Maybe your shells got wet. Had that happen to me once or twice while hunting flooded timber.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:49 am

chrispbrown27 wrote:Finger nail polish to seal the primers? Does that really work?

absolutely!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:28 am

:withstupid: :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:40 pm

GUNSMITH............plugged barrel, bad. Exploding barrel, worse. Injury to side of face, priceless.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:58 pm

shrpshtr wrote:
chrispbrown27 wrote:Finger nail polish to seal the primers? Does that really work?

absolutely!

:withstupid:

Yup! :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby viper24k » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:05 pm

one time last year i was walkin through my slough jump shootin and i was gettin rid of my old shells....and big ol greenhead jumps 15 yards out....i pull up the trusty bill collector and it sounded like water coming through a garden hose......my steel 2's landed about 10 feet in front of my gun.....i couldve thrown it harder at the duck.......i was so confused at what happend that i never threw another round in..........i figured i was using really old moist shells.....so maybe thats what you had
Theres nothin better than a moonlit sunrise over a spread of dekes

She Thinks My Dog is Sexy

Quackin, Whackin and Stackin....
viper24k
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole