The Canvasback(yester-year)

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

The Canvasback(yester-year)

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:02 pm

Thought this was cool, so I'll paraphrase from, "American Duck Shooting."

We had not been waiting long, when what we hoped for took place. A bunch of 200 birds rose from a further hole, and after swinging a few times, dropped down in the hole closest to us. These were immediately followed by other bunches, and these by others; so often that two or three flocks would be swinging about in the air at one time, and all of them with our pocket in mind as their objective point. They decended into it by companies of fifties, hundreds and two hundreds, and before long the open water was so crowded with fowl that it seemed as if it could hold no more, as if the birds that came next must alight on the backs of their comrades.
Soon after the birds alighted they began to dive for food, and, probably one-half of them being under water at any moment. room was made for other incoming birds to occupy. The splashing of the diving ducks made the water bubble and boil. Next, something occurred to attract their attention, and all stretched their necks up into the air and looked. I think I have never seen anything in the way of feathered animal life more impressive than this forest of thick necks, crowned by long, shapely heads of rich brown. It is impossible to convey to one who has not witnessed such a sight its interest and fascination. Here within gunshot where twelve to fifteen hundred of the most desirable duck that flies.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:09 pm

That would definately be an awsome sight to see!

Thanks for sharing that hvac :thumbsup:

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:22 am

Welcome to Wisconsin on the Mississippi River late November into December! I've seen rafts of divers in the thousands, including Cans, Redheads, Ringecks, Bluebills, Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Hooded Mergansers, Common Mergansers, and of course those thieving Wigeon. I came back from Deer hunting the fourth weekend in November, and saw literally thousands of ducks from Seneca to Prarie Du Chien. I told myself that I was going to get a piece of that, so I'm hunting the last two days of the season over there!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:44 am

Would be an incredible sight. Very poetic havac.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:32 pm

That would be an increadable sight. Here if I see 50 birds / ducks in one spot I think it is awsome.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:25 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Welcome to Wisconsin on the Mississippi River late November into December! I've seen rafts of divers in the thousands, including Cans, Redheads, Ringecks, Bluebills, Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Hooded Mergansers, Common Mergansers, and of course those thieving Wigeon. I came back from Deer hunting the fourth weekend in November, and saw literally thousands of ducks from Seneca to Prarie Du Chien. I told myself that I was going to get a piece of that, so I'm hunting the last two days of the season over there!

Count yourself as lucky, friend. I'm with Greg, I see a 50 duck raft and I'm beside myself.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:28 am

mallardman77 wrote:That would definately be an awsome sight to see!

Thanks for sharing that hvac :thumbsup:

:salude:

:withstupid: oh how glorious a sight that would be. canvasbacks are my trophy duck...hey hvac, is that a book or magazine? i would like to read the whole thing. thanks in advance...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:02 pm

That is a book........and a great read at that. Get out your reading glasses, it's 616 pages long. "American Duck Shooting" George Bird Grinnell. A hobby of mine, two years in the making, is collecting a library of sorts about ducks and duck hunters.....the older the better. The copyright on this particular one is 1901. 95% of the books that I buy are from E-bay. There is not much more compelling to me than the stories of the old duck hunters. If your interested Shrp, I have recomendations.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:26 pm

You must be the one that always outbids me on those books. I was bidding on that same book i believe about 2 mos ago. :laughing:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:48 pm

:toofunny: :toofunny: , likely.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:13 pm

hvac, you don't know how interested i would be in that list. i'll definitely look up the one mentioned above but would love to hear about any others you can recommend. hell, send me the list of your entire library for that matter.

couldn't be better timing either, i just finished my last clancy book, teeth of the tiger... :thumbsup:

thanks for the offer!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:38 pm

Just then... his punt gun barks...BOOOOOM!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole