New duck/goose hunter.

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

New duck/goose hunter.

Postby mdh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 am

Hey guys, my names Mike... I live just south of Kansas City. I've grown up with a fishing pole or a rifle in my hand, but never tried my hand at waterfowl hunting until this season. Me and my good friend started this year, we started real late though and out of a couple trips only managed to get one green winged teal, but we are hooked!! We both have never been, and one day just bought our tags and grabbed our shotguns and headed out to a CA close by. Haha no know how or anything. Since then, it's all we talk about. We're always discussing what gear we need, what calls, decoys, places to go, and it's really fun, but I feel we're just shooting ourselves in the foot here without some guidance. Anyways, I just wanted to say hi to y'all, and hopefully I can learn enough by next season to put some more ducks on the table!
mdh
hunter

Re: New duck/goose hunter.

Postby swampcrawler » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:59 am

Try and hook up with someone that knows what he is doing.Also BE CAREFUL duckhunting is great fun but every year several hunters die.Either drown or get shot.It is easy to be walking across what looks like shallow water and step off in a barrow pit,or hole.Once your waders fill up you could be in real danger..Just a friendly reminder.
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby mdh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 am

Thank you! Fortunately we didn't have to worry because there were never anyone else out, and there was only frozen water (I'm not walking on ice and neither of us own waders..) haha so we didn't have any troubles, but we are slowly accruing waterfowl gear...

I would like to ask, what is a decently priced, yet quality call for beginners?
mdh
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm

i just started this past season myself, and i have to say the duck commander duck picker is great for beginners, has a good raspy hen sound, and is very ducky.
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby matt9966 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:11 am

I found that a good call for me when I first started out were the Buck Gardner's. You can find one at Bass Pro/Cabelas pretty cheap too. Good beginner call, will do what you will need it to do. As you get better with your calling/hunting then you can get into the more expensive calls that allow you to do a lot more with them (sound wise).

Also, it has already been mentioned but try and find someone who does know a little something about ducking and more specifically callings. If you can not find someone the next best thing is go on Amazon and just start buying all the duck hunting books you can get you hands on. Ducks Unlimited has a good set of books on Duck hunting. Also, a CD that teaches you how to call would be ideal. You can listen to it in the truck and blow to your hearts content. Again, a person helping you is ideal but these are good back up options.

But above all nothing beats going out there and getting experience out in the field. Thats where you will learn if what your doing is right or wrong. Only the ducks will give you that answer

Be safe and welcome to the most addicting hunting out there!
matt9966
hunter

Postby satguy1963 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Matt gave you good advice on that Buck gardner. I have a high dollar RNT daisy cutter but my other call is a buck gardner double nasty. I have used it for years and it still sounds great. Good luck and be safe. :welcome:
satguy1963
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Congrads on joining the ranks of Missouri waterfowl hunters ! Now bust out another $1000.00 for next year for decoys,decoy line and weights, Robo duck ,calls ,waders,cases of steel shot , layout boat,mud motor , Benilli auto loader---well the last three can wait another year-- :biggrin: :biggrin: and another good begginer call is a Echo Diamond Wood Timber Call . Its best you buy your calls at a place that lets you try before you buy - :yes: -- because everyone is different and if all people were the same they'd only sell one type of duck call instead of the hundreds they have now. I probally own a couple of dozen calls , but only use half of them while hunting . Some are comp calls some are for display only and some I sound like chit when I try and call with them. You can get a good starter call for under $50.00 and still use it your whole life , I still pull out that Echo and use it to this day.
Last edited by BigMuddy on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby summit20 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 pm

I would agree with the entry call Buck Gardner Double Nasty...it comes in a combo with dvd, and a recorded simulator for core calls you should try and master and get proficient. Pretty sure you can pick it up at Bass Pro / Cabelas for under $25. You could also join DU if you are not a member I think that was recently a new member gift for joining and becoming a member. :welcome:
Summit20

No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often... T. Roosevelt
summit20
hunter

Postby learn2hide » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:38 am

one of my good friends has a Buck Gardner Double Nasty he is an accomplished hunter and still always goes back to that call which was the first one he owned years ago. Other easy choices for beginners are Haydel DR-85. Allan Stanley makes some very reasonable custom duck calls called Dirty Girl and Swamp Stomper, they are less than 45 dollars and easy to learn on, lot of quality there for the money www.allanstanleygamecalls.com . Hope that helps. And as a few others said, congrats, welcome to the "CLUB" of addicts to cupped wings. Be careful and enjoy.
death and judgement provided at no charge to all incoming waterfowl
learn2hide
hunter

Postby knockemdeadd » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 am

Haydel DR-85
I bet we ALL have one or two, or had one at some point. $20 just about everywhere :beer:

Cant stress SAFETY enough! You are around water, in cold weather, and in close quarters with other hunters. NEVER let your guard down, like others have said, some "accidents" happen each year with fowlers(as well as other types of hunters too). Use good judgement, and always talk things over with your buddy, if there is ANY doubt at all. ENJOY!!!! :beer:
knockemdeadd
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting