Neighbors threaten to take me to court!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:52 pm

98, leave a note where ever they are leaving them and tell 'em you'll see them in court. When they loose their suit, counter sue for expenses and time lost at work. :thumbsup: Oh yeah you could also throw in some emotional crap as well if you wanted to get good at the whole suing thing.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:32 am

I have a beagle and I made sure that she does not bark all night long. There is nothing worse then having a dog in the neighborhood who barks all night long.
I would have to agree that it might be the neighbor with the barking dog. You said shes a bit off her rocker, so theres no telling what he motives are. I would take precautions to make sure this person, whomever it may be, doesn't harm your dogs. The camera by the kennel doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me.
I'm not so sure that the federal law would be too rough on someone for leaving a note in a personal mailbox, I would assume that only applies to the boxes that are under the direct control of the post office.
I think I would let the 5-o know whats going on just so that if something does happen they know about it in advance and from you not this other person. Apparently the person either isn't smart enough or doesn't want the police involved or you would have already been visited.
Good luck man and keep those chessies safe. If you want you can send em to me and I'll keep em safe through duck season!! LOL
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Merganser » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:41 am

You are all missing the point, I think. The threatening "take you to court" is not the concern. The next door neighbor's barking german shepard is what would be my concern (I don't want to listen to a barking dog either!).
Bgoldhunter came the closest to a solution. However, I don't advocate killing the neighbor's dog. They will take you to court for that! 98Ram:Get you a "supersize" water gun (one of those that you pump up) and fill it with ammonia and water. Shoot the german shepard in the face with it the next time you catch him barking at your dogs. It will take his breath momentarily and he will stop doing it! (I know, I did it to my next door neighbor's dog. The neighbors never knew the difference and the dog quit barking!!
Merganser
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:50 am

Just find out who the anonymous neighbor is and send them over to our neck of the woods on Maiden Lane. Let them complain about the people who live behind us who will not stop parking their Escalade in the front yard, opening all the doors and blaring insanely loud music almost every afternoon and evening! One day they played Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" on repeat for almost 45 minutes! Now if that's not REAL grounds for a lawsuit I don't know what is!

Seriously, good luck. It looks like you have gotten some great suggestions and there's no way any judge could possibly find you liable for this problem.

:thumbsup:
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:01 am

For now what I have done is put my bark collars back on my dogs, so if someone comes by to videotape my dogs they will see bark collars on them. I have also started videoing the neighbors dog barking when I put my dogs out in the morning and feed them, and I tape the neighbors barking dog at night when I get them out of the kennel. I will post them up on the web here so you guys can see them! lol
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:57 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:Hmm.... since you live in town, I think a .22 short would take care of your problem. :mrgreen:

:toofunny: :withstupid: :toofunny: thats hilarious

and my solution would be to do what you've done, maybe ask your neighbor to quiet his dog, and then just let em take you to court... then you will know who was being an @$$ and can tell them where to shove it when they lose. Dont forget to let them know that you are suing (spelling?) them for puting stuff in your mailbox. They will shut up real quick.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:32 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:25 pm

Merganser wrote: 98Ram:Get you a "supersize" water gun (one of those that you pump up) and fill it with ammonia and water. Shoot the german shepard in the face with it the next time you catch him barking at your dogs. It will take his breath momentarily

I guess if the shepard is blinded by the ammonia he will not be able to se 98's dog to bark at it. Good choice.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:36 am

Okay, let’s be honest here. A dog barking all the time is a big problem. A person should be able to sleep with their windows open. The real issue in the original post is that the guilty party is most likely the dog next door. As dog owners, we are always guilty by association.

The second problem is that half the time, if you bring an issue up with anyone, you get attacked or they look for revenge. Heck, look at half these suggestions in this post, they are about getting even. Please!!!! That is why the person has resorted to letters or notes. They don’t want to be on the receiving end of a rant.

I am with HVAC and Merganser on this one. I would start with the neighbor with the shepherd and explain that their dog’s barking MAY be getting you in trouble. I would offer to loan a bark collar to that neighbor. Secondly, I would go to each neighbor in a VERY friendly manner and explain the situation. I would give my phone number and ask that they please call if they believe my dog’s barking is bothering them. Assure each that your goal is tranquility and world peace. Hey, humor helps.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby tengoose1 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:53 am

The old saying put the fear of God in them would probably work in this situation. I would wait until there are people around to witness you going out and screaming profane and abusive words at the neighbors dog while throwing things around in the yard. They would probably not bother you any more because they would think there is something defenitely wrong with you and you might do something crazy if they took you to court. lol just kidding I am with Rat Creek, HVAC, Merganser on this one.
I dont want to kill them all just the first one and the last one!
tengoose1
hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:03 am

okay everyone you probably saw my post on here earlier...well this same type thing was going on at my house, but it seemed to kind of go away. well this mourning the guy next door comes over and leaves a note on the glass door and slams the door, so my brother goes out there and was like why the hell did you slam our door, so the next door neighbor starts yelling and cussing at my brother trying to make him fight and all thiss non sense...he said this is the "last verbal warning" and then hes gona sue us.

so anyways he used to put the notes in the mailbox but now he doesnt, so i cant get any evidence about him tampering with a mailbox.

i mean our dogs will bark if someone walks by the house or something but since all this started happening weve been bringing the dogs inside so they arent barking all night...also there are about 5 other dogs around us who bark constantly....

this guy just moved in 6 months ago and we have never had anybody else complain before...what should i do??
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:58 pm

I would still try to kill him with kindness. I would get bark collars for the dogs and let him know that you have done this. Explain to him how they work.

Now this is very important- Ask him for his help in this situation. I have learned that if you ask for help or guidance, it disarms people and they tend to want to help. Tell him that you want him to call you if the dogs are bothering him and you will remedy the situation.

Anything other than this and you end up with a hostile living environment which is no fun for anyone.

This is easy to say and hard to do, but the biggest challenge is the testosterone flow. When confronted, we have a natural fight or flight reaction. Change it from a "me versus him" confrontation to a team approach to finding a solution. As I said, easy to say…

I wish you a lot of luck because having good neighbors is such a blessing, but it takes maintenance to keep them that way.

If this fails, get a real estate agent.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby tengoose1 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:52 am

Well if he threatened any kind of bodily harm you should of broke his nose. He was on your property and your brother could say he took the first swing. Saying you are going to kick someones a-- is assault. Hitting them is battery. Doing both is assualt and battery. Assualt is verbal, battery is physical. This guy is a jerk, put a no tresspassing sign up and the next time he comes in your yard have him arrested. People like that just need a good a--whoopin.

you---------:hammering:
neighbor :help:

Or you could just ask him WHY CANT WE JUST GET ALONG and his answer would be because I am a jerk
I dont want to kill them all just the first one and the last one!
tengoose1
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:02 am

I think that the next time you see a dead dog on the side of the road that had been hit by a car, you scoop it up and leave it on his doorstep. Or toss it in a window of his car or house. Maybe attach a note saying that next time it will be him. :toofunny:

P.s. wear gloves while writing the note. :laughing: :laughing:
Mattquack
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole