Should Missouri have a split duck season and why?

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Re: Should Missouri have a split duck season and why?

Postby BigMuddy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:03 am

OK I forgot the rules on splits --is it two zones one split --two splits one zone --no splits three zones ? I know there was some kind of rule when I attended the zone workshop public meetings a few years back but I forgot ----- :huh:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby oktakem » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:23 am

Back in the late 70'2/early 80's? the season opened for I think 1 week, then closed for 2 then opened for the regular season. Don't remember how long the season was. I was born in 1970 but I remember going to Fountain Grove during the first segment and had a decent hunt back in maybe 79? may have been in the early 80's I don't know the year. Pretty sure it was around Oct 20th. Could have been a test run. I remember my dad loved the early segment. Why not Open it up for a week and then close for a couple weeks and then re-open around mid-November for the regular? Or even do a week on both ends of the season? Be worth a try. The one post showed when the peak migration was. Open up north in mid Oct for a week. During the closed segment open the Middle up for a week. May only end up with a week where both are closed. Get rid of the south zone and make the Missouri river the boundry. I think everyone on here has some legit points. The spot we goose hunt was froze up 2 weeks ago and we saw more ducks than we had all season. I also remember about 3 years ago the ducks AND the geese were gone the last 2 weeks of January. Weather changes everything.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Not sure if split would help any --sorta a guessing game that could backfire . About the only thing I might suggest is pushing the season back a week or two , but then you'd have to get rid of the two weeks between the middle and south zone or the south zone people would be getting screwed .
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby knockemdeadd » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:21 pm

So let me be sure...EVERYBODY on here thinks the Middle Zone oughta be

Nov...Dec closed...Jan

Check, I got it!

Im calling MDC right now, just wanted to be sure. I'll get back to ya's :grooving: :hi:
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:30 pm

I think you guys would be whizzed off if you were looking at ducks in Dec. It would be, "well hell, why aint we hunting now, look at all the ducks. We got the split, now the ducks are showing up in December". :lol3: :lol3:
talltimber
hunter

Postby knockemdeadd » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:42 pm

talltimber wrote:I think you guys would be whizzed off if you were looking at ducks in Dec. It would be, "well hell, why aint we hunting now, look at all the ducks. We got the split, now the ducks are showing up in December". :lol3: :lol3:

true dat !!! :beer:
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:23 pm

It would not be fun to not kill these in december
swampchicken
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:39 am

I would rather hunt in december the bust 5 inches of ice the last 2 weeks of the season
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby Cliner » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:31 am

I know it's been said before, but you also need to look at hunting pressure. It's amazing how many ducks will be around after a week of not being able to shoot at them. That being said, I would love to hunt at least the first week of January in the middle zone. People can post the count numbers of "peak migrations" but it's all a statistics game. I want to shoot fully plumed mallards in January over a field. Or we'll take an ice eater and bust open a hole. I find it very difficult to shoot mallards in a field when there is open water everywhere, especially if you are surrounded by clubs. Then again, I'm not that good at duck hunting, so who knows. I have a few videos of ducks piling into fields by the thousands while we were goose hunting this year after the middle zone closed. I think part of that is because all the farm ponds, duck lakes, and irrigation lakes were all locked up. I also think that they were pounding the fields that we were in because we hadn't touched that field during duck season. I'd be willing to bet if we duck hunted that field a few days in a row, they wouldn't be back for awhile. All in all, I think the seasons are "ok" where they are set. I would rather push the north zone back a week but if it doesn't happen, it's not gonna make me quit hunting. I'd like to see a week or two split just so the birds get "fresh" again for a few days. I can only imagine that the first few days after a split would be pretty awesome.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Ice is a crap shoot in Dec or Jan. We have had seasons where everything was completely locked up through almost all of Dec and then warmer weather in Jan and it has been the other way around too. Look at the last two weeks in SEMO. Don't think there would have been many places too froze up to hunt. There is also the question of the actual number of ducks in Jan. Is there more simply because they are not hunted anymore or is there actually more birds using the area? Or is it a combination of both? Really hard to say untill someone starts shooting at them in Jan.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting