Anyone shoot an O/U for waterfowl?

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Anyone shoot an O/U for waterfowl?

Postby 870shooter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:32 pm

I finally did it. :grooving:

Got off work early enough today to go by the gun show they were having in town. I've got to do something with the funds from the OT I have been working lately besides let Mama spend it all. I have had my eye on the Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U for a while. Besides being chambered for 3" shells it is also relatively inexpensive, at least as far as most over/unders go. Cheap enough I don't feel bad about taking it into the mess that waterfowl hunting can be. I know I'm giving up that 3rd shot but most of the areas I duck hunt at and some of them where I dove hunt at have gotten really strict about picking up spent hulls and this will be much eaiser now instead of having to hunt them down after the ole 870 has flung them where ever. We also picked up a cheap little 380 semi auto pistol to plink with at the range. My son got to shoot a buddies 45 this summer at the range and has been wanting a pistol ever since. Anyway, for the first time since I was 15 I'm am going to be hitting the dove feild and the duck hunting spots with something besides the 870. I was just wondering if anyone else shoots an O/U or maybe even a good ole side by side at ducks?
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Re: Anyone shoot an O/U for waterfowl?

Postby simplepeddler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:10 pm

yes..........for 17 years or so now.............Onyx 686.
simplepeddler
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:46 am

A couple of buddies do. I figured it would be a pain in a blind or pit, but they don't seem to have too much of an issue with it.
talltimber
hunter

Postby Kooterx » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:48 am

I shoot a Ruger over under 12 now and then on them... I love it.
Kooterx
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 am

I had a american arms O & U , I all but quit up land hunting and I traded it for a 9mm , but it was I friend and made it clear if one wanted to trade back we would . They really swing nice and a center of balance between your hands that very few auto's can't match . Those cheaper 3 1/2 " auto's are so end barrel heavy I could never use one.
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby KSRedleg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 am

I bought one of the American Arms 3 1/2" OUs back in about 1990 or so. Shot it for a few years when you could kill your limit of mallards with just the 2 shots you had in the gun. When limits went up in the mid '90s I decided I needed more firepower and bought a Browning B-80 used and later a new Browning gold in 3 1/2". Those 2 are about the only ones I've hunted with since.
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting