Help. New Missouri duck hunter.

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Help. New Missouri duck hunter.

Postby Duck_Duck_Goose » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:37 am

Hi, I've just been recently introduced into duck hunting, and I'm hooked. I did all my hunting more south Missouri on Stockton lake. I was curious to see if anyone knew of some good spots around central Missouri that had a good duck population. Also if anyone could give me any information on rules about hunting rivers. Any information will be appreciated, thanks!
Duck_Duck_Goose
Newb

Re: Help. New Missouri duck hunter.

Postby swampcrawler » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:29 am

My suggestion is since the seasons over in the cental part of missouri.contact the mdc regional office in the area you want to hunt.Find some likely areas and fill your truck up and scout them out.You've got almost a year so you should be able to get some spots lined out.Nobody is going to put you on the X you need to help youself first.
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby mjcraig15 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 am

Get on the conservation atlas on http://mdc.mo.gov and start researching some spots like swamp said. Talk to the agents for the counties you want to go. The numbers for the agents can be found on the above site also. Talk to the Biologists at the areas. Then go out and scout the areas.

Since you are new, you might not know exactly what to look for when scouting. Research the different types of foods that the ducks like to eat, time of year they like it (warm weather v.s. Cold weather.... Moist Soil v.s. Agri crops). I suggest you get to know some of the guys on here. Try to join up with them. Take them scouting with you. Buy them a case of beer, etc...... I have met several friends on here and been to spots I have never been before with them. Lots of knowledge to be gained from folks on here. Most will not post it up for everyone to see, but many of them are willing to help a guy out as long as he doesn't turn around and give that info up to everyone else.

Best way to learn is through trial and error and joining up with a more experienced hunter(s). Send a PM to some guys on here, and they may help point you in the right direction.
mjcraig15
hunter

Postby KSRedleg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:41 pm

These guys are leading you astray. The way to do it is to take your money and pay a professional to show you the ropes. Same way some of us learned about women. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll learn quicker. Good luck and carry on. :tongue:

:beer: :beer: :beer:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby mjcraig15 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 pm

KSRedleg wrote:These guys are leading you astray. The way to do it is to take your money and pay a professional to show you the ropes. Same way some of us learned about women. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll learn quicker. Good luck and carry on. :tongue:

Some of us may not have had to pay women, we were just that good. :lol3: Just Kidding.
mjcraig15
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:47 pm

mjcraig15 wrote:
KSRedleg wrote:These guys are leading you astray. The way to do it is to take your money and pay a professional to show you the ropes. Same way some of us learned about women. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll learn quicker. Good luck and carry on. :tongue:

Some of us may not have had to pay women, we were just that good. :lol3: Just Kidding.

THIS!!!!!
A FEW years ago they payed me!!!! :yes: :grooving: :beer:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby Duck_Duck_Goose » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks guys, means a lot!
Duck_Duck_Goose
Newb

Postby KSRedleg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 am

BigAL64 wrote:THIS!!!!!
A FEW years ago they payed me!!!! :yes: :grooving: :beer:

Just knew I was in the presence of greatness. :bow: :bow: :bow:

So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby KSRedleg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:53 am

Duck_Duck_Goose wrote:Thanks guys, means a lot!

Seriously, your best bet would be to start with the MDC. Their website has some information. Look up a conservation officer and talk with him. Most of them are more than willing to answer questions and point you in the right direction.

Good luck. :beer:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Let me guess ksredleg you are an outfitter.I personally wouldn't pay an outfitter to show me jack squat.I learn by my mistakes alot better then if some so called professional is holding my hand.I HAVE ONLY BEEN DUCK HUNTING for 5 years and in each of those 5 years I've killed between 50 and 90 ducks .That is in 15 to 24 trips each season.Everyone of those ducks were taken on public ground.Not a club where some "professional" is helping me shoot my limit along with everybody elses so he can get a bigger tip.My suggestion is this duck-duck-goose find a friend on here or where ever that will take you out and take his time and show you the ropes.Because after he's helped you get started he will have a true hunting partner that hunts like he does and thinks like he does.In the end you both will benefit and it makes it more enjoyable and less work on you both.And duckhunting is alot of hard work when done correctly.I hope you find someone to teach you like I did.If you want i'll take you next year if you come down to semo. GOODLUCK. DUCK-DUCK-GOOSE
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby 2Longgone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Just a pact. This type of information is confidential and will not be shared publicly over the internet. :beer:
2Longgone
hunter

Postby KSRedleg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:58 pm

swampcrawler wrote:Let me guess ksredleg you are an outfitter.

Only of women of low moral character. In some circles I'd be called a pimp, but outfitter will do if you'd like. If you need some help in that area please contact me, obviously you're an old hand with the ducks and don't need any help there. :hi:

:beer:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 pm

KSRedleg wrote:
swampcrawler wrote:Let me guess ksredleg you are an outfitter.

Only of women of low moral character. In some circles I'd be called a pimp, but outfitter will do if you'd like. If you need some help in that area please contact me, obviously you're an old hand with the ducks and don't need any help there. :hi:

:beer:

No i try to learn something everytime out hunting.Whether it's ducks,turkey,deer or whatever .I try to watch not only the guys I am hunting with but also the parties near me.If they are getting the birds to work better then we are,I want to know how or what we are doing wrong.I also listen to their calling .If they call much or not very much.If the birds are flaring at us and not them and they don't have a mojo .I will take it down.It all helps me and my partners to have a better day a field.Like I stated earlier I was lucky to have agood friend thats been duck hunting his whole life take the time to teach me the right way to consistantly hunt ducks.As far as women of low moral character they need lovin too.But my wife wouldn't like me much if I was the one givin them the lovin. :hi: :lol3: :beer:
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Duck_Duck_Goose,
Sorry to hear about your new addiction! (LOL) Just kidding. Everyone on this forum went on a first duck hunt at some time in their life. I suggest that you start by knocking on doors in late summer close to where you live. The outdoor channel has made deer hunting an obsesion for most hunters so you won't find it as hard to get a duck spot as it is a deer spot. Having said that, good duck spots are mostly taken already. Trial by fire is the best way to learn. Pick up as many tricks and tips as you can on here and go have fun. I do my initial scouting by using Google Earth, MDC, and the County Assesors maps. Find some ponds and rivers in your area, knock on doors, knock on doors, and knock on doors. You cannot have enough ponds to hunt because you burn them out fast if you hunt them too much. There are a lot of ducks/geese in Jeff City area and you will find someone to hunt with if you keep your eyes and ears open. I am way down in SWMO and only know a few other duck hunters and have met a few folks on the forum fairly close by. Most of the guys on here are pretty decent folks and will help you out. But, you gotta have thick skin because there is also a lot of good ribbing around here too! A good way to learn is to invite someone that duck hunts to duck hunt with you on one of the properties that you get permission to hunt in exchange for mentoring you on what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. Good luck!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting