Learn where to duck hunt without asking where to duck hunt…

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Learn where to duck hunt without asking where to duck hunt…

Postby CP » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:18 am

Okay, I have seen many posts mid-season from newBs, who get chewed out about asking for spots. I am going to post the process that I used to learn how to duck hunt. Of course I have just started to learn and still have much to learn about the sport, but I would like to post how my learning process has worked thus far. My hope is that by doing so, it will give other newBs an idea of the great latitude they have in learning where to hunt… showing that you do not need to ask strangers on an online forum for their spots. As I will show, with a little work, there are may effective ways to learn where to hunt....

Do not…. Use an online forum to ask questions that could (albeit remotely) sound like you are asking for a spot. This means boat launches, types of cover for an area, details on Conservation Areas, migration patters and updates, area depths, major water bodies, etc., etc., etc. And yes, an entire “state” is a spot, so don’t ask about a state. If you do, you will learn nothing, demonstrate that you do not deserve the information, and will anger your peers.

Do… become a member of DU and/or Delta Waterfowl and attend a local group meeting. Attending the annual dinner is even better. Even if you are low on time, as I am with two kids and lots of outside responsability, it is a great way to meet real people who want to help you those who merit help. And the ethic of supporting the national effort with cash is a respectable thing. It is an investment into the sport, and everyone benefits from that. I know that the time committment is not for everyone... I try to get to these once every 2 years and I do keep up my membership with one of them.

Do… use forums to make friends. Post ideas and opinions and overall, come across as a helpful and useful contributer. I try to post 2 answers for evey one question that I need ideas on. And "Yes", using the forums to make friends means investing some time into getting to know people on the forums and in real life. Friends are something that we in our modern world scan use more of. Which brings me to my next tip...

Do... offer to get a lunch with someone who duck hunts. I did the same thing when I learned how to fly fish. I have taken guys out for a burger just to hang out and ask about the basics... safety, gear, what to do when..., etc. Often this leads to going out hunting together. I am very appreciative to the guys who gave me thier time over a soda to talk to a newB duck hunter... and they did give me a couple of starting spots to try. Priceless, and I am thankful for those guy's investment into me!!! And yes… friends can be a great source of information on where and how to hunt. However, do not expect that new friends that you have spoken to a couple of time to be source on spots. Befriending a guy to get his spots is not very friendly or respectful. Make friends and invest into them. Freinds are worth more than a "spot"!

Do… use forums to trade trips. If you like to coyote hunt and have he spots and gear… offer to trade a hunt! Again, a great way to build friendships and learn where and how to hunt. I would love to kill predators in Feb, trading that for time on my boat in November.

Do… talk to guys you work with, go to church with, go to school with, etc. Within your network of friends, you probably know some guys who will take you out with them. Use those relationships and spend a day hanging out with someone.

Do… speak with conservation staff. These guys are awesome, a wealth of knowledge and very willing to help. When you meet them at the front of a poor-line at one of the CAs… ask them questions!!! You have them for about 5 minutes, so use the time wisely. If you phone, be sure to call them SEVERAL days before a hunt if you need info in-season. Your lack of planning should not lead to four messages on their phone system. Also, do as I do and call them with your scouting questions in the off-season. Be polite and thankful. They work hard for us.

Do… Gather maps… Get every free map that MO, ACoE,, the federal government, and nonprofit organizations have. Look for hiking, boating, canoeing, hunting, fishing, camping, and navigation map that you can find. Buy a MO atlas and other maps that are very detailed, including every specific body of water that you will hunt. (aside from spots, there are good safety reasons to do so as well). Google maps is your BFF! A sat. image give you information that a map lacks, and if you are lucky, the photo will be taken when the body of water was iced over... clearly showing where the water is.

Do… Gather online information… The info is out there so be wise and use it. The best way to gather online information is to search the specific area or body of water by name. Do this in google, MDC sites, and online forums. HOWEVER, avoid adding to the mass of data by asking spot questions. No one every answers those anyhow so don't anger people by trying.

Do…. Read magazine articles. Lot so great info is written in print. I always look at the Missouri and Midwest magazines around Sept and October for information on waterfowl hunting. Just check the cover… it will let you know if the mag is worth buying.

Do… start a filing system for your intel. This is the best single tip I can give poeple. Try it. I carry with me a black file bag with all information sorted by area name. I do the same for fly fishing. It works great and I always have it with me when I go out. If a spot falls though, I have 5 others in an area. Also, it gives you a way to manage your experience, recording micro-trends for an area related to temp, season, and so on.

Last and most important “do” to tell you… Do… SCOUT. That means taking time BEFORE HUTNING SEASON to go out to new spots, observe, and learn. When you do scout, do take good notes. See. Observe. Take in the site and the day. Who would not enjoy a drive through the dirt roads in the middle of July wiht your kids looking for animals. Cheep and fun!

Again, do not post questions on spots on online forums. It is clear helplessness, shows that you have no initiative, shows that you lack creativity, and demonstrates laziness. Best,

~CP
CP
hunter

Re: Learn where to duck hunt without asking where to duck hunt…

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:46 am

snap!!!!!!!i think i struck a nerve...
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter

Postby CP » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:24 pm

RIVER RAT 1 wrote:snap!!!!!!!i think i struck a nerve...

Um, actually no. I have no ill will toward you, River Rat, nor have I felt offended by you. As a matter of fact, you were quite helpful to me once when I asked for tips on river fishing. You basically did what you say that you do... gave me some education on what and how to do without giving me any spots. I am still appreciative of that. I carry your replies in my "tips" file for when I hit a few of my river spots.

As I said, I wrote this to be helpful to new hunters on the forum, as I often feel bad for well-meaning, yet uninformed new hunters looking for a spot who get chased away after posting a "where to hunt" question. I was one of those once and I had to figure it out... The above is what I did in the past year to learn where and how to hunt.
CP
hunter

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:39 pm

i try to be straight forward and tell people the side that they are not seeing or do not know about.....i have been doing this a long time and have seen alot of stuff......i have seen the c/a's that i hunt overrun by EDITED FOR VAPOR I HURT HIS FEELINGS all b/c of this internet......before the www hunting those places were alot of fun......now i go and cant get out and i have to smell beer breath and butting in line and i cant here the speach b/c of them bragging about the hunt they had the day before...they walk around jinggling the bands around there neck they bought of ebay.........

basically you have to lease or put up with this crap......i prefur to not do either one anymore, that leaves me with rivers and lakes and a private slough if your lucky....if we dont keep these spots a secret,alot of us wouldnt have a place to hunt....there is 20-30 parties a day going home from the c/a that do not have a place to hunt...if a person posted it on here you know what would happen..........ill stop my daily ranting........ :huh:
Last edited by RIVER RAT 1 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Yup your right its us young guys that are ruining duck hunting! IDIOT :fingerhead:
vapor300
hunter

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:13 pm

vapor300 wrote:Yup your right its us young guys that are ruining duck hunting! IDIOT :fingerhead:

if you feel you fall into that category then so be it.......

you dont understand half the stuff you read do you?????

thanks for the the name calling.......i rest my case......
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:28 pm

I have killed over 100 ducks this season so whatever i am doing is working! :hammer:

I read alot of the stuff on here just to pass the time, some of it i consider the other stuff i laugh at, everyones got there own opions and just because something is working at one place dont mean it will work at another.

And most ppl arent like me and you, they cant get out and watch the birds or hunt as much as they would like, they either have kids or are busy working or who knows what, and if they have a general question that i can answer i will, im not going to bash them for asking a question, but go ahead if it makes you feel better about yourself.
vapor300
hunter

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:52 am

vapor300 wrote:I have killed over 100 ducks this season so whatever i am doing is working! :hammer:

I read alot of the stuff on here just to pass the time, some of it i consider the other stuff i laugh at, everyones got there own opions and just because something is working at one place dont mean it will work at another.

And most ppl arent like me and you, they cant get out and watch the birds or hunt as much as they would like, they either have kids or are busy working or who knows what, and if they have a general question that i can answer i will, im not going to bash them for asking a question, but go ahead if it makes you feel better about yourself.

this has to be one of your better posts...... :biggrin:

i will answer a general question but i will not have anything to do with cyber scouting.... there is alot of diff...

this is alot of fun...i have been on vaca all week.....you wont have to put up with me as much now... :eek: :eek:
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:09 am

Im not going to give anyone an exact spot to go to either
vapor300
hunter

Postby kdog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:12 pm

RIVER RAT 1 wrote:i have seen the c/a's that i hunt overrun by EDITED FOR VAPOR I HURT HIS FEELINGS all b/c of this internet......before the www hunting those places were alot of fun......now i go and cant get out and i have to smell beer breath and butting in line and i cant here the speach b/c of them bragging about the hunt they had the day before...they walk around jinggling the bands around there neck they bought of ebay.........

........ :huh:

Amen to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vapor your not killing 100 ducks on public ...............no way
stay in your private hole
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:10 pm

I have killed around 20 ducks on 1 CA, only went twice, but yeah 90% of the birds i have killed have been at the club, but its been getting slow, but the GEESE are here :grooving:
vapor300
hunter

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:56 pm

kdog wrote:
RIVER RAT 1 wrote:i have seen the c/a's that i hunt overrun by EDITED FOR VAPOR I HURT HIS FEELINGS all b/c of this internet......before the www hunting those places were alot of fun......now i go and cant get out and i have to smell beer breath and butting in line and i cant here the speach b/c of them bragging about the hunt they had the day before...they walk around jinggling the bands around there neck they bought of ebay.........

........ :huh:

Amen to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vapor your not killing 100 ducks on public ...............no way
stay in your private hole

vapor may not be able to but i used to kill over 100 ducks a year on public c/a all the time...i believe it was 10 years straight.again this was when we could get out and the hunting was very good there in the mid 90 s and early 2000...

i cant tell you how many times we killed 24 ducks every time we went....

we had 1 hole 1 year that if it was still open they just wrote our names down....my buddy drew 8-18 all year long....

i have another buddy that drew single digets almost every time he went. too bad i wasnt hunting with him....again this is not always the case now we are drawing aginst allot more people and the emd system sucks.......i quit going(to the c/a)i have to hunt mostly by myself these days....you know how it is as you get older and people move...
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:59 pm

If you can kill 100 birds a year at a CA more power to you, but im not going to get up at 3am and wait in line for a chance to get to hunt, maybe once or twice a year but thats it.
vapor300
hunter

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:41 pm

vapor300 wrote:If you can kill 100 birds a year at a CA more power to you, but im not going to get up at 3am and wait in line for a chance to get to hunt, maybe once or twice a year but thats it.

i agree, i dont do it any more for several reasons...i dont kill half that many now but i am ok with it....i have a diff. job than what i used to have. i used to take 3+ weeks of vaca a duck season...now since i had to start a new job i dont even get 3 weeks yet...
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter

Postby CP » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 pm

RIVER RAT 1 wrote:i quit going(to the c/a)i have to hunt mostly by myself these days....you know how it is as you get older and people move...

This is a total injustice!!! I volunteer to hunt with you... so just PM me and you will have someone to cut your ice. :biggrin:

See, now you don't have to hunt alone any more... and I swear that I wont tell anyone your spots! :smile:

~CP
CP
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:15 pm

37 coots??? :huh:
vapor300
hunter

Postby CP » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:35 pm

First year duck hunting, so the duck numbers are true. Rather unfortunate... but it took me 3 trips just to learn how to call them with the double read. I was over calling, badly.

The coot number is a fabrication... but I did kill a bunch at one of the CAs to serve as coot gumbo for my church's annual men's ministry beast feast. :) It went over well. You just had to pick the coot meat out from the shrimp, clams, oysters, and fish in the gumbo.

~CP
CP
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:22 pm

You live close to wentzville??? I have a bunch of calls you can try out, and i can possibly help you out.
vapor300
hunter

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:32 am

coot gumbo....tell me more...
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter

Postby CP » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Well...Nothing really to tell. it was more like a very good, very flavorful Gumbo... with 8 coot breasts and one Gadwall breast in it. The object was to make a dish that eveyone would love, and then let them know after they had eaten it that it was coot. So there was no magic in the recipe... only one taken from the foodnetwork.com that I could cut coot meat into. And the dish was actually fantastic, and got ripped apart at the event.

My thought was that if coot breast tasted a bit like muddy fish liver... cook that daylights out of it in a dish that was somewhat earthy and fishy. Thus... Gumbo! Seperated from the Gumbo, the coot meat was... acceptable. Not bad, not great. Really it was like the texture of a firm liver. The Gumbo was so well seasoned that the coot did not taste muddy or fishy...it was "Gumbo-ee", which I believe is an improvement on the flavor of coot. Also, I cut and scraped every notion of coot fat off the hidious vermin... of which there was much. Greasy little monsters! One coot breast had enough fat to power a bio-desel truck. My hands were coot oiled after cleaning them.... wonderful for the skin if you could get past the cootish-smell.

I think that taking the fat off was probably needed for this to taste acceptable... and it was really great.

Go to www.foodnetwork.com and find "Louisiana Gumbo" from Paula Dean. I can't stand listening to Paula Dean's voice but I will use her recipe.... "that cake's flatter than a tractor-run'd hen on December Cee-ment... yaaaaall"

:)

~CP
Last edited by CP on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CP
hunter

Postby CP » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:10 pm

One other odd thing to note about cleaning and eating a coot....

While I was in there breasting them out, I had this odd feeling like I was doing something wrong. It felt like I might feel if the world were at war and I was at the end of the line with food options. Like I had lost my job and my kids were starving and I was at someone elses kitchen cleaning seagulls.

Then, when it was time to try and eat the coot meat... And maybe that feeling was mental... but I felt like the Ecuidorian Soccer team guys who crashed in the Andies and had to eat thier pilot to stay alive. I actually chewed it with the tips of my front four teeth. Like it was wrong to fully commit to chew it.

Maybe it was the curse of the coot. I duno.

~CP
CP
hunter

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:31 pm

thats a funny story....i am glad that someone got some use from the coot meat.....most people shoot them for fun and throw them in a ditch.......i had some guy hide one in my boat at a c/a one time and i found it a week later....i went to a non draw c/a 1 time this year and some kids got so board they walked around the whole area just to shoot coots....one of them was between me and them and they didnt hesitate to shoot at it....i wasnt real happy....they were about 150 yards from me and the coot was 75 yards on the water...i know people that have been shot doing stupid stuff like this on ice.....the shot will bounce off of the ice and go a long way.....

anyway thanks for sharing the story.....
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter

Postby kdog » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Look up james w.(huntoften) from missouri waterfowl asscociation (MWA) He loves coot .........The louisiana boys like them as well ..gizzards and liver the best ..so they say ........... poule d"eau
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby CP » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:40 pm

kdog wrote:The louisiana boys like them as well ..gizzards and liver the best ..so they say ........... poule d"eau

Sweet! At next year's church Beast Feast, I will serve all of my chums... "poot de' coot".

CP
hunter

Postby CP » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 pm

RIVER RAT 1 wrote:thats a funny story....i am glad that someone got some use from the coot meat.....

At the moment, the guys and I only do one Beast Feast a year at the church. At six Coots per pot of Gumbo, and with 90,000,000 wild coots in each Conservation Area in the state... I will need to ramp up the church to (errr... Ninty-thousand... add the one... subtract the numerator... carry the seven) Sixty thousand more church Beast Feasts and we can stabilize the coot population in Central Missouri.

We are going to have to find more rice.

RiverRat... I am not sure I really found a use for coot meat... I think that all I am saying is that I found a use for six coots.

CP
hunter

Next

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting