Geese w/Mallards

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, 870shooter, KCDuckMaster, SPatrick

Geese w/Mallards

Postby DJH1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:20 pm

Anybody in Missouri use goose decoys with your mallard spread?

I was thinking about getting 3-4 snow goose floaters to put off to the side of my mallard spread. I've heard several people say this is very effective. Wonder if I should use canada geese or snow's? The public land I hunt usually holds A LOT of snow geese so I thought that may be the way to go.

Just wondering if anybody in this area has used this type of setup and how it worked. Thanks.
DJH1
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:07 pm

I usually put a half dozen Canada goose decoys to the side when hunting some private ponds, but I usually don't bother at the public spots. It has been my experience there are very few opportunities for shots at geese there.

IMO I wouldn't worry about snows unless you have had them get close... a lot of the public spots I go to have tons of snows, but even with a flock of dekes they probably wouldn't come close enough for a shot.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:59 pm

Up until last season I used 4 magnum floaters and a dozen shells of the side of my spread. I kept having ducks flair. After removing them, the ducks came right in. Last year was a weird year for me, so I plan on starting this season with some goose decoys out. If the ducks start flairing again, I'll ditch the goose dekes.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:40 pm

I've had that problem, but it hasn't seemed to happen after I moved my goose dekes farther away. A good 20 yards or more seems to have taken care of it.

But you are right, last year was a very strange year for me also..
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:22 pm

when the ducks start flairing cuz of goose decoys its because they r highly pressured. Geese and ducks feed and rest together all the time and many ducks, especially teal use geese as look outs. I use goose decoys all the time, mainly for visibility. Yes, I sometimes have to move them for pressured birds. This year i'm planning on hunting dry fields with my 200+ canada goose spread for ducks.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:57 am

i hunt open water off a point, i use about a dozen canadas floating close in kepping my puddlers mixed and run my divrs out about 30 yrds..... have had great success
lee

lakecontrary
idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting