Turkey success

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Turkey success

Postby sehunter1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Anybody get lucky and tag their first bird? Just like duck season I was naturally plagued with hens galore. Heading back out in the morning. As a first time turkey hunter I have to admit I may have found a new money pit to go along with duck hunting.
sehunter1
hunter

Re: Turkey success

Postby Cliner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Turkey hunting is no money pit like waterfowling. Buy a blind and a couple decoys and scout. I had my normal opening morning: sat down about 6, killed one at 6:45.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:28 am

I havent went.. but both my brothers and my dad have killed some decent toms
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby talltimber » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Cliner wrote:Turkey hunting is no money pit like waterfowling. Buy a blind and a couple decoys and scout. I had my normal opening morning: sat down about 6, killed one at 6:45.

That was my Friday hunt. First chance I had to go.
talltimber
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:48 pm

My son killed this one Saturday the 20th.
Attachments
04-2013 273 (Small).jpg
04-2013 273 (Small).jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby sjndknichols » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:12 pm

yeah i killed one but it seems like they are not coming to calling very well but they are gobbling alot
sjndknichols
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 am

870 congrads on your son's bird -- :thumbsup: -- I put up a blind Sunday afternoon for Mondays opening day hunt and by Wenesday morning it had been stolen along with my decoys and stool I left in blind . I should know by now not to trust John Q Public , but its my Christian up bringing that has mislead me into thinking most people are honest .--- :fingerhead: ---. Its been allmost non-stop rain for the last 3 weeks here and flooding has limited access for me . I'm trying to get a Tom with a bow again this year , but might give up the idea since my decoys and blind are gone now .-- :mad:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby knockemdeadd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:42 am

killed one friday.

sat on mon and weds, hardly any gobbling. only one i heard friday. took my son sunday, again no gobbling. cant wait to get the party started, goin again this weekend.
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:25 pm

I've been the last three days. Haven't heard a thing. Seen a few hens, looks like they peck a while and go to the nest. No gobblers, no jakes, nothing.
talltimber
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:33 pm

My son and I both went Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Heard two birds gobble on the roost Friday, nothing Saturday, and two birds gobble on the roost Sunday. Nothing after they hit the ground. Rainy and overcast all three days. This morning clear and I would be willing to bet the woods sounded like a turkey concert. :mad:
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby 870shooter » Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm

My son killed a Jake to fill his second tag yesterday. The season is now officially closed. Son 2, Me 0. :oops: Oh well, there is always next year. It has to be the excellent woodsmanship and hunting skills that he learned from me and the close friends that we have hunted with that he used to kill these birds. Right? RIGHT?!?!?!?
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby stlwaterfowl » Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm

I tried to get out as much as I could, but didn't seem to have much luck especially with the flood limiting my spots. I usually hunt over at Howell Island, but with so much rain I couldn't access the island. I went out a total of 4 times and only heard one bird gobble out of all those hunts. Ending the season without filling any of my tags only makes me want next spring more.
stlwaterfowl
hunter

Postby talltimber » Tue May 07, 2013 7:55 am

Didn't get our second birds. The last four hunts we never heard a gobble. Saw four jakes our last hunt and let them walk.
talltimber
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Tue May 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Well on the last few days of the season I gave up hunting with the the bow and took the 835 . I tried a new spot and as I was walking into the woods in the dark I step into a ground hog hole-- :rolleyes: --. It took me a couple of days to heal up (sprained my ankle,hurt my foot and twisted my knee) , but on the last day of the season I managed to hobble out to the woods before daylight (being sure to keep my headlamp and flashlight on and look for whistle pig holes) setup and shot a jake at about 10 feet from me . If I was hunting in Kansas I could have limited out because the other jakes nearby were doing their best impression of the 3 stooges running around in a zig zag circle around me . Id post a pic of the jake , but it was only a jake and shooting that close with 3.5" #5 hevyshot it didn't have a head anymore !-- :eek:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:40 am

Killed a nice tom opening morning but didn't get my 2nd bird. Could have killed several jakes but passed. Weather turned cold and rainy and it seemed the hens didn't go to the nest. Been a weird year. Saw toms strutting for hens this week yet.
BigAL64
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sat May 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Just killed last one till next year on tuesday. Got to love running to new areas to kill them. Missouri season was spot on watched 10 die in first two weeks of season. Still dont understand why missouri needs a three week season or a youth season for that matter.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby talltimber » Tue May 28, 2013 7:52 am

Youth season for the obvious. Chaperones not gunning should mean a better hunt for the kids, birds haven't been shot at, and generally not harassed too much yet.
Three week season I don't have a problem with. Still can only kill two birds, and it lets the guys that can't/don't take days off during the week to have a little wiggle room for the weather.
talltimber
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Tue May 28, 2013 10:59 am

Before youth seasons came along it was a right of passage to go to the woods with your mentor. It never seemed a problem that the mentor let the youth kill the bird and a lot of times the mentor got the bird that ran back and jumped on the one the youth shot. A lot of good father son double pictures. And the check in stations where the youth got to see how big there turkey measured up compared to others that were being checked in. Never really seemed to be any trouble killing birds when it was one bird a week and two week season.
swampchicken
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting