Rate this year Missouri

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Rate this year Missouri

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:52 pm

I will start the end of year ratings for the Southwest part of the state for ducks...

The year stared off fast with ducks that came and went due to the low water. River hunting was hard around here because the water was so low. The local ponds that I usually get tons of birds were terrible by about three weeks into the season. The birds left as fast as they came. However, I landed two new ponds and a creek on private property.

Last half of duck season was a total bust for me. I skunked out from late December on. I only saw a few high flying migrators. Overall, I shot as many ducks as the previous two years combined, so I have to say the season was an improvement over the last two horrible years!

Goose season has been completely worthless this year around Marshfield. There is a little time left, but it looks like I will only get a couple more hunts in. There has only been one real push of lessers and they left two days after getting here because of the freeze. However, it is hard to complain when you get your second band in 15 years of hunting. But, I can't eat bands, so overall the goose season has been the worst I have ever had. The drought left little to no food and the freeze just moved the birds south.

Ducks Unlimited hit this season's predictions for success on the mark. They said birds would be scarce for most hunters due to low water and little food but, hunters fortunate enough to have both would have the best season of their life.

How did everyone else do?
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Re: Rate this year Missouri

Postby Cut'm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 pm

We have more ducks on our marsh in central mo right now than we did all season. Not being able to hunt through January sucks.
Cut'm
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:06 pm

If you're season ended two weeks before it does, you'd be seeing ducks two weeks earlier than you are now. Amazing how a week or two of not getting shot at will change their patterns.
We had a little food and water, not many ducks and not much traffic. Not as good of a season as last year.
talltimber
hunter

Postby rntmvp6 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:35 am

This has been the worst season for me since it all began 14 years ago, although I didnt hunt near as much as I typically do. The previous two seasons were much more of a success for me if by success we mean killing ducks. Most of my days were spent under cloudy no wind conditions. The ducks acted strange most of the season with lots of circling and then just leaving for no apparent reason and not working the call like they typically do. With the low water levels getting into the spots was a real pain even with mud boats and battling the knee deep mud was another problem. The places I hunt in SWMO had little food due to the low water levels which made it easy to push the ducks out quick. Until next year which I cant wait for already!! Now its time to start fishing and get ready for big longbeards.
rntmvp6
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 am

I didn't get to hunt as much due to the drought.But when I did go we had plenty of action.There was a couple days that were slow,but that happens on the best of seasons.My shooting was my biggest problem this year.There was 3 trips that i should of had limits but brought home 1 to 3 ducks.But I consider it a good season because I got to hunt,had a good time,and nobody got hurt. :thumbsup:
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 am

-- First 30 days as an A. Consistent good hunts with two very fine cold fronts.
-- Next 15 days following as a C. No really good cold fronts and very wise ducks.
-- Last 15 days as a B+. Sparatic good hunts with a couple of those long drawn out trickle days where you end up with limits or close to it.

So overall I would rate my season as an A. Got in the field quite a bit with my boys & buds, was able to assist in the breaking-in of two fine young labs, and was also able to get a young man (a 12 year old art student of my wife) addicted/hooked for life on duckhunting.

The goose season has blown so far, but my youngest just texted me a pic of his morning hunt with limits of (4) Specklebellies, one of them banded. That has just made his and my season a little sweeter.

Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby bps_12 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am

Quantity of ducks harvested was well below par. However the quality was exceptional. Shot more pintails than I ever have in 16 years of hunting and killed my first black duck on the Mighty Mississippi. I was able to hunt with some good friends and even some of the days we didn't shoot a thing, are rememberable because of who your company was.
Lack of rain/water/dihydrogen oxide/precipitation of any sort hurt my spots (and most everybody) the most. It could always be worse though...Here's to next season. :beer:
bps_12
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:47 pm

The early part and later part of the middle zone were the best for me. I too got permission to hunt a couple of ponds and hunted a couple of rivers during the last few days and it paid off . Overall below par ,but still a learning experiance for me here in Mexico , MO. I'm sure next year sucess will improve for all my hunting including waterfowling,turkey, upland and deer. Just takes a little effort,money , time , scouting , asking permission, walking and driving and looking for good hunting areas . It pays off in the end ! Any help I get online is a bonus for me because allmost all my networking in this area are nill--besides you all--- :thumbsup:

Big Muddy
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Had one of my best seasons. My private spot was dry, which pushed us to the conservation areas more than I would normally hunt. Had some good luck drawing pills and did pretty well. I got to know some of the CA's better for the future. Found some private ground on the river that we will be building a blind on for next season. Shot more ducks than ever. I learned a ton this year about public ground and how birds work (or don't really work for that matter). Even at the duck parks, it's not as easy as having some unpressured private ground where birds respond well to calls. I can't wait to work birds on the river next year. Goose season has been a complete bust besides a couple of bands. Haven't ever had this much trouble working geese. Weird, but good year. Already depressed about the off-season, but there's lots of work to be done. :beer:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:30 am

23rd season and it was by far my worst duck season!! Thought last year was bad Man i was wrong We only killed about 125 ducks this year way down!!! Goose season this year will go down as our 2nd worst year ever Last year was the worse we only killed 3 and that was during the early season Sitting on about 35 right now 4 Years ago we killed 120 geese!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 am

I know I'm new to the forum. But I had a pretty good year, all in all. Hunted mostly public land, but managed to average 3.28 birds per hunt for myself and 5.14 birds per hunt in total. Obviously there were better days and a couple days I got skunked. But I'll take a season average of 3.28 hunting mostly public water. For me though, a large amount of those were GWT at the beginning of the season. They stuck around for quite a while this year.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 am

Well there was some very stale duck days but hundreds fell victum to me. All in all a little below average except for the bands they came consistantly all season long. 4 non-local bands and a couple of odd species that got sent to the taxidermist. I cant say it was a bad year at all.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby KSRedleg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm

MOduckMOfun wrote:I know I'm new to the forum. But I had a pretty good year, all in all. Hunted mostly public land, but managed to average 3.28 birds per hunt for myself and 5.14 birds per hunt in total. Obviously there were better days and a couple days I got skunked. But I'll take a season average of 3.28 hunting mostly public water. For me though, a large amount of those were GWT at the beginning of the season. They stuck around for quite a while this year.

Using the information provided.....Depending on how you rounded up......Divide by Pi.....Multiply by the air speed of an African Swallow..... I'll guess that you killed 82 birds this season. :tongue:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby Cliner » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Oh, I'll go ahead and add that I never got drawn for a QD this year...again....for the 3rd year in a row :no:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby learn2hide » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 am

Year was very productive for me on private and public land...my best yearly kill total. I had plenty of days where I shot well and a few where I couldn't hit a damn thing. Hate it when that happens. Like most have said early season was very consistent, later in the year we got a lot of stale ducks but were still able to shoot our share. Also got my first ever goose band even though I only shot a few geese total. Getting snows, specks, and canadas was a bonus but still not a lot of geese around. Unfortunately had to miss the QD focus group due to a work committment that came up at the last minute. Ready for next year already!!!
death and judgement provided at no charge to all incoming waterfowl
learn2hide
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 am

Killed enough to keep the dog happy. I don't keep numbers. The day i have to keep count of numbers to rate a season i know it's over. Got slapped a couple times but other than that birds died on hunts. Put a ton of miles on finding them but it was fun enough i'll do it again next year
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Postby greenheadsmoker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 am

Fair duck season and fair goose season all things considered
greenheadsmoker
hunter

Postby knockemdeadd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 am

About the same as last year, duck-wise. A little better this year on geese. Like others have said, I dont judge a season on birds killed, spent a lot of great days in the pit. Thats a success to me! :beer:
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby cwilson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:16 pm

This season was a mix of highs & lows. Our north zone hunting was pretty crappy. We only had 3 good hunts & they were our 1st 3 outings. However, this year my south zone hunting was better than I could have imagined. We hit it hard & found some birds and really cleaned up & had a lot of fun. Blade has really come a long way in his 2nd year & it was such a blast seeing him in action as a more mature & seasoned hunter. He made some really awesome retrieves & I just love getting to spend time in the blind with him. Every now & then I spend some time with Willie & that's ok too.
cwilson
hunter

Postby oktakem » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Worse than last year. 2010/11 was one of the best we've had in years. Last year was bad but we killed plenty of divers and canvasbacks. Never fired at one can this year. Heck only saw 2 flocks of them. Divers were bad. Goose picked up the last week. Even killed a speck last Sunday to add to our bag. Already bummed that I unloaded the decoys out of the boat. Seems like I just got them down! The older I get the faster the season seems to go by.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby CuivreDog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Overall a solid B.

Great endings with awesome hunts to close out both our north and south zone seasons. Lots of birds VERY willing to work and finish.

Spent a lot of time in the blind/pit with a lot of old friends as well as making a lot of new friends as well. Spent over 75 days hunting ducks this year so I had a blast.

Killed my 1st black duck in 40 years of waterfowl hunting in Missouri so that was icing on the cake. Prior to last week I had never killed a black duck nor even been in the blind when a black duck was killed. I killed mine two weeks ago and one of the guys I was hunting with last Saturday also got his first ever so that was two in less than a week! :thumbsup:
Brett
CuivreDog
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 pm

This year......

The drought :sad: :no:

The Quick Draw :sad: :no:

Too much work and not much time off to hunt :sad: :no:

Hunted three times (gun malfunction ended one hunt early)..... Killed two ducks. :fingerhead:

Hope next year is better, don't think it could get worse.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby swampchicken » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 pm

congrats on the black duck brett getting one in missouri does not come often
swampchicken
hunter

Postby FLASH64 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 pm

BEST YEAR EVER
NOT NECESSARILY BECAUSE OF HIGH DUCK NUMBERS BUT BECAUSE I GOT TOO HUNT TWICE AS MUCH AS I USUALLY DO
I KILLED MORE DUCKS THAN MY 19YR OLD SON AND THATS SAYING ALOT BECAUSE HE HUNTS ALL OVER MISSOURI AND ARKANSAS AND KILLS ALOT A DUCKS .BUT HE ACCUTALLY PUT AS MUCH EFFORT IN SCHOOL AS DUCKS THIS YEAR OTHERWISE I WOULD NEVER HAD A CHANCE AT BEATING HIM . HUNTED 21 DAYS THIS YEAR. REALLY STARTING TO ENVY GUYS WHO CAN HUNT EVERY DAY
FLASH64
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 am

It kind of seems like location was key for everyone. Just a few more days for geese, but there are no migrating geese in Marshfield area right now, but there are a few local WELL EDUCATED geese left around... It is almost time for coyotes, but I gotta try for a few more geese!!! Good luck to everyone for the other hunting until next year!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Next

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting