Any game wardens out there?

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Any game wardens out there?

Postby MOhunter13 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 pm

I am wanting to be a game warden after high school but was wondering how much time this job allows for hunting time? How much money are you making in Missouri or Kansas? Any game wardens out there? How do you like your job? What do you mostly deal with? How dangerous is your job? Would you recommend your job to me? If so why? If not why? I am taking Enviornmental Science, and some comuter and business classes and of course the required classes next year(I am a sophomore now). What other classes do you reccomend taking through high school? I am planning to go to MSSU for Field Biology and Law enforcement after high school.

Just looking to get an idea of income for game wardens in this area and how much hunting time you have!
Thanks so much in advance,
MO
    Remington 870 Express 20 Gauge=$400
    Duck calls=$120
    Waders=$100
    Shells=$15
    Grand Total= 1,000,000,000 DEAD DUCKS
MOhunter13
hunter

Re: Any game wardens out there?

Postby SPatrick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Im not a warden but have become friends with quite a few. Hunting time for them is ok, there are other things I would suggest if you were looking for a lot of time to hunt. Not sure about their pay scale but my guess is you are looking at starting around 35-40k. You need to major in Fish and Wildlife biology, after that you will go to about a 6 month training program much like the police academy. Also don't expect to stay in one spot, or be able to choose where exactly you want to go, especially right away, gotta work up to that. If you were looking for a lot of time to hunt and an awesome job, look into becoming a biologist with the USFWS. Really close friend of mine is a biologist at Clarance Cannon refuge, he gets paid good, has a lot of time off to hunt, and one of the coolest jobs around. Also make sure you mind your P's and Q's one infraction and you are done.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby kdog » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 pm

MDC wont pay that much ...just an fyi

http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/r ... 7_6815.pdf
Last edited by kdog on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby pmarley1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Its not an easy job to get. They tend to take half with biology background and half with criminal justice background and then cross train. From knowing quite a few GWs you need to start volunteering ASAP with both law enforcement agencies, mdc and other places. Its hard work, especially for a spouse. You dont get a pick of location and you will go to the coutnies no one else wants to be in. And MDC does not pay (pay should be searchable online). Hunting depends on your assignment. Call your county agent and get to know them and shadow them. And becomming a USFWS biologist is equally as hard. Volunteer with them too and research their SCEP/STEP programs. Ill answer any questions that i can. Ive got a biology background and have been wildlife biologist and worked for numerous state agencies.
pmarley1
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting