Got a phone call today.....

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Re: Got a phone call today.....

Postby 2Longgone » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 pm

870shooter wrote:
drummo wrote:Hey 870 -

Have you heard any more about the meeting yet? When/where? Is it open to the public? Will the results be open to the public?

Inquiring minds want to know. :yes:

The meeting I am attending is at the Conservation Center in Cape Girardeau on Jan 22 at 6pm. I am supposed to recieve more details in the mail, I have not yet. I don't know if it is open to the public or not. I really don't know anything about it besides what I have just said. When and if my info arrives in the mail and it has anymore details I will be sure to share them.

Represent brother, and thanks in advance for the wisdom that you will share with the powers in charge.
2Longgone
hunter

Postby 2Longgone » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:46 pm

oktakem wrote:Wow, so guys from St. Louis or KC should pay for the areas, but not get to QD? That's ridiculous! If you or anyone else is serious about that then lets let each regions tax dollars go to that regions areas. Won't take long for GP and EB to go belly up with no crops and no pumps and broken levies because they don't have the tax dollars anymore! END QD! That's my input! :mad:

Let's add B.K. Leach, Columbia Bottoms, Marais Temps and Ted Shanks to the QD areas, more evenly distribute the masses.

I would like to hunt Ted Shanks, just really don't want to make that drive unless I have a guaranteed hunt.
2Longgone
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:56 pm

2Longgone wrote:Let's add B.K. Leach, Columbia Bottoms, Marais Temps and Ted Shanks to the QD areas, more evenly distribute the masses.

I would like to hunt Ted Shanks, just really don't want to make that drive unless I have a guaranteed hunt.

There ya go!! Best idea I've heard for the QD yet (besides eliminate it :wink: ). A rotating QD. This year EB, GP and OS. Next year make it all the St.Louis area CAs so us southern boys can have a chance for a guaranteed hunt up there. Then next year move it to 3 other areas. Yea, give everyone a chance to hunt everywhere and give some others a chance to hate it too.

If you can not detect the sarcasim in this post please remember, the best area for the QD is none!
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:35 pm

I agree the way they have it set up is not fair. I say either all the areas or none!!
BigAL64
hunter

Postby oktakem » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm with you 870. Just end it. Tried several times for GP and never got in. Hear about guys getting in multiple times in a season. Maybe they should implement the $5 fee again at areas with the quick draw. Heck make it $5/person to hunt. I don't put in for OS because the agent down there (Reaves?) makes it clear by his harrassment of St. Louis hunters that we aren't welcome down there. The area managers around here know it too. OS is a 2:30 minutes for me, GP is 3:45. I'll make the drive, but not to poor line. I can tell you that very very few hunters in this area want anything to do with quick draw. The way it seems now is that they have become a "local" hunting club. Not trying to wrankle anyones feathers but out of all they guys I hunt with we all say the same thing. If thats the way it's going then let each region, as I said before, keep the revenue they recieve in their regions for their own respective areas. We'll be just fine on this side of the state. Otherwise then lets just start selling these areas off and disband MDC! Or just make it all "open" hunting. No draw, nothing. Just like snow goose.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:08 am

Oktakem,I know several st.louis hunters that go to os and don't have any problems from the game warden.If your weren't doing anything wrong what are you worried about.As far as qd I don't like the the fact that people put in for days that they know they can't hunt.So if they get 1 they don't go.I personally don't mind qd because I get out and find other spots to hunt all of them are public hunting.So if I don't get 1 in a normal season(not a dry season) I still have 6 or 7 spots to hunt that give me a good opportunity at a good hunt.These spots are good at times and slow at other times.It just depends on the day.So I hope that qd stays.I hate to stand in a line for 1.5 hours and not get to hunt.I have better things to do with my time.
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 am

swampcrawler wrote:Oktakem,I know several st.louis hunters that go to os and don't have any problems from the game warden.If your weren't doing anything wrong what are you worried about.As far as qd I don't like the the fact that people put in for days that they know they can't hunt.So if they get 1 they don't go.I personally don't mind qd because I get out and find other spots to hunt all of them are public hunting.So if I don't get 1 in a normal season(not a dry season) I still have 6 or 7 spots to hunt that give me a good opportunity at a good hunt.These spots are good at times and slow at other times.It just depends on the day.So I hope that qd stays.I hate to stand in a line for 1.5 hours and not get to hunt.I have better things to do with my time.

