Quick Draw

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Quick Draw

Postby bdub20 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi, I'm still pretty new to Missouri and VERY new to duck hunting. I have some questions about the QD and hoping not to get people to fired up about it. First I would like to know how it works. For example I would like to try at Schell Osage and Four Rivers next year. How do I go about that? Second I am curious why everyone and their brother hates it. As I said I don't know much about it. But to me I feel that we should be very thankful for what we have. I'm not sure how it works but I want to know how most of you think it should work. Obviously they have to do something to make these places run smoothly.

I just get sick of coming on this site and seeing everyone rip MDC when I've lived in 3 other states and none of them come close to Missouri Conservation. I am very thankful to have places like these conservation areas to hunt. So I would love for any information and PM's. I really don't want to ruffle any feathers just looking for info.
bdub20
hunter

Re: Quick Draw

Postby 870shooter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:15 pm

You can get all the info on the Quick Draw right here:

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/bird-hunting/waterfowl-hunting

And "ripping" a program is not "ripping" the agency as a whole. You probably won't find a more outspoken hater of the QD program as it is now than me but I think the MDC as a whole does an excellent job providing hunting and outdoor oppourtunities for the public and thank them and thier employees for it quite often. You will find that lots of people also like to hunt these areas and the QD making the odds of that happening right next to zero is why many, but not all, are unhappy with the program. Read up on it at the MDC site, try it next year, and form your own opinions. BTW, the areas you speak of are not involved in the QD program right now.

:welcome:
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby knockemdeadd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:56 am

read the entire qd focus meeting thread :beer:
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Quickdraw is a good thing and hope it gets put in place at all draw areas also the 80/20 split is a good thing. And it is a lot easier to get out to hunt than before quickdraw. :welcome: :welcome:
swampchicken
hunter

Postby bdub20 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts. I really appreciate it. So at the places I mentioned there isn't a draw early on in like august or something? I will look into the link posted and search around more before asking questions.
bdub20
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:31 pm

swampchicken wrote:Quickdraw is a good thing and hope it gets put in place at all draw areas also the 80/20 split is a good thing. And it is a lot easier to get out to hunt than before quickdraw. :welcome: :welcome:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Memories of Moneymaker.... You're not near as good at it as he was.
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby swampchicken » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:01 pm

870 just to let you know I drew in 40 times out of 46 and I could give a care less what a weekend warrior even thinks. I really don't care if you have to feed your family. I will tell you I feed mine very well because some of us have chosen a profession that allows us to do what we want since we are the boss of our selves
swampchicken
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:41 pm

swampchicken wrote:870 just to let you know I drew in 40 times out of 46 and I could give a care less what a weekend warrior even thinks. I really don't care if you have to feed your family. I will tell you I feed mine very well because some of us have chosen a profession that allows us to do what we want since we are the boss of our selves

Your post says so many more things besides what is actually typed, about you not me, it really doesn't deserve a reply. Don't be so foolish to think that every one else who reads it can't see it too.

Enough with highjacking this thread, if you want to throw anymore insults my way feel free to do it by PM. I'm done with you on the open forum. :hi:
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby swampchicken » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Think what you want 870 just don't be jealous of others that hunt more often than you. It's too bad you are so close minded to think that there are people that actually hunt more often than you with your "oh I can't draw in I hate quickdraw bad luck" think others of us like the system the way it is.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby knockemdeadd » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 am

Get a room, you two :rolleyes:
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby kdog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:40 pm

swampchicken wrote:870 just to let you know I drew in 40 times out of 46 and I could give a care less what a weekend warrior even thinks. I really don't care if you have to feed your family. I will tell you I feed mine very well because some of us have chosen a profession that allows us to do what we want since we are the boss of our selves

Narcissist in the making :lol: ......40 out of 46 ..says the man that doesnt depend on parks ..wow
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:18 pm

And to think I thought i got things stirred up :thumbsup:
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Lame attempt. You need to be more subtle. Either that or you need to break the crack pipe.
talltimber
hunter

Postby bdub20 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Ha, didn't really want this to turn into a thread for two guys to get in a fight, they can do that anywhere. So schell osage and Four Rivers do EMD "ever man draws." Just so I'm understanding this right. So everyone in your party draws a pill and whoever gets the lowest pill in your party picks the blind when it comes to their number?
bdub20
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:19 pm

870shooter wrote: I think the MDC as a whole does an excellent job providing hunting and outdoor oppourtunities for the public and thank them and thier employees for it quite often. :

I like the guys that run eagle bluffs, but they do a piss poor job of managing the wetlands there. NO crop rotation, NO spot rotations in years, very poor water levels (yes I'm aware they had pump trouble this year, but they also had one pool go dry over night and then proceeded to pump water in it the rest of the season (4+weeks) while more pools stayed dry and unhuntable all season), no open water in some pools and you could barely hunt the distribution channel...... the duck numbers have also declined by thousands every year for the past 3 years.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby kdog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:20 am

bdub20 wrote:Ha, didn't really want this to turn into a thread for two guys to get in a fight, they can do that anywhere. So schell osage and Four Rivers do EMD "ever man draws." Just so I'm understanding this right. So everyone in your party draws a pill and whoever gets the lowest pill in your party picks the blind when it comes to their number?

Call MDC and ask them ....since you like them so much :welcome:
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby 2Longgone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:03 pm

bdub20 wrote:Ha, didn't really want this to turn into a thread for two guys to get in a fight, they can do that anywhere. So schell osage and Four Rivers do EMD "ever man draws." Just so I'm understanding this right. So everyone in your party draws a pill and whoever gets the lowest pill in your party picks the blind when it comes to their number?

It's the internet age. It's all available on the MDC website. You better get used to using the internet for all of your hunting needs. If I understand correctly, next year, deer hunting will only be available on line also.

Here is the link:

http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/bird ... ry-member-
2Longgone
hunter

Postby drummo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:13 am

2Longgone wrote:It's the internet age. It's all available on the MDC website. You better get used to using the internet for all of your hunting needs. If I understand correctly, next year, deer hunting will only be available on line also.

Is that the new "QuickBuck" system they've been talking about? :biggrin:
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - anonymous
drummo
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 am

BDub 20, I hunted Shell Osage on a res on November 21, I think, and had a good hunt . Think I drew # 11 pill ? Four Rivers also has a large walk in area if you don't get drawn , not as good an area as the draw areas , but at least you don't have to drive far to hunt . Like others have said everything is online or you can even call and talk to an actual person if you call at the right time , usally early in the morning or late afternoon , before they go to work or after they are done . Lunchtime is another good time to call . Also they have a report on the conditions , numbers of ducks ,# of hunters and succuss ratio on each pool using the area on auto phone message service. Call 417 395 4495 or 417 321 3429 , not sure which is which .
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 am

Schell is one person per party draws, not EMD.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting