Quick Draw update!

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Quick Draw update!

Postby mjcraig15 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:33 am

Got the following email this morning.

Greetings Waterfowl Hunter!
Quick Draw was launched in 2010 as an alternative draw method based on research that shows a major obstacle for non-participation in hunting is a lack of time. Feedback from hunters combined with data analysis has resulted in a change for the 2013 waterfowl season.
The Quick Draw / poor line ratio will be adjusted to allocate an additional 5% to the poor line for the 2013 & 2014 waterfowl seasons. This adjustment will result in 75% of the hunting spots being allocated to Quick Draw hunters and the remaining 25%, plus any unused spots to poor line hunters.
In 2012 the Missouri Department of Conservation conducted an online survey that specifically asked hunters if they would like the reservation ratio lowered to favor the poor line. A slight majority (54%) of the respondents wanted to lower the ratio, so a modest adjustment seemed appropriate.
No other changes are planned for the 2013 and 2014 waterfowl seasons. In 2015 a review of the entire managed waterfowl hunt program in scheduled. The managed waterfowl hunt program consists of Quick Draw, the traditional reservation system, the poor line, the every member draws and one member draws systems. More information regarding the 2013 adjustment is available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhIHHVPzauQ
Thank you for your continued interest in Missouri’s managed waterfowl hunt program!
The Missouri Department of Conservation
mjcraig15
hunter

Re: Quick Draw update!

Postby drummo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:52 am

Nice. Glad to see that MDC listens as well as they ever have.

Cliff notes version: Five percent change - so shut up and like it for the next two years.
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - anonymous
drummo
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 am

Well they didn't listen to me! I wanted QD to go 90%qd/10%poorline!
Last edited by swampchicken on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby summit20 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for the update and video link explanation.
Summit20

No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often... T. Roosevelt
summit20
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 am

not enough change, they should have just swapped the QD and poor line % of allocations.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby drummo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 am

2500hdon37s wrote:not enough change, they should have just swapped the QD and poor line % of allocations.

At the very least, they should have made it the same as the percentages at all the other areas.
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll just drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - anonymous
drummo
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:17 pm

5% change. :fingerhead: As far as I'm concerned that is not near enough change. They are just trying to polish a turd and telling us they are cleaning it up just like we asked.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:23 am

Got the same E-mail. :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
The people that manage the waterfowl in this state have got to be some of the most stupid people in the world!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :mad:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby mjcraig15 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am

Yeah amounts to a difference of 1 - 2 spots depending on the number of hunting spots. Woop-de-doo. I can't believe that they really have as many supporters as they say they do. I have to believe that the people that don't support it have put up the ole middle finger and moved on. I can't say I personally know one person that supports the QD. (Oh yeah, forgot Swamp loves QD now :lol3: )

How you been Pat, Al and John? Transmission crapped out on my truck. :mad: Shop wanted $2500. Got it done by a buddy for $850.
mjcraig15
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 pm

mjcraig15 wrote: I can't say I personally know one person that supports the QD. (Oh yeah, forgot Swamp loves QD now :lol3: )

Moneymaker :thumbsup: :lol3: :hammer:

Just a slap in the face.. Oh we cant change it... Oh well we will throw you a bone %5.. Bend over and take it boys!!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 pm

:biggrin: You darn right I like it! It keeps the non locals from driving to the areas to poor line. Less crowds! I am a huge supporter of quickdraw! :welcome: :clapping:
swampchicken
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:39 am

If it was done correctly I would support it. Needs to be at all areas 80 20. Would rather see MDC do away with the entire draw system altogether and make some freelance areas. IMO luck should not be involved to see whether or not you are going to get to hunt a day.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby BigMuddy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Its a nudge in the right direction ! I'd like it also to go back to one member draws for the party , I'm Bias though since usally I'm by myself when drawing or one other person . Thanks for the linK craig , I can't wait for the 2015 changes-- :rolleyes:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:22 pm

mjcraig15 wrote:Yeah amounts to a difference of 1 - 2 spots depending on the number of hunting spots. Woop-de-doo. I can't believe that they really have as many supporters as they say they do. I have to believe that the people that don't support it have put up the ole middle finger and moved on. I can't say I personally know one person that supports the QD. (Oh yeah, forgot Swamp loves QD now :lol3: )

How you been Pat, Al and John? Transmission crapped out on my truck. :mad: Shop wanted $2500. Got it done by a buddy for $850.

JT and I are doing fine Mark, thanks for asking. We have been out scouting for the turkey season today and are looking forward to the season opening. Sorry to hear about the truck but at least it sounds like you were able to make the best out of a bad situation.

The MDC does not have the support they claim. This is why they quit posting the results of thier polls after the first year when out of the people that had an opinion on it, this means leaving out the people with no opinions or that only responded with questions, over 75% of the people were against it. Since then no poll results have been released to the public. It is a flawed system only favored by those that don't really care if they get to hunt in the QD areas or not.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:28 pm

SPatrick wrote:If it was done correctly I would support it. Needs to be at all areas 80 20. Would rather see MDC do away with the entire draw system altogether and make some freelance areas. IMO luck should not be involved to see whether or not you are going to get to hunt a day.

entirely too much hunting pressure from what Ive seen for more areas to be freelance.

I live about 4-5mi from eagle bluffs so thats my main area...... do not need to have 8 parties in pool 5, let alone the tards that already hunt there blasting at that are closer to me than them......

teal season is already bad enough, people trying to claim spots and setting up 12 hours before shooting time.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby SPatrick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:59 am

There is going to be hunting pressure regardless. Another party or two in a unit is not adding much more pressure. In order to stop people from entering areas early, you just post a time that you cannot enter the impoundments before, and if you are caught its a hefty ticket. This will obviously not work at all areas, but you could do some this way. Also make it illegal to hunt within 200 yards of another party, and if there is an issue, call the law. Works great at Carlyle.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Sprigs68 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:38 am

The teal season opener is usually a circus on public areas, but usually subsides in a day or two. I've found hunting pressure to be relatively light or almost nonexistent for the rest of the season.

I believe duck season would be quite a different story though. Opening day would be insane, and every cold front and maybe every week-end would provide no shortage of hunters trying to pry their way into a huntable pool. In my opinion this would not be conducive to an enjoyable day in the field. I'm not even a big fan of hunting Grand Pass, just because sometimes it turns into a foot/boat race to the perceived best spot in the pool.

However, I believe many of those who currently participate in the morning draw would not choose to be a part of an open area scenario. Some would not want to be subjected to the potential morning rat-race to the best spots, and others simply like the social interaction, structure and spectacle the morning draw provides. I actually think it would work fine for the average week-day, but who knows? May take a year or two to acclimate to open areas and I'm sure the supply and demand aspect would ultimately seek it's own level???

I also don't think law enforcement would help with over crowding either. They already have a hard enough time enforcing things as is and they are rarely in the field. Most of our checks throughout the years have been at parking lots or at check-points along the highway. They're just catching the clueless or those who have unknowingly made a mistake. All of the habitual lawbreakers have their crap cleaned up way before they ever make it to the parking lot. I realize this is likely from a lack of resources and manpower; but it would only take a trip every now and then through the hunting area to clean-up most of the careless slob behavior.

SP, I agree with you on the 80/20 split and on all areas. The new reg. is just watering down an already watered down half-baked approach.

Sprigs.
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:06 am

Sprigs I hear you about the "Race" it gets sorta out of hand sometimes , like you said opening day and weekends its the worst !
I've actually thought of installing a 10 hp surface drive motor on my layout ; it oughta plane the boat out easily and put a good water spray on some idiots that have done it too me , but then I'd be a part of the problem and not the solution. --:nana: :nana:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby oktakem » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:55 pm

I really don't have any opinion about the quick draw one way or the other. Quite honestly I'd rather see reservations at 80-90% and the rest poor line. I know some will bash me on here but oh well. Does anyone remember the days of putting in cards and you either got a reservation or a "sorry" card? You also didn't get to choose what spot you hunted, you either took what rolled out or turned it back and went for the poor line. If I am correct all spots were handed out to reservations. The left overs went to the poor line draw. I wouldn't mind going back to that to be honest. It seems so many think because they live close to an area or hunt it a lot they have special rights to it. Last time I checked as far as lisencing and all goes we all pay the same amount of taxes that goes to the areas and their management/mismanagement. Just my 2 cents worth .....let the bashing begin!
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby kdog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:22 pm

oktakem ...it was 50 percent res 50 poorline
with 90 percent res you still would only get a couple hunts a year ......might as well stay with the qd,same as what you just said

If you ever wanted to go without a res ..your odds will suck
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby oktakem » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:21 pm

I remember having the "line number" down at Duck Creek in the 30's which is well over 50%. Back in the 80's. We had the same chance at drawing a good spot as the guys with line # 1. My brother agreed the reservations were sent out to full capacity. We both recalled having the last number in line and drawing BB-4 at Duck Creek and limiting out. We remember days at Swan Lake where there were only 1 or 2 spots rolled over to the poor line. Same at Fountain. May date me but we do remember those days. Think it was a much better system then. Maybe in the last few years of the card system it may have gone to 50% which I don't think it was but who knows. I think at the very least rolling out the spots randomly instead of picking them would be my preference.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby Sametal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Quick draw is such a joke. If you can't be there every morning to draw out you shouldn't be able to try to draw out from 300 miles away. So ridiculous.
Sametal
hunter

Postby BlackFoot777 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I think it should be 100% QD. That way we wouldn't have to wait three hours to go through the stupid pill process. That way you might get out there before 8. Just sayin.
BlackFoot777
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:12 am

BlackFoot777 wrote:I think it should be 100% QD. That way we wouldn't have to wait three hours to go through the stupid pill process. That way you might get out there before 8. Just sayin.

Theres plenty of time to get out.... If people wouldnt take 15 mins to pick a spot!!!!!!! Grandpass was trying to come up with a 5 minute rule.. But boss wouldnt let them Still 5 minutes is to dang long to pick a spot! :mad:
Getting out before day light was never a problem before the QD stuff!!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby drummo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:07 pm

i_willie12 wrote:Getting out before day light was never a problem before the QD stuff!!!

Bingo.
drummo
hunter

Next

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting