Southern Zone

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Southern Zone

Postby bdub20 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:12 pm

I have been hunting some spots in the southern zone and been seeing birds, especially that some of the ponds are freezing over. This is my first year duck hunting so i'm sorry for the newb question. But I'm wondering if there will be birds around through the rest of the hunting season up till January 20. Will the birds be all gone by then or do birds typically stay around or will they still be migrating through.
bdub20
hunter

Re: Southern Zone

Postby therewillbeblood » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 pm

im from mn but i think i can answer your question. as long as there is open water and food there will be ducks. there are still a few ducks in mn and its been below zero!

im actually coming down to hunt the south zone this coming week. im going to be staying in the springfield area. will be my first time hunting MO but i have been hunting ducks up here my whole life.
duck hunting > everything
therewillbeblood
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:08 pm

bdub20,
Yes we keep ducks to the end of the season and ever after it closes you will still see ducks. The biggest problem we have is the drought has the ponds so low and they are all frozen. I suggest that you hunt a creek, river or a lake. Where are you at and I can try to offer a suggestion or two? I am in Marshfield just outside of Springfield.

therewillbeblood,
I saw that you are headed to hunt Stockton. Are you going on Sons creek or Turnback? The lake is really low and starting to feeze in the shallows. The divers working the points fairly well this time of the year and rafting in the middle. Don't ingore them or they will fly by before you know it! The mallards are spotty right now but, gadwall are everywhere in the lakes and rivers. There are also a few GWT around. Lesser canadas are also making the first wave or two around here. Stockton also has a lot of resident greaters in the 10 to 13 pound range and they make a hell of a splash from 30 feet up!!! If you don't have any luck at Stockton, Table Rock can be good at times and this happens to be a good time from what some of my friends are saying, but I haven't been there this year to say for sure! Good luck and don't shoot 'em all. We still have three weeks left and I need a few more birds to get me through the summer!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby duckwagon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 pm

well it ended and It never really started
duckwagon
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 pm

I don't know where you hunt but the south zone was pretty good this year.Especially since we didn't get a big freeze up like we normally do.
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:03 pm

It wasn't that great for us. Some shooting around us occasionally though. We had a much better season last year.
talltimber
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:53 pm

I usually hunt in the mid-zone, but hunted Stockton backwaters and limited out on gadwalls on Saturday. Anybody else do any good?
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting