SE Missouri question

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

SE Missouri question

Postby feather_duster40 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:53 pm

How's the hunting around the Hornersville area?
"If the almighty says it's alright to kill 'em then that's who I'm going with,regardless of what anybody else says"
feather_duster40
hunter

Re: SE Missouri question

Postby 2Longgone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Been amazing since season closed. Mallards are thick, pintails too. Limit out usually within 20 to 30 minutes.
2Longgone
hunter

Postby feather_duster40 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:48 am

Thanks for your help. We got a rice in that area right on the Arkansas line for next year. What do you typically see on a hunt there as far as species?
"If the almighty says it's alright to kill 'em then that's who I'm going with,regardless of what anybody else says"
feather_duster40
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:16 am

Long Gone ---I couple of years ago I was doing some work at my freinds farm up next to Smithville Lake and saw more Pintails returning north then I ever saw arriving during hunting season . It was amazing they just kept flying low to the deck by the thousands over the cut corn field on the other side of the tree line from me. I swear I stopped and watched them for at least 5 minutes and they didn't stop or thin out , just kepted on flying over ,I went back to work and not sure how long or how many actually passed by. I'm guessing it was March ?
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby talltimber » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 pm

You should be fine in the fields. I wouldn't get too cocky around the swamp though. Rougher than a three-sided cob in there. In more ways than one.
talltimber
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Don't mean to sound like a dummy but in what ways? If the water gets up id love to give it a shot next season. But that's the second time I've heard it's an iffy place. Rough people or is it easy to get lost in?
sehunter1
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:15 am

sehunter1 wrote:Don't mean to sound like a dummy but in what ways? If the water gets up id love to give it a shot next season. But that's the second time I've heard it's an iffy place. Rough people or is it easy to get lost in?

He means that the locals don't like alot of strangers in thier area .If i am not mistaken.I've heard that before that some locals get down right mean and destructive
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:32 am

That's sad, pure silliness. Duck numbers in the millions and we have things like that happen.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:54 am

It'll happen. We went to BM a couple of years ago, well several now, probably in 03or4. Came back to a buddies rig, tire flat. Got to getting stuff together to change it an there's a can of fixaflat on the back bumper. We thought, wth? Got home and was relaying the story on another forum, thanking whoever left us the fixaflat ( on a longshot of them being on there). Turns out it was the Dad of a guy on the board, who we had met at the hotel the evening before. They were from MS. Great guys.
Anyhow, I get off track sometimes, you are subject to have that kind of thing, or worse, wherever you go. Just be as prepared as you can. I wouldn't let that keep me from going though. Just a heads up.
talltimber
hunter

Postby satguy1963 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 pm

I called the conservation agent in that area earlier in the season and asked him about the area and that I heard the locals causing problems or damage and he said that in the 6 years he has been there that has not happened.
satguy1963
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:08 pm

What he meant was, in the six years he hasn't heard about it. Not necessarily that there never was an issue. I promise you, game wardens don't know everthing that goes on, regardless of what you'd like to believe. Makes no difference to me either way. You know, a lot of the pissin and moanin from guys occasionally about the attitudes of others here being unhelpful and hateful? It don't help when we try to save someone some aggravation, and are basically called a liar. So, up yours, I hope they push your whole fuggin rig off in the ditch.
talltimber
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for the help. From the aerial pictures it looks like a tough hunt but could be worth a look.
sehunter1
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting