Not sure how to ask the question properly

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Not sure how to ask the question properly

Postby hunt-chessies » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Guys and Gals.... Im active duty military and getting into the later part of my time in the service. I'm a born and raised midwestern boy (Michigan) and want to settle back to someplace similar to raise my three boys. Wife is a carolina girl. were looking for the best of both worlds. I'm pretty much hell bent on your great state for many reasons. What i want to know is plus/minus about different areas of the state. I dont need specific areas, im not trying to hone in on anyones hunting area or over crowd a certian area. Yes the hunting is HIGH on my priority list but this is alot more about finding a place to set roots and call home.

So far the south east south of St Louis, far north west, and jefferson city area's seem to stand out. Any thoughts?? I want small town within a few hours of a decent city, a variety of outdoor oppertunities, good schools, ect.... I live inside the city limits of Jacksonville FL right now so anything is an improvment i promise you that
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Re: Not sure how to ask the question properly

Postby oktakem » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:25 am

Thank you and God bless you for your service first and foremost. Jeff. City is pretty central in the state. You are close to Grand Pass, Fountain Grove and Eagle Bluffs all waterfowl management areas. Sikeston is 20 miles south of Cape but you are close to Otter Slough WMA and Ten Mile Pond WMA and Duck Creek WMA good/ great hunting areas. Columbia is where Mizzou is at-college town! Same with Cape Girardeu and to an extent Springfield. Marshall Missouri is about ten minutes from Grand Pass which is considered the best waterfowling area in the state. Small town about an hour from Cloumbia and 1:45 from KC. If I could leave STL I would, but my roots are here and I have a really good job. If you could get more centrally located in the state you would have more options for hunting like Jefferson City. Another town to look at would be Hannibal. About 2 hours north of St. Louis. Near Ted Shanks WMA and about 2 hours from Fountain Grove WMA and 1 hour from BK Leach WMA. All good areas to waterfowl hunt. Plus you are along the Mississippi river and off of hwy 79-duck clubs up and down 79 from St. Peters! Great town, not too big, not too small! Good luck in your search.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby knockemdeadd » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 am

And if your interested in deer, the upper third of the state is the place to be, if you're looking for the big boys :beer:
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby oktakem » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 am

I forgot to add Sikeston and Cape Girardeau are in the S/E part of the state. Springfield in in the S/W and close to Table Rock Lake and one of our prettiest lakes Bull Shoals. Hannibal is in the N/E. St Joseph in the N/W, Jefferson City and Columbia are in the central part plus they are close to Lake of the Ozarks. Great lake if you can afford a 40' Catameran or like to water ski-very early in the morning like first light lol. Need to be off that lake by 10 am on the weekends in the summer in anything under 30'! I figure you would be looking at a map but just trying to be helpfull and give you a start on where to look.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Thankyou for Serving ! I Like it here , Mexico Missouri ! I moved here a little over a year ago from KC which it is 31/2 hrs East of, 2 1/2 hours West of St. Louis , 45 mins East of Columbia and 45 mins north of Jefferson City MO. --- :thumbsup: --and you'd have an experiance hunting partner nearby- :biggrin: -- We're kinda of a mix of fair to good hunting here , but within a 2 hours drive there is excellent deer and waterfowl hunting and fishing and rec boating . That includes Ted Shanks WA, Eagal Buffs WA, Lake of the Ozarks and Mark Twain Lake and more.

Good Luck ! PS From the title I thought maybe you were going ask someone to marry you !-- :tongue:

Big Muddy
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby mcdux » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm a little partial to the KC side of the state.....I'm able to hunt NW MO, SW MO, Grand Pass, Fountian Grove, MO RIVER, and great goose hunting near Smithville. All within 2 hours.........Not to mention, there are some great school districts around the KC area........
mcdux
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks guys... this is exactly what I was looking for. I titled it that way because I didn't want people thinking this was a fancy cyber scouting attempt. Lol. I'll do some research and if i got questions I'll let ya know

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby BigMuddy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Well good luck and welcome to Missouri if you decide to move here . Not sure what the local schools here in Mexico MO are rated , but they do have good HS basketball team this year . My Grandchildren that attend school now are in middle or high school 2 boys and 2 girls and promised them money for making the honor roll --they all do , most every semester . They seem to have advance teaching methods and a good vo-tech program / school right next to the high school . Most of my growing up was in Kansas City.I lived there when our nieghborhood was on the edge of the northland development . Had a lot of woods and ponds to explore and fish. Now its spread past Liberty MO , and they have the best schools in the area . It was a good place to grow up and live , but only really know about the northland area in Clay , Clinton and Platte Counties.
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby bdub20 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 pm

I think all of the statements are very accurate and helpful so I'll just add a little bit about what I know. I just moved to south west missouri 2 yrs ago orginally from wisconsin so I can relate to you a little. Overall Missouri is supposed to be a great place to raise your kids and atleast the southeast part I can agree with. It is very family friendly here. Deer hunting isn't as good as the northern part of the state but from my experience the deer numbers are decent overall. The lakes are beautiful, rivers are pretty as well. As far as duck numbers, they are ok but again along the river i'm sure it's better.

Hope that helps a little as far as my part of the state.
bdub20
hunter

Postby oktakem » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Mexico is a great town. My buddy grew up there and his parents still live there. His dad was a sherriff there at one time. Never hear anything bad and you really aren't far from a bigger city. Centrally located and not too far from hunting what you want to hunt. Feel free to pm me with any questions in the future if you wish. I'll try my best to help answer them. Looks like you have a lot of great people willing to help on here..
oktakem
hunter

Postby mcdux » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Regardless where you end up, you'll soon find out that MO offers some of the best fowlin in the country..IMO, MDC does a great job of managing MOST CA's. A bit screwed up with the QD, but that's another discussion in itself. In regard to school districts, Liberty, Park Hill, Smithville, Platte County are all jam up (Northland area). Hope this helps a little.....Welcome to MO.
mcdux
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:07 pm

so what is a CA?? QD is the quick draw system right?? am i correct in guessing that there just isn't that much public non-managed 24/7 marsh/hunting areas?? you need to either play the draw game or line up private lands?? 2 hour drive to kill ducks would be welcomed... here it's not out of the ordinary to drive 6 hours to hunt decent grounds on a standby basis.

ya'll have been very helpful. I've been sold for years. The wife is a little slower coming around :fingerhead:

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby BigMuddy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:19 pm

CA's (conservation area) are state run general hunting areas , WA's (waterfowl area) are the same but managed for waterfowl hunting (mostly duck hunting) . The only draw-in areas are the WA's , the rest are walk-in , but some have restriction such as non-toxic shotshell shot only Bow hunting only and no single projectile weapons (rifles). The latter are for places that are usally near homes and the state wants to prevent accidents or damage to peoples home or persons . Yeah the state Conservation Dept runs a lot of the public land , but there is also dept of natural resorces areas and Army corp of engineers areas usally around larger lakes . There are some walk-in areas included with the draw-in areas at WA's , such as Four Rivers WA and Nodaway Valley WA. You can find allmost everything you need to know at the state web site , do a search for Missouri Conservation Department on the internet and should answer most of your questions and show you maps and regs at each area. The state run wildlife dept is well funded , but they are a little controlling sometimes-- :rolleyes: Probally anywhere in the state there is good hunting within a two hour drive .
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:13 am

West, Northwest MO is where its at. Close to the river, plenty of private land (if you're nice enough), good CA's within an hours drive, nice people and KC is a pretty nice town. I'm from up around Kearney/Liberty. Graduated high school from Kearney. If you want the small town feel, you gotta start heading more than 45 minutes away from the city. Pretty much all good schools in the area. Oh and we have BBQ.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:35 pm

UPDATE........ just got home from a week long whirlwind driving tour of the state. We came up thru Memphis ( Avery outlet) to Stuttgart ( macks) then came thru Branson and Springfield to KC. Spent a day there and zig and zaged up and down I-70 to Merrimack caverns then into St Louis. Spent two days there driving all over town. Then worked our way home. I think my wife is now sold we just have to narrow down where i love KC and Columbia!!! Kinda interested in what the little towns and schools are like surrounding those areas. Is it hard to buy land?? Im thinking 10-20 acres atleast. Don't have to be prime hunting land I just want room to breathe.

Is there any industry/ Jobs around Columbia or is it just a collage town?? My wife teaches so she is fine, i still don't know what I'm going to do when I grow up, lol!!!i plan to go to school so mizzo is nice.

Going off what I seen this week I can't imagine the hunting letting me down. It looked awesome and I know this time of year isn't the time to get a feel for it either. Well thanks in advance guys.

Jeremy

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Both places you can live 20-30 mins outside of "town" and be in farm country.. Kc land is more than columbia.. Columbia is a expensive little town! Its a melting pot with the college there! As far as jobs go it all depends on what your looking to do!! KC would have more to pick from. If you can do construction stuff Columbia is booming right now!!!! Dont assume your wife is going to be fine either!! Teacher jobs arent a dime a dozen state budget is still in the crapper!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:21 pm

i_willie12 wrote:Both places you can live 20-30 mins outside of "town" and be in farm country.. Kc land is more than columbia.. Columbia is a expensive little town! Its a melting pot with the college there! As far as jobs go it all depends on what your looking to do!! KC would have more to pick from. If you can do construction stuff Columbia is booming right now!!!! Dont assume your wife is going to be fine either!! Teacher jobs arent a dime a dozen state budget is still in the crapper!!

i will second the "booming construction" in Columbia part. i was there about a month ago and the number of new shops, strip malls, condos, apts, and homes caught me by surprise. was with my gf who went to vet school there and she too was blown away by how quickly the town has grown. at the same time, you can head about 30 minutes in any direction and be a little more "in the sticks" if you will. the town has charm, is pretty close to both STL and KC, and has plenty of hunting opportunities. Eagle Bluffs CA in Columbia hasn't had too many birds the past couple of years, but the guys that run that joint are top notch. and if you know where to go, you can give yourself a pretty good shot at shooting birds there. some solid goose hunting north (i am thinking Moberly and Mexico). never been big on deer hunting so couldn't comment there. only hunting i have done near KC was at Four Rivers CA. 3 WMAs/CAs near Nevada, MO - which is about 1-1.5 south of KC i think down hwy 49. you've got Four Rivers, Schell-Osage, and Montrose all in that area. i love Four Rivers. being in KC, you are also close to Roger's Sporting Goods. buddy of mine moved there 6 months ago and his wife found a teaching job pretty quick. damned good bbq in KC. i like KC, but my dig my Cardinal baseball so STL is home for me!

last but not least, THANK YOU for your service! :thumbsup:
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:19 pm

thanks for ALL the info guys!! I really appreciate it. I'll be making a few more trips up that way. I have a little under 5 years until i retire. I possibly can transfer up there in a couple years as a recruiter so i'm trying to do some homework now. There is a decent chance if i find something i like in an area i like i'll go ahead and buy some land now and then just use it to vacation until i get out. So i have time and flex but my wife and i both really found what were looking for in a broad view so now it's just narrowing things down. I surf thru here a lot i just dont post too much. Plenty of interesting reading for someone trying to learn about the place. I'm already excited to play the games at the public properties. I thought it was complicated down here, it seems like a complete mess up there. I'm sure i'll attend the school of hard knocks at first but i'll catch on quick.

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby will1515 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:31 pm

If you go with the KC area you got to checkout Lees Summit I just graduated from here and the public schools are great. And there are two areas with 20 minutes for some decent duck hunting and lots of county lakes if you like to fish. I love the area and have grown up around here and always can find what your looking for.
will1515
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting