Mound City/ Squaw Creek

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Mound City/ Squaw Creek

Postby ducksbuck » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:18 pm

I am thinking of coming down to Missouri next Dec. to try duck hunting. I am from Minnesota, and if there is decent hunting, and access to hunting in the north part of the state, that would be ideal.

Is there public hunting in Squaw Creek? Is there field hunting oppertunities in that area or to the west?

I have lots of time to do some research, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Buck

Our passions will take us much farther than our occupations.
ducksbuck
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:52 pm

There are probably some others than can help more than I might but, Squaw Creek is a refuge/no hunting allowed, I think. There are a couple very popular public hunting areas in the northern part of the state. One is Grand Pass Conservation area another is Bob Brown Conservation Area. Both are especially for waterfowl hunting. For a weekend hunt, the trick is having a reservation that you have to apply for in Sept. During weekdays you have a much better chance at drawing in, as they only allow so many hunters per day. There are others but those are the most productive north central and northwestern managed areas. Eagle Bluffs south of Columbia usually holds a respectable number of birds as well.

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/wtrfowl/

Here's the link to main waterfowl hunting page. It has info on all the managed areas as well as some info on the Reservation System.

The atlas in this website might be helpful too.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:48 pm

If your going to be in the north west part of the state by Mound City then I would go for Nodaway Valley or Bob Brown. Thats where I always try to get my reservations. Grand pass is at least 2 good hours away while Bob Brown and Nodaway are like 5 mins. Thats all that I know about as far as public land, most of the area is private. I guess if you bring a boat you could hunt the river I have never done it that far up north but I have heard of people doing pretty good on it up there.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Mound City Squaw Creek Duck Hunting (Seasonal Blind Lease)

Postby Jamie Barnes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:57 pm

If you make the draw Bob Brown is usually fantastic waterfowl hunting. Scout it ahead of time though so you know where you're going(if you make the draw, again).

[Edited by A2]
Jamie Barnes
Banned

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting