Neighbors threaten to take me to court!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Neighbors threaten to take me to court!

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:43 am

I keep getting nasty notes in my mailbox from someone that lives by me about my dogs barking. They claim it is ruining the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. Last night I got a note threatening that it must be taken care of within 72 hours or they will take me to court for a $500 fine.

Here is my problem. I have a nice kennel I built for my dogs on the side of my house, I have a neighbor with a german shephard that never kennels her dog, the dog stands at the fence all day and night and barks at my dogs whenever they are in the kennel. I have watched my dogs lay asleep and the neighbor dog keeps barking at my dogs. No kidding, I have a picture somewhere of my chessie covering his ears because the neighbor dog is barking right in his ear through the fense. I put up tarps on the side facing the neighbor so the dog couldn't see my dog, but it didn't help.

I think the neighbor that is making the complaints is actually hearing my neighbors dog, not mine. I have bark colars for both my dogs, but I quit using them after they quit barking. Sure they bark sometimes if a car stops in front of the house, someone walks by etc, but nothing abnormal.

What would you guys do? I wish the person would just leave his name or number on the letters so I could ask them to simply make sure its my dog. If it is my dog I would put the bark collars back on them. My dogs sleep inside and they are inside whenever we are home, so they are outside in the kennel around 6am-5pm monday through friday....

Any suggestions? I am really tired of getting nasty notes, it is upsetting my wife. I talked to a few neighbors and they said they never hear my dogs, just the neighbors shephard.. I talked to the lady that owns the shephard and she just isn't all there. She is no help at all...

Thanks,

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Quackerstacker » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:54 am

I'd be willing to bet it's the neighbor with the German Shepard that is leaving the nasty notes.
Jerry Honts

Hunt hard! Hunt safe!
Quackerstacker
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:03 pm

Mike, if I was faced with this scenario I would simply go and talk to each one of my neighbors individually. I don't know how your street is set up, but mine is a court with approx. a dozen or so houses. Upon recieving such a note I would go knock on each door and in a NON-CONFRONTATIONAL manner address the issue. "Hey I just wanted to stop by and let you know that the barking you sometimes hear is likely to be lady so-and-so's dog, not mine." And then take it from there based on their reaction. From the size of a man that you are I would bet heavy that you'll find little provocation. If you do, like with any other matter in life, handle yourself with diplomacy and grace. My wife says to kill em' with kindness. As far as taking you to court over such matters, I think that is a bunch of marlarky and wouldn't give it any credence. I would worry more about some jerk somehow poisioning or killing your dog versus a costly court case.(Do not mention this possibility to your wife)On a further note if you should happen to be dragged into court, which you won't, then you at least have plenty of willing neighbors to vouch on your behalf. There isn't a judge in this country that will entertain hearsay.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:06 pm

I have talked to all the neighbors that I know and a few that I don't. I often have problems walking up to the door and talking to people, they think cause I am a big guy I am mean or something lol... I am thinking about putting a motion camera on that side of the house just in case someone does try anything with my dogs, they are very important to me.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:22 pm

You dang big guys think you can just push your weight around and the preverbial waters will just part. Why don't you try not being such a dang bully? :toofunny: Yeah, that must be tough.........everybody stayin outta your way. I run about 185lbs and 5'9" and nobody listens to me. :laughing: :laughing: One of my dearest friends is 6'6" and 355lbs and he is the one of the most gentle men I have every met. :eek:

I'd skip the camera and opt for a motion light if anything at all. As you know, your dogs will let you know when someone is nearby anyways. Check on them when they tune up. Because its your mailbox and your dogs you may be more sensitive to the matter than is called for, I don't know. Do your part and tell your wife to chill out.....your handlin' it, keep your dogs as quiet as possible and should you see anyone on or near your property, then friend, let me know..........will advise from there. It involves a little of this :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:25 pm

Im not THAT big, 6'4'' 290lbs. I am very nice and actually concerned to make sure it isn't my dogs. I will probably put the bark collars back on my dogs just to make sure, take a video of the neighbors dog barking at my dogs and just leave it at that. I have both my dogs in the same kennel, when they play sometimes the bark collars go off and they get shocked, its not fair to them to get shocked when not barking. Like I said, they really aren't barkers, but they are dogs, they will bark when a car pulls in the driveway, and that damn UPS guy.... Man what is it about the brown truck and dogs? I have never seen a dog that likes that guy!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:42 pm

Put an indelible ink cannister in your mail box set to go off when it opens.Tell the post office to stop delivering your mail for a week or so then when you find the cannister has gone off look for a bright blue neighbor. :toofunny:

OK,now to be serious,make contact with the local animal control officer and give them the straight info on whats going on.Show them how your dogs are not the problem.
Next,contact the post office and local police,putting threatening or offensive material in a mail box is illegal,the person doing it is in trouble with the post office(a branch of the FEDERAL goverment)and that alone is enough to get them involved.Keep the nasty notes and turn them over to the cops.
Its your mail box and its off limits by federal law from such activity.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:21 pm

Leave a not on the front of yours telling them to just knock on the door (idiots).

Anyway if they are putting it in there its a NO NO to begin with, tape it on the outside is one thing opening it up and placing something in there I think they would take the 500 dollar fine vs the fine they will get when caught.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Snaph » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:48 pm

How about putting the motion camera by the mailbox? Leave a note inside that says "Smile, I know who you are now." I would think from everything you said, it would not be hard to prove it is the neighbors dog causing the trouble. The thing that would bug me is that the person just will not come to your door and state what problem they have. I'm sure it would not take you long to show them what is going on. Keep us posted.
Snaph
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:26 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:31 pm

we had the same type thing here at our house...yea the dogs bark at people walking by, cars pullin up and etc., but no one has ever complained about the dogs in the last 12 years, but this new guy moved in across the street (some yankee) anyways he started leaving all these nasty notes to my mom saying the dogs were keeping his kid up all night (then again what do you expect when you keep your windows open all night) and of course she wanted to handle it, but anyways whenever he saw her he would make a comment or just be an ***. but if me my brother or my dad were outside he wouldnt say a damn thing...anyways he ended up calling the cops after a week and they talked to my mom and said basically to bring the dogs in after 10 oclock (which we did anyways) and to let them know if he keeps leaving the notes.
its kinda a hard situation to solve, but ours just kinda went away.

good luck, let us know how it turns out
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:55 pm

i like SC's idea about putting a note on the mailbox for them to come to the door. i wouldn't worry too much about the court thing. next time you hear the neighbor's shepard got video tape it for evidence and you'll be covered.

i had a neighbor who is a fighter pilot come over one night and complain about my dog in the pooring rain. he said he was out there barking and howling and keeping him up. this was a problem because i whistled and my dog got off the couch dry as a bone and came to the front door. the guy immediately turned around and walked off without another sound. on more than one occasion his dog has been a noise problem though.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:14 pm

shrpshtr wrote:i had a neighbor who is a fighter pilot come over one night and complain about my dog in the pooring rain. he said he was out there barking and howling and keeping him up. this was a problem because i whistled and my dog got off the couch dry as a bone and came to the front door.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: HA HA, Dummy! :getdown:
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:35 pm

shrpshtr wrote:
i had a neighbor who is a fighter pilot come over one night and complain about my dog in the pooring rain. he said he was out there barking and howling and keeping him up. this was a problem because i whistled and my dog got off the couch dry as a bone and came to the front door. the guy immediately turned around and walked off without another sound. on more than one occasion his dog has been a noise problem though.

haha thats great! :mrgreen: :yes:
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:46 pm

I'd put the bark collars back on the dogs even though they aren't a problem. If they start barking when the anonymous neighbor walks up to your mailbox then it reinforces what that neighbor thinks. Also, I would put a lock on your kennel gate or the gate to your yard. No point in taking chances. Also, dig a tiger pit.

We had some neighbors a while back that started to complain to the city about us for things that we weren't doing. My dad talked to the neighbors and found out from another neighbor who was behind it. It turns out that the lady two houses down, whose son was one of my best friends growing up, sicked her friend that worked for the city on my parents because my dad belonged to the opposing political party that she belonged to.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Remington1187 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:35 pm

Call the police station, not the 911 number, and tell them if they get any complaints or something like that to first come over and watch the german shepard to prove its your neighbor's dog. Tell them there is someone threatening to go to court and if the cop sees its not your dog, if they get a call, they can say, "Are you 100% SURE that is his dogs and not his neighbors?" I dont know what that would do but I think it would help if the law is on YOUR side.
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Video

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:49 pm

I live in a neighborhood with and HOA and I have learned there are those who live to complain. Odds are they won't do anything about it. What they have done is annonymous which means they don't want you to know who they are. I would video your dog being quiet while the neighbor's dog is barking. I would also show how you have tarped your kennel and would also document date and times when a dog is barking and yours isn't. This will go a long way with both the courts and the police. If it does go to court the only thing your neighbor can prove is that you have a dog. They cannot prove that your dog is the one barking, especially with your neighbor having a dog as well. You, however can provide documentation that you have taken actions to reduce your dogs barking and show that your dogs lay quiet while the neighbor's dog barks.

I wish you the best.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

federal offense

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm

Sorry for forgetting this in my last posting. It is a federal offense for anyone to put something in your mailbox that did not come through the postal system.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:53 pm

SCoutdoorsman wrote:Anyway if they are putting it in there its a NO NO to begin with, tape it on the outside is one thing opening it up and placing something in there I think they would take the 500 dollar fine vs the fine they will get when caught.

Yeah... if they did ever try to take you to cort, remidn them that it is a FEDERAL OFFENCE to tamper w/ a postal box, and that being falsy occused of having barking dogs isnt... :hammering:

Good Luck man, let us know what happens :smile:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:19 pm

First I don't believe anyone that isn't "man" enough to confront someone about a problem isn't going to take you to court. Secondly thats why I moved to where I am at now NO NEIGHBORS. The only thing I would worry with is them doing something to your dogs. So if it gets to heated I would just bring them inside.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:01 pm

if you have a video camera i would try to get some footage with audio to go along with the snapshots of the neighbor's dog barking.

then i would let them cite me and take it to court.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:32 pm

98 I agree with the video taping of the neighbours dog barking and set the vid camera or a game camera up to catch the mad mailer. Good luck with the resolving of this matter without blood shed! lol
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:49 am

:withstupid:

Video evidence of the neighbors dog barking and your dogs not is the best defense. Talk to your neighbors. They see your dogs out all the time so they "think" its your dogs.

Don't worry about it.

PS, move out in the country and fix all these problems!! The people are friendly and don't cause as much problems unless you get a real redneck. :thumbsup:
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brdprey » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:46 am

98ramtough wrote:I have talked to all the neighbors that I know and a few that I don't. I often have problems walking up to the door and talking to people, they think cause I am a big guy I am mean or something lol... I am thinking about putting a motion camera on that side of the house just in case someone does try anything with my dogs, they are very important to me.

i have some unmentionables move in next door to me and my rottie hates em.he hates mexicans for some reason. anyway, i think i will have to put a camera back there to watch them. he may end up dead some night.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:32 am

98, I'd be willing to bet that it is your neighbor (the owner of the barking dog). She is probably so fed up with her own dog barking, and not knowing how to deal with it that she is trying to intimidate you into moving your dogs and/or kennel so her own dog will quit barking. That is why the notes are left unsigned. From my experiences when I'm pissed off or meet someone pissed off they want to make sure you know who they are so the issue can be resolved.

Best bet to stay safe and protected is to follow through with the video evidence and make the appropriate phone calls.

Another idea is to leave your dogs in the kennel for the same time allotment on a day off from work and monitor them to see if you hear barking, during the time frame you are normally gone. It would suck to have to leave them in there any longer than they need to, but at least it would reassure you that they aren't the barkers.

One more idea is while videoing your neighbors dog, video your dogs while the neighbors dog is barking. If ever needed the tape would prove that your dogs aren't involved.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole