Ice Eater

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Ice Eater

Postby golden6432 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:32 pm

What do you all think of these? Are they worth the money? Any input would be awesome. I am thinking about saving some money this summer and buying one. I have Generator already but it isn't the quiet Honda one.
golden6432
hunter

Re: Ice Eater

Postby Rockboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:39 pm

If you are a late season hunter and love hunting when things are locking up. The best thing you can have is open water. Ice Eaters are a fine device and are your ticket to open water., Have several friends on the west side of MO that use them constantly and yes they do work.
Layout boats and blinds are pure death from below to the mallet's but leaning on a tree is the best deal in the woods!
Rockboy
hunter

Postby Original Al » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:49 pm

We have/use a bunch of them.

They can help, but they're by no means a magic solution.

Loud generator shouldn't matter much, main thing is running it over night to keep the hole from freezing. You can keep it turned off most days on sunny days. If the hole starts to ice back up you just kick it back on for 15 minutes or so. You can also build a box around the generator to insulate some of the sound.
I ain't gone to bed with no ugly women, but I've sure woke up with a few

SEMO expert and hater of all things OOS

Duck hunters in the bootheel are the biggest violators in the Mississippi flyway

Take a kid golfing. My hunting spots are too crowded
Original Al
hunter

Postby golden6432 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:14 pm

how well do they work if the pond is already frozen? I have heard different opinions on this point. Thanks for the info
golden6432
hunter

Postby Original Al » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Honestly don't know, we've never messed with them after a freeze.

We keep an eye on the weather and deploy them pre-freeze

Ours run on electric so it's no big deal to just plug them in and let them run
I ain't gone to bed with no ugly women, but I've sure woke up with a few

SEMO expert and hater of all things OOS

Duck hunters in the bootheel are the biggest violators in the Mississippi flyway

Take a kid golfing. My hunting spots are too crowded
Original Al
hunter

Postby duckmnn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:08 pm

I do run a quit generator,but when a barge goes by the island it makes more noise than any of the loudest generators I've heard.Friends of mine use a loud one.All the ducks are looking for is water
duckmnn
hunter

Postby Kooterx » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:13 pm

We us 2 of them. They work great. We bought 1, used it 1 weekend, limited out over it in 35 minutes when eeveryone else around us was froze up. Bought another one the next weekend and limited just as quick in 2 holes. Ducks dont care about the generator at all. We keep it 150 feet away across the levee, a 3500 KW generator will burn 5 gallons running 2 ice eaters in 7 hours so we hooked a 25 gallon tank to ours to keep from midnight runs to the hole filling the tank. Also if you put them in an already frozen pond or hole, they will open them up depending on thickness ours was 2 inches, in about 2 hours a hole big enough to attract ducks will open up. we use Kasco Brand ice eaters with the floaters where the ice eaters are paralell with the water, works AWSOME! Good Luck!
Kooterx
hunter

Postby golden6432 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:10 am

How long is the cord on that ice eater? Thanks for the info.
golden6432
hunter

Postby Kooterx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm

You can buy them with a 50' or 100', we then use 2 really good extension cords 150' long. works great!
Kooterx
hunter

Postby hannibal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm

They work for a number of different applications. We run two normally when things have started to freeze up. Leave them on until the end of the season (running off electric). We have also turned them off and then back on a again and they are powerful enough to put water on top of the ice so it does not take long to get water on top and break down the ice. Depends on how thick the ice is I guess but most of the time can clear a hole 40-60 yards long by 20-30 yards wide in an hour or two.

We like to let them run all the time to keep the birds around and using our place. It does make a difference for late season hunts. No matter how much water and food you have if the weather is bad you will still lose birds. Have to be smart about when and how often you hunt them at this time of year. Start at Noon and get out by 3pm. Let the birds rest in the morning and roost on you at night is our approach and it seems to work more often than not.

Good luck.
hannibal
hunter

Postby golden6432 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Cool thanks for the info.
golden6432
hunter

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Make one with a trolling motor, buy some long electric wires and you have a motion making machine, plus keep a small hole open.
Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Postby hunth2ofowl » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Trolling motor will not cut it. The Ice Eaters are like trolling motors on steroids.
hunth2ofowl
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:56 pm

we've used just your regular 2in water pump and it can keep a decent sized hole open
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby golden6432 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:15 pm

I have 2 Gas powered trash pumps that we use now. I am looking at maybe using a couple sump pumps and seeing how that works out. I just can't see spending that kind of money for an ice eater.
golden6432
hunter

Postby Boom-Boom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:51 pm

They work great! They give decoys great movement if you run it while hunting.
Boom-Boom
hunter

Postby hannibal » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm telling you.............spend the money. Worth their weight in gold.

You can fight and fight and fight it but you will give in some day. If you really want a serious hold with the best opportunities then you will be wise to heed my advice. Quit wasting your money on trolling motors, batteries and sump pumps and make the plunge now and you will be glad you did.

You can thank me later! :hammer:
hannibal
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting