Duck Hunting Forum banner

Got a phone call today.....

5K views 77 replies 18 participants last post by  drummo 
#1 ·
From the MDC's Shawn Gruber asking if I was still interested in attending the Quick Draw Focus Group meeting in January.

:yes: :yes: :yes: Of course I said "Heck YES!!". :yes: :yes: :yes:

:eek: Do you think they realize what they are in for? :eek:

From me it will be a whole lot of :crying: and a little :fingerhead: with some :mad: thrown in but absolutly no :thumbsup: for it at all.

#3 ·
I'm sure I am not the only one that has this issue but if you wouldn't mind relaying the following message on my behalf. It has been three years of QD and I have secured a pill 0 times out of ?? ( I stopped counting). Even more depressing is my poor line draw stats. Now I see guys on this forum that get drawn 2, 3, 4 times. The guys that get pulled multiple times are doing nothing wrong and are lucky S.O.B.'s and I believe the computerized simple random number sample needs a change. This was brought up here on the forum before and it is really the one explanation I have for my lack of success.

It just sucks that most times I hunt duck, it is me and my buddy or just myself walking in. This system is not at all set up to allow for the solo hunter or a pair of hunters. I understand the importance of getting more people in the field and I could do a MUCH better job of asking for guys on the forum or in the poor line to come hunt with me to gain more "friends." With more people putting in for a QD I guess I could level the odds a bit against the rest of the state and join in on what everyone else is doing. (I noticed this BIG time at the Blind draws this year in St. Charles, ladies clearly not hunters at all and only put their name in on the groups behalf. I guess I am just slow to adapt) Thats on me not QD.

But man, each Monday and Thursday at 8:00 i watch my email, hitting refresh waiting for that first and maybe only mdc email stating I received a pill. Kinda sad, but oh well. Life of the poor duck hunter, picking up leftover public spots throughout the state.

Sorry for this post being so long and whining but just thought I would get this off my chest and vent a tad

#4 ·
knockemdeadd said:
Is it gonna be down there, or up here, somewhere?
The way I understand it there are going to be several meetings. One in Cape Girardeau, one in Columbia, one in St. Louis and one more somewhere else, I'm not sure where.

And don't worry Matt, your message is just the tip of the iceberg in concerns I hope I get to express.

#8 ·
matt9966 said:
Thanks 870 for this and everything else you do!

Are these meeting open to the public or by invite only? I would love to go and be a number to back up all that will be said.
Ditto. Thanks to 870 for serving. And please help yourself to any of my rants on here in the past as you are compiling info for the meetings. :biggrin:

Apparently I didn't get selected - but I'd love to attend if the meetings are OPEN... as government meetings OUGHT TO BE!!! :yes:

#10 ·
matt9966 said:
I'm sure I am not the only one that has this issue but if you wouldn't mind relaying the following message on my behalf. It has been three years of QD and I have secured a pill 0 times out of ?? ( I stopped counting). Even more depressing is my poor line draw stats. Now I see guys on this forum that get drawn 2, 3, 4 times. The guys that get pulled multiple times are doing nothing wrong and are lucky S.O.B.'s and I believe the computerized simple random number sample needs a change. This was brought up here on the forum before and it is really the one explanation I have for my lack of success.

It just sucks that most times I hunt duck, it is me and my buddy or just myself walking in. This system is not at all set up to allow for the solo hunter or a pair of hunters. I understand the importance of getting more people in the field and I could do a MUCH better job of asking for guys on the forum or in the poor line to come hunt with me to gain more "friends." With more people putting in for a QD I guess I could level the odds a bit against the rest of the state and join in on what everyone else is doing. (I noticed this BIG time at the Blind draws this year in St. Charles, ladies clearly not hunters at all and only put their name in on the groups behalf. I guess I am just slow to adapt) Thats on me not QD.

But man, each Monday and Thursday at 8:00 i watch my email, hitting refresh waiting for that first and maybe only mdc email stating I received a pill. Kinda sad, but oh well. Life of the poor duck hunter, picking up leftover public spots throughout the state.

Sorry for this post being so long and whining but just thought I would get this off my chest and vent a tad
This is totally wrong. Which is a reason that AI think there should be a penalty for drawing or pulling QD,getting managed hunts, etc. and not hunting! Would also eliminate the people who show up for poor line with wife and grandma, who will pull numbers and then go home.

#14 ·
kdog said:
Is this a " make you feel warm and fuzzy" meeting where they take your opinion and make it worse ??????? or do what they want meeting ?
Kinda hard to say before the meeting has taken place isn't it? :huh: Was described as "A Quick Draw Focus Group to help and gather more hunter's opinions and input on the QD."

To be honest I expect it to be a "See we listened to the public" meeting while they still do whatever they choose to do.

#15 ·
870shooter said:
kdog said:
Is this a " make you feel warm and fuzzy" meeting where they take your opinion and make it worse ??????? or do what they want meeting ?
Kinda hard to say before the meeting has taken place isn't it? :huh: Was described as "A Quick Draw Focus Group to help and gather more hunter's opinions and input on the QD."

To be honest I expect it to be a "See we listened to the public" meeting while they still do whatever they choose to do.
I think you're right.

But I also think they are trying to be careful to get the input they "want" by selecting those who will participate. You may be the token "hate it" guy... but they will swamp you with 5 "love it" guys and then say...

See, we listened... and you LOVE it!

#16 ·
They may/do hate me because the truth hurts ......and most feel the same about qd (it sucks )...they took the disapproval stats down ,so they can tell us what they want us to hear !!!

#18 ·
Hey 870 -

Have you heard any more about the meeting yet? When/where? Is it open to the public? Will the results be open to the public?

Inquiring minds want to know. :yes:

#19 ·
knockemdeadd said:
DroppnDrakes said:
Propose that qd applicants must live within and 80 mile radius of the park. St Louis and kc drawing for gp and eb Are you fu king kidding me!?
why? because the money to acquire/run these places comes from an 80 mile radius? are YOU kidding me? :huh:
Really!!!! Thats the whole idea of the system is to save us poor STL guys the gas money of driving down and not getting in!!! :fingerhead: :no: :thumbsup:

#20 ·
BigAL64 said:
knockemdeadd said:
DroppnDrakes said:
Propose that qd applicants must live within and 80 mile radius of the park. St Louis and kc drawing for gp and eb Are you fu king kidding me!?
why? because the money to acquire/run these places comes from an 80 mile radius? are YOU kidding me? :huh:
Really!!!! Thats the whole idea of the system is to save us poor STL guys the gas money of driving down and not getting in!!! :fingerhead: :no: :thumbsup:
:yes: :yes: :yes: :clapping: :clapping: :grooving: :bow: :hi:

#21 ·
BigAL64 said:
knockemdeadd said:
DroppnDrakes said:
Really!!!! Thats the whole idea of the system is to save us poor STL guys our precious beauty rest instead of driving down and not getting in!!! :fingerhead: :no: :thumbsup:
FIFY. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#23 ·
drummo said:
Hey 870 -

Have you heard any more about the meeting yet? When/where? Is it open to the public? Will the results be open to the public?

The meeting I am attending is at the Conservation Center in Cape Girardeau on Jan 22 at 6pm. I am supposed to recieve more details in the mail, I have not yet. I don't know if it is open to the public or not. I really don't know anything about it besides what I have just said. When and if my info arrives in the mail and it has anymore details I will be sure to share them.

#24 ·
Wow, so guys from St. Louis or KC should pay for the areas, but not get to QD? That's ridiculous! If you or anyone else is serious about that then lets let each regions tax dollars go to that regions areas. Won't take long for GP and EB to go belly up with no crops and no pumps and broken levies because they don't have the tax dollars anymore! END QD! That's my input! :mad:

#25 ·
870shooter said:
The meeting I am attending is at the Conservation Center in Cape Girardeau on Jan 22 at 6pm. I am supposed to recieve more details in the mail, I have not yet. I don't know if it is open to the public ...
who cares ...lets all show up ...public dept ...should be public meeting

#26 ·
870shooter said:
drummo said:
Hey 870 -

The meeting I am attending is at the Conservation Center in Cape Girardeau on Jan 22 at 6pm. I am supposed to recieve more details in the mail, I have not yet. I don't know if it is open to the public or not. I really don't know anything about it besides what I have just said. When and if my info arrives in the mail and it has anymore details I will be sure to share them.
Represent brother, and thanks in advance for the wisdom that you will share with the powers in charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.