Duck Hunting Forum banner

Opening weekend for turkeys

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  huntmq1 
#1 ·
Looks to be a very soggy weekend, so bring ur rain gear. Good luck to everyone whos going out. Scan those fields if its wet cuz thats where the big boy will be holding court

#2 ·
I just got into turkey hunting this year. I've been with friends a few times but never tried on my own. Well to make a long story short, the birds stopped gobbling about 7:30 so I figured they must have bugged out. Well I got up to move and I make the turn on a path cut in soem timber and two tall were walking right towards me.

After talking with my buddies, I guess Toms will go quiet after flying down from their roost. I felt so stupid.

I might try again this weekend. Pretty exciting stuff.

Good luck everyone.

#3 ·
Yes they can go quiet. Several reasons for this. One they have hens and they have no need to gobble. Two, if its raining or cold, they tend to gobble less once they hit the ground. Three, they're sneek'n in on ur postion. Four, the subdominate gobblers are afraid to gobble cuz the dominate one might whip their butts, and finally they may be call shy and to much call'n can shut them up. Its good thing to sit a while if u dont hear one cuz he might just sneek in quietly, especially if its a subdominate tom. If that doesn't work for a while, find a spot with a lot of turkey sign or where u've seen them several times before. Another good idea is to go to where the bird was roosted and set up there. He might come run'n to u. Good luck if u go and bring rain gear, cuz u might have to sit next to a field for a while.

#5 ·
Ya, Ill be out there, and if it keeps up doing what it is now its going to be soggy out there tommrow. I'll definatly be in the rain gear and posting up on the edges of some fields if I cant locate a few in the morning. Its been awhile since I had to get up really early also, might be kinda ruff the first morning! Oh well Good Luck everyone, hopefully we'l get to put the hammer :hammering: down on a few.

#6 ·
So when its raining the birds like to hang out on the edges of fields? Any particular kind of field, fescue, wheat??

So setting up in cleared paths through timber might not be the best plan?

Do you still want to try to locate the gobbling toms in the early morning?

#9 ·
Webfoot12 said:
So when its raining the birds like to hang out on the edges of fields? Any particular kind of field, fescue, wheat??

So setting up in cleared paths through timber might not be the best plan?

Do you still want to try to locate the gobbling toms in the early morning?
You can try to locate some gobblin birds, but they tend to not gobble in the rain or on cold days.

They like fields because they can see threats from a long way off, because when it is raining, they can't hear anything in the woods.

Good luck everyone, I'm heading out tomorrow morning and this weekend I think. My opening day hunt was rough but hopefully I'll make up for it.

#11 ·
I killed a very nice bird (23lbs, 12 3/4" beard, 1 1/2" spurs). I've been hunt'n this bird for atleast 4 years. My cousin killed his buddy in about the same location 4 days before. His was 26lbs, 11" beard, 1 1/4" spurs. I try to post some pics up when i get a chance.

#12 ·
I would think you guys are mounting those birds? Trophies anywhere in the country. Those are some of the best birds I've ever heard of.
:salude:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.