Duck Hunting Forum banner

any cardinal fans around?

834 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  foggyhunt 
#1 ·
greetings MO duck hunters. I grew up hunting Calif for 49 yrs and have been in AK 2 yrs now. The duck hunting is ok but nothing close to what I had back in CA. I'm thinking of moving to the stl area because I'm a cardinals fan and have always wanted to be a season tix holder. I'm willing to give up the great fishing in AK because I rather live in a state that has better duck hunting than fishing. Our private club back in CA wasn't too big, 400 acres with 10 double blinds and 2 stand up tule blinds and the club shoots very well. I like to hunt tules but only once ever hunted geese in the fields. We get snows into our spreads when the timing is good. Sprig, teal mallard, gad's redheads and cans. a few wood ducks, plenty of widgeon and spoonies which i try not to shoot. Have any you guys shot a golden eye in MO?

I'm thinking I want to live no further than 40 min. from the stadium. When hunting ducks, can i have good shooting during the peak season say....1/2 hr to 1 1/2 hrs away? roughly 90 miles from stl? That's what I was used to driving back home in CA. 90 miles one way. I bet you guys sweat yurr hats off during early season.

What are the temps in general throughout your season? Have you guys experienced more rain the last 3 yrs than before? CA has had 3 great seasons with last year, our club breaking records from the previous yrs.

Back home in CA, we normally didn't hunt much through all of November until after thanksgiving because the weather is so nice and hunting is pretty poor. How long do you guys have to go into the season before it starts getting colder? I'm sure a lot of hunting is done by boats on the Missouri r. Thanks for any info.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I'm from the KC area and I hunt mainly the missouri river. I have shot more golden eyes than mallards on the river, now when I goto the conservation areas I have yet to even see one.
Im not sure about how far away the conservation areas are from STL but I know you have a few and maybe some of the St.Louis guys on here can help with that.
Early season here the past couple years I have been wearing just a tshirt its been so hot some times, but usually around mid November the temps start to fall and the duck hunting gets good. Then about mid December it will start freezing and thats when you want to get to the river, especially if you want to shoot goldeneyes (at least thats when we get them here in KC) As far as rain fall we are down from our average. I know a couple of our conservation areas could not flood everything because the river was to low.
I think that most of the hunting is done by boat, however most of the conservation areas you can wade in. But wading in sucks if you ask me, thats why Im putting a blind on my boat for next season.
Hope I was some help to you

#3 ·
hey thanks KC, yeah about the goldeneye duck...I'm not crazy on goldeneyes, they ar a pretty duck and I have a real beauty mounted on the coffee table and was wondering if they fly your flyway. Back in CA, I didn't see but a few shot in many yrs. mid to late season here in AK, they are by the bunches on the river. When I went to bake my first pair they stunk the house up something brutal.

#4 ·
I'm a little closer to St. Louis- and a huge Cards fan. Getting seaon tickets can be a problem, at least good ones. St. Charles area, and the river are good spots, as I understand. Also, the good thing about MO is there are several public spots close to St. Louis but I don't hunt that far east, so I am not sure which is better than others.

I agree with KCDM as far as rainfall, etc..but we don't see a lot of goldeneyes in the middle part of the state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.