POUND SAND SWAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :lol3:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby oktakem » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:26 am

Well one of the times we hunted and were in I think blind 1 or 2? never fired a shot. Other cars passed us leaving headquarters and he pulls us over and pulls everything out. Never said what he was looking for. I was with my brother, my son who was maybe 10 at the time and my dad who was near 80. The last time I was there we were accused of driving out into a muddy field. Didn't have 4wd at the time. Wasn't even possible. Same agent. I argued with him and he threatened to ticket or arrest me and my son. Looked through our layout blinds, dumped our shells out. Once again never fired a shot. Been several others with the same complaints about him at least. Was recently told that, and I don't know when, he walked into headquarters one morning with 2 two black eyes and a broken nose and the place erupted in laughter. Can't confirm that, but if it did happen I would have loved to have been there. Never had a ticket before. Never. He was given NO REASON WHATSOEVER to harrass us. Buddy of mine had permission for a few years to hunt Meinters? or Meiners? property accross the raod. Reaves harrassed him and gave him a ticket for tresspassing even though he had permission. Area managers around here know about the issues with this disgrace of an agent. Needs to be fired and if the staff at OS or any other area support this fool so should they.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Got a phone call today.....

Postby talltimber » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 am

oktakem wrote:I'm with you 870. Just end it. Tried several times for GP and never got in. Hear about guys getting in multiple times in a season. Maybe they should implement the $5 fee again at areas with the quick draw. Heck make it $5/person to hunt. I don't put in for OS because the agent down there (Reaves?) makes it clear by his harrassment of St. Louis hunters that we aren't welcome down there. The area managers around here know it too. OS is a 2:30 minutes for me, GP is 3:45. I'll make the drive, but not to poor line. I can tell you that very very few hunters in this area want anything to do with quick draw. The way it seems now is that they have become a "local" hunting club. Not trying to wrankle anyones feathers but out of all they guys I hunt with we all say the same thing. If thats the way it's going then let each region, as I said before, keep the revenue they recieve in their regions for their own respective areas. We'll be just fine on this side of the state. Otherwise then lets just start selling these areas off and disband MDC! Or just make it all "open" hunting. No draw, nothing. Just like snow goose.

The name you're trying to recall is reed. And it's not just St. Louis boys, he's an equal opportunity harasser.
talltimber
hunter

Postby oktakem » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:33 am

Here is an idea end QD and go back to the reservation system. Let everyone apply for every area up to two times. If drawn the first time the second is thrown out? Second round only comes from a pool that didn't get drawn the first time. One question is this meeting only about quick draw? If not would you bring up putting out one of their famous serveys to Mo. hunters about removing the Ill. guys from the blind draw? They send reminder cards to us so they can send us a survey card. I talked to Shawn after last draw and he said it would be considered....whatever!
oktakem
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:50 am

oktakem wrote:Here is an idea end QD and go back to the reservation system. Let everyone apply for every area up to two times. If drawn the first time the second is thrown out? Second round only comes from a pool that didn't get drawn the first time. One question is this meeting only about quick draw? If not would you bring up putting out one of their famous serveys to Mo. hunters about removing the Ill. guys from the blind draw? They send reminder cards to us so they can send us a survey card. I talked to Shawn after last draw and he said it would be considered....whatever!

Here's what I think is the best idea..... END ALL RESERVATIONS!!! If you want to hunt at a CA get up out of bed, make the drive and have the exact same chance as everyone else who was willing to do the same.
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby 2Longgone » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:59 am

870shooter wrote:
oktakem wrote:Here is an idea end QD and go back to the reservation system. Let everyone apply for every area up to two times. If drawn the first time the second is thrown out? Second round only comes from a pool that didn't get drawn the first time. One question is this meeting only about quick draw? If not would you bring up putting out one of their famous serveys to Mo. hunters about removing the Ill. guys from the blind draw? They send reminder cards to us so they can send us a survey card. I talked to Shawn after last draw and he said it would be considered....whatever!

Here's what I think is the best idea..... END ALL RESERVATIONS!!! If you want to hunt at a CA get up out of bed, make the drive and have the exact same chance as everyone else who was willing to do the same.

^^^
This is a great idea. Only fair way to handle it, everyone should have the same opportunity to draw for a blind when they actually show up to hunt.
2Longgone
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 am

swampcrawler wrote:Oktakem,I know several st.louis hunters that go to os and don't have any problems from the game warden.If your weren't doing anything wrong what are you worried about.As far as qd I don't like the the fact that people put in for days that they know they can't hunt.So if they get 1 they don't go.I personally don't mind qd because I get out and find other spots to hunt all of them are public hunting.So if I don't get 1 in a normal season(not a dry season) I still have 6 or 7 spots to hunt that give me a good opportunity at a good hunt.These spots are good at times and slow at other times.It just depends on the day.So I hope that qd stays.I hate to stand in a line for 1.5 hours and not get to hunt.I have better things to do with my time.

I put in for every day of the season, and will continue to do so, knowing that most of the time I can not go. I can only hunt on weekends and this year I didn't get many of them. I do it to help the people in the poor line. The ones willing to make an effort to get to hunt. To heck with the ones who depend on the QD.

I have personally heard you say how bad you hate the QD and now you hope it stays? :huh: If you have better things to do with your time than stand in line for an hour and a half and not get to hunt there is a real simple solution. DON'T GO, DUH!!! Go to one of your other spots. Wait till the next time it is a dry year and your other spots have no water AND you don't get drawn all year in the QD AND you don't get invited to go on anyone else's QD. Then how much will you like it?
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby BigMuddy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:46 am

oktakem --if there's someone out there that works for the state of Missouri and deals with the public in that manner as you say ----his day will come . I was once was hunting with a state rep and we had a little incident with a certain MDC agent at a state area ----he was never seen working there again .---- :biggrin: I also like the idea of just have all areas open ---but of course that would be , in their minds ,lack of control of the state run waterfowl areas by the MDC. You know we can't have that happen !--- :rolleyes:
Last edited by BigMuddy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 am

BigMuddy wrote:oktakem --if there's someone out there that works for the state of Missouri and deals with the public in that manner as you say ----his day will come . I was once was hunting with a state rep and we had a little incident with a certain MDC agent at a state area ----he was never seen working there again .---- :biggrin: I also like the idea of just have all areas open ---but of course that would be , in their minds ,lack of control of the state run waterfowl areas by the MDC. You know we can't have that happen

:clapping: Awesome :clapping:

It is a shame though that when something happens to a state rep there is immediate action but when it happens to the everday Joe it just continues. :mad:

In my opinion, to just open some of the CAs would do nothing but create an area of total mayhem and would lead to many more problems.
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby kdog » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Just an fyi guys .....Mark and all other agents can check you in the field looking for whatever .......to search your vehicle ,he needs authorization from you ,just like any police officer does ......And make him put back, what he threw out of your blind bag :welcome:
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:35 pm

kdog wrote:Just an fyi guys .....Mark and all other agents can check you in the field looking for whatever .......to search your vehicle ,he needs authorization from you ,just like any police officer does ......And make him put back, what he threw out of your blind bag :welcome:

True so true. And contrary to the popular urban legend, a game warden can NOT come into your home and check your freezer without your permission OR a search warrant.
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby oktakem » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm not saying I'm against getting checked. James from St. Charles County has always been cordial and is considerate. Heck if you bring up college footbal you will have a friend for life in him. Just because you have a badge and a gun doesn't give anyone a right to harass anyone. When he pulled the stuff out of my truck I asked if he found what he was looking for. He shrugged his shoulders gave a smart alec grin and jumped in his truck and left. Never put anything back. in all honesty he never seemed to be "looking" for anything at all. Was that necessary at all? When he accused us of driving into the field I pointed out there was NO MUD ON MY TIRES only gravel. He said those were my tracks which he knew they weren't. When he dumped our shells and bags out in our blinds did he put them back? Nope. was only to harass us. Too late now to complain. Guys like Reed give the rest of the agents a bad name and make their job even harder. Both times my son was with us, left a bad taste in his mouth. I have nothing but respect for law enforcement. I will do what is necessary to help them do their job and make it a good experience. They are, for the most part, a good ally. I would expect the same in my line of work as an electrician. Never thought of letting a state rep know. I only know one and he lost in Nov. Sorry for being so long winded gentlemen. Have a great day and God bless.
oktakem
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I hunted os 5 times this year,same as last year.I just didn't have my MAIN SPOTS TO HUNT.I don't like to stand in line and draw a pill to let me hunt. If I get up and drive somewhere to hunt I want to hunt.Not stand around waiting to find out if I can hunt.You all may like drawing a pill out of a box and be told that you can hunt.I RESPECT your opinion,but I generally try to avoid poorlines because for 1 reason my luck sucks.I can/do kill just as many ducks not hunting os or any poorline areas as i do in the"duck parks".I have to work harder to do it.I'VE limited out quicker in spots that aren't mdc top duck parks then i've ever done at os/dc or tmp.That is why I don't mind qd.I put out more effort to hunt the spots that I do then anyone that hunts a draw area.Standing in a line is not work it's bs .If that is what you like to do ,thats great.But I bet for the most of you hunting a spot where the ducks actually don't flare when a shot rings out a mile away is unheard of.OR hunting a spot that only you hunt and has plenty of ducks on it is unbelievable that it is open to the public.I hope you all keep going to the duck parks and IF qd continues you will see me at times.If it doesn't good luck to you all waiting to get that majic pill saying you can hunt.I'LL BE HUNTING SOMEWHERE ON THE X hopefully if we get rain next year.That is why I don't mind qd.
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 pm

swampcrawler wrote:I hunted os 5 times this year,same as last year.I just didn't have my MAIN SPOTS TO HUNT.I don't like to stand in line and draw a pill to let me hunt. If I get up and drive somewhere to hunt I want to hunt.Not stand around waiting to find out if I can hunt.You all may like drawing a pill out of a box and be told that you can hunt.I RESPECT your opinion,but I generally try to avoid poorlines because for 1 reason my luck sucks.I can/do kill just as many ducks not hunting os or any poorline areas as i do in the"duck parks".I have to work harder to do it.I'VE limited out quicker in spots that aren't mdc top duck parks then i've ever done at os/dc or tmp.That is why I don't mind qd.I put out more effort to hunt the spots that I do then anyone that hunts a draw area.Standing in a line is not work it's bs .If that is what you like to do ,thats great.But I bet for the most of you hunting a spot where the ducks actually don't flare when a shot rings out a mile away is unheard of.OR hunting a spot that only you hunt and has plenty of ducks on it is unbelievable that it is open to the public.I hope you all keep going to the duck parks and IF qd continues you will see me at times.If it doesn't good luck to you all waiting to get that majic pill saying you can hunt.I'LL BE HUNTING SOMEWHERE ON THE X hopefully if we get rain next year.That is why I don't mind qd.

No patting yourself on the back smiley so we will use - :clapping:

:lol3: Just kidding Pat, you do know that less than a month ago I heard you complain about it as much as anyone but everyone has the right to change thier mind.
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby swampcrawler » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:12 pm

I was complaining about everything then.Just ask denise.It was not a good month at all. :no:
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:43 pm

swampcrawler wrote:I was complaining about everything then.Just ask denise.It was not a good month at all. :no:

I agree!! He was worse than any woman i hav e ever been around!!! :hammer: :help: :lol3: :lol3:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 am

BigAL64 wrote:
swampcrawler wrote:I was complaining about everything then.Just ask denise.It was not a good month at all. :no:

I agree!! He was worse than any woman i hav e ever been around!!! :hammer: :help: :lol3: :lol3:

At least my wife doesn't tell me when i can go hunting.Unlike someone I know(AL).Welp time to go and hunt some ducks.Goodluck to anyone whose wife still lets them go.
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 pm

swampcrawler wrote:
BigAL64 wrote:

At least my wife doesn't tell me when i can go hunting.Unlike someone I know(AL).Welp time to go and hunt some ducks.Goodluck to anyone whose wife still lets them go.

I don't know who you are talking about. Me I go when I want to!! Would have been down there now but have to work tomorrow. Some of us do work for a living and don't let our wives support us!! :hammer: :hammer: :hi: :lol3:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 pm

BigAL64 wrote:
swampcrawler wrote:
BigAL64 wrote:

I don't know who you are talking about. Me I go when I want to!! Would have been down there now but have to work tomorrow. Some of us do work for a living and don't let our wives support us!! :hammer: :hammer: :hi: :lol3:

:eek:
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting