Mid-America Hunting Association

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Mid-America Hunting Association

Postby STLWaterfowlers » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys thought of the Mid-America Hunting Association. Are they pretty successful harvesting ducks and geese?

Thanks
:beer:

Link to Mid-America Hunting Association
http://www.mahaduck.com/index.html
STLWaterfowlers
hunter

Re: Mid-America Hunting Association

Postby mcdux » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:32 pm

I was a member last yr. in hopes of having access to ducks and geese. We didn't kill many ducks at all...not enough to justify the amount in dues. If you're a big deer or turkey hunter, I'd say yes, join because the access of land is crazy. We never had a hard time getting the property we wanted for duck, deer or turkey. All of their north MO properties won't be worth a darn this yr due to the flooding....they weren't worth a darn last yr either. The properties that they offer for waterfowl are cool looking properties and look awful ducky, but the birds just didn't use them....lack of food source at the properties seem to be a lot of the problem as I see it. The guys that run the operation are great people. They bent over backwards to put us on the properties they thought would produce. Really genuine folks for sure. It just wasn't what we were looking for due to the lack of bird activity. But I will say, there were several properties that we never hunted nor scouted. Many of their properties are 1-2 hrs south of KC so scouting was an issue. Hope this helps....deer and turkey for sure though....just not the fowl IMO!!!
mcdux
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:36 am

Yeah i was in it for a year as well!! Not much for the duck hunters!!!!! :no: :no: :no:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Owners are great people. Like all other duck hunting, you need to scout. You cant just go to any given property and expect the ducks to be pouring into it. They have a ton of great looking spots, but you have to follow the birds. They have properties with permanent blinds and wade in areas. They also have some good fields to hunt the honkers. Some people will complain about feed on the properties, but they don't realize how EXPENSIVE it is to leave that standing and flooding it or whatever else you might do. Keep in mind its a hunting club, not a duck club. However, with that being said, the proportion of duck hunters to other hunters is very low which means no competition for your spots. They will take care of you.
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
Retrieves for 2014-15 Season: 13
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby STLWaterfowlers » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:53 am

thanks for all your input
STLWaterfowlers
hunter

Postby flynfold » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:14 pm

I would agree with everything that was said. I was a member for fourteen years. I have know the owner for a long time. They will help you has much as the can. You got to scout and try different spots. You can find places that know one ever hunts. Like anything else keep it on QT and you can do really well. if you are tired of the public hunting it makes sense. I have some friend that duck hunted all the time last year and did really well. If you join, pm me and I will give you some good spots.
flynfold
hunter

Postby Ks now MO Duck Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm

mcdux wrote:I was a member last yr. in hopes of having access to ducks and geese. We didn't kill many ducks at all...not enough to justify the amount in dues. If you're a big deer or turkey hunter, I'd say yes, join because the access of land is crazy. We never had a hard time getting the property we wanted for duck, deer or turkey. All of their north MO properties won't be worth a darn this yr due to the flooding....they weren't worth a darn last yr either. The properties that they offer for waterfowl are cool looking properties and look awful ducky, but the birds just didn't use them....lack of food source at the properties seem to be a lot of the problem as I see it. The guys that run the operation are great people. They bent over backwards to put us on the properties they thought would produce. Really genuine folks for sure. It just wasn't what we were looking for due to the lack of bird activity. But I will say, there were several properties that we never hunted nor scouted. Many of their properties are 1-2 hrs south of KC so scouting was an issue. Hope this helps....deer and turkey for sure though....just not the fowl IMO!!!

I too have had zero duck days. not because the mid-america wetlands were not good. the wetlands are well developed. there is food as well. and water when it was dry elsewhere. we had a pool cut open in front of the blind. what i can say is when the ducks are in the wetlands will hold them. that is not every day. just as it was not every day for any other waters we saw. it is for them as it is everywhere, migration and weather. just because we paid to hunt we do not expect the hunt to always be great. the short answer is we get enough ducks and have enough good days to bring us back.
Ks now MO Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby Ks now MO Duck Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm

i_willie12 wrote:Yeah i was in it for a year as well!! Not much for the duck hunters!!!!! :no: :no: :no:

Something is wrong about this posting. How can anyone who actually has been on the MAHA wetlands say there is nothing for waterfowl hunting? They have plenty of water to hunt. Permanent blinds. Wade-in and layout areas. Full water sets, dry sets and combinations. More crop land to scout for goose than anyone could cover. This is the kind of posting that defeats the very reason there are forums. They should be for multiple reviews by those with objectivity. Just a look at their web site pictures and wetlands pictures show there is much potential. I suspect such a posting comes from those that have difficulty hunting wherever it may be. From my experience if someone cannot make a good hunt on MAHA it is likely for cause other than MAHA.
Ks now MO Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby Public Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:02 pm

I was a member in 2000-2002 years and joined specifically for duck hunting. Most of the comments on here are fairly accurate. The reason I left was the proximity of their closest duck property was about 3 hours away from the St. Louis area and it got to be too long a drive for me. I pretty much only hunted the property they had close to Fountain Grove in Meadville. It was fairly productive and had some good days out there. Like some mentioned before this property had no food and I suspect birds were using the property as a rest area from FG and Swan Lake. I know there were several spots near Clinton, MO but never made it there so I can't comment on those properties. I agree that they did try to help out as much as possible, my only complaint with the organization was that they seemed to cater to the folks from KC as they were constantly adding properties within an hour or two drive from the west side of the state.
Public Hunter
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting