Swimming decoys

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Swimming decoys

Postby MOduckMOfun » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:57 am

Has anybody tried one of these:

http://openzone2000.com/catalog/product ... pq28tvvgl1

Or made their own? Jerk rigs are fine and all, but this is intriguing.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Re: Swimming decoys

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:37 am

any motor/swimming decoy i ever tried when i first got into duck hunting was a fail!!!! They just get tangled up in the weeds or wrapped around other decoy line... Stick with the jerk string or a bilge pump duck
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Picked up a Wonderduck cyclone butt this fall and was very impressed with it's portability, ease of use and great action. It put out twice as many ripples/action as my friend's higdon pulsator and was much lighter and easier to deploy. We hunted a timber hole and it did Wonders on those early windless mornings, which it seems we got our fair share of last season.

Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm

I tend not to carry all that mecanical stuff with me to the blind it just seems to take away from the experiance of the hunt. That and it is not needed to kill them.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Swamp, I appreciate and respect your desire to keep things simple and traditional - to each their own. However; using a mechanical thingy or two doesn't bother me.

I have found a water mover to be an effective way to animate the decoy spread on those windless early mornings. The Wonderduk referenced in my previous post is very easy to deploy and it only required 3 sets of 2 D sized batteries for the entire season (only used it for the first hour or so of daylight when it was calm). This year we seemed to have more than the average number of quiet sunrises, coupled with a pattern of 2 or 3 large groups of birds making their way through the area each morning. It definitely helped finish several large flocks of early morning mallards which kept the boys and dog very happy.

We use jerk rigs from time to time with good results, but they too can be a hassle with the dog, idiot boat captains and wondering wading old farts. To some degree gadgets are one aspect of what I find so appealing about duck-hunting, i.e. boats, outboards, decoys, guns, calls, flashlights, hand-warmers, goretex, layout blinds, blind bags, waders, cook stoves, etc..., etc...

Speaking of more traditional methods - I'm looking at getting a nice new or used side x side 12 gauge for sheets & grins. Does anyone have experience with 'em and have a recommendation?

Sprigs
Sprigs68
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting