bald eagles

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

bald eagles

Postby duckwagon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:24 am

Had a bald eagel chase a group of birds from our spread an have them hanging out around us all the time wondering how much this impacts ducks in the area whats your opinion
duckwagon
hunter

Re: bald eagles

Postby 870shooter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 am

They can be great for getting ducks up off the refuge in the CAs.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby satguy1963 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Have to agree they have put ducks in my boat on many occasions. :thumbsup:
satguy1963
hunter

Postby Cliner » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 pm

See em all the time. I don't think the ducks think too much of them, we seemed to do just fine when they were around. The only time I've ever seen an eagle get a bird was when it was a dead snow goose on an iced over pond. It dropped right down and snagged it. Pretty crazy
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:36 pm

This fall we had a couple of immature eagles harass and chase a lone snow goose in the skys around our blind for about 10 minutes. The goose sure got a workout and was plum tuckered out. As soon as the goose appeared to be easy pickings, the eagles just let it fly off. My guess is that they were having fun and didn't intend to capture it.

Had an eagle take off with one of our decoys several years ago, he made it about a hundred yards before he dropped it. That may also explain a decoy I saw tangled up in a cotton wood around 30 feet up a few years before that, or maybe a tornado.

Had eagles and a red tailed hawk around our blind for most of the season, didn't seem to effect the ducks much at all.

Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby duckwagon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:28 am

A few years ago I had an eagle chasing and pounding a snow into the ice till he seen our hole open with decks and dove into them and the eagle took off quite a site but the last few weeks we have had 4 to 8 eagles soaring around us all the time seems like their getting thick in swmo
duckwagon
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

I have seen more eagles this year than ever. I don't think ducks/geese like eagles, but I don't think it bothers them enough to impact your hunting...

Sprigs68,
I though I was the only one to ever have that happen!!! I had an eagle snatch a decoy on a lake hunt tree years ago! It dropped the deke about 30 yards away!

I did lose a snow goose about 8 or 9 years ago when I used to go to the bootheel for snows. We jump shot a flock and had about 30 birds down with half of them as cripples we had to chase down. An eagle dropped in for an easy pick and flew off with it.
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting