Question on layout boat

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Question on layout boat

Postby MoHunter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:41 pm

Do you have to license your layout boat if you are only running a trollin motor on it? Thanks.
"Here's the deal...I'm the best there is." -Ricky Bobby
MoHunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:00 pm

Good question....I haven't licenced mine, and don't think you have to. However, I never looked into it very hard.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby MoHunter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:22 pm

I heard it's only if you have 3 hp or above, then I heard from someone else that any motor requires licensing.
MoHunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:44 am

I've never seen one licensed or registered. Not sure what the law is though.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:59 am

any boat with any type of motor used on public water must be registered and the registration must be displayed in contrasting letters of 3" or more. if it is a outboard ( elec. trolling motors) it also requires a sticker in the state of mo. but theres more if you use it in the dark you need lights, also life jackets, fire extingushers, ect. just like any other boat.
Mo. water patrol has been known to show up and write tickets for these violations at the CA'S and on the rivers.

the good news is that a manual propelled layout boat falls under a non registered catagory, but all other rules still apply.

and yes you still need a life jacket even when the water is only bathtub deep. that's a $75 ticket
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:50 am

Looks like I'll be getting a ticket on both counts then!

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby gmcbiker » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:39 am

The regulations on motors on boats changes about as often as I change my socks. At the first of 2006, the regs were changed to exclude electric motors. All gas powered motors must be registered and the boat they are on must be registered. If you are using an electric trolling motor, then you need not register motor or boat.

I wish the state would quit changing the regs, it makes it hard for those of us that deal with this crap on a daily basis.

Good Luck Hunting! :smile:
Semper Fi
gmcbiker
hunter

Postby MoHunter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:44 am

woohoo. thanks man
MoHunter
hunter

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:44 pm

You must have a Missouri Certificate of Number and a validation decal to legally operate your vessel on public waters in Missouri. The only exceptions are:
Non-motorized vessels
Sailboats 12 feet or less in length
Vessels registered in other states using Missouri waters for 60 consecutive days or less
Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard

right off thier web page and I checked you are correct starting in 2006 electric motors are excluded from the outboard reg.

sorry about the bad info it had been the other way forever
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby gmcbiker » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:52 am

Something else that I should note. The Missouri Water Patrol has been writing tickets for violations on the electric motor registration. Seems our fine government can't inform their own enforcement officers about the new regs. Tickets are voided when taken in and fought. If the person doesn't fight it, the state just keeps the money! Funny how that works!

You should always have a lifejacket on board for every person in the boat, no matter how well they can swim (really should wear it also). Also, if your boat is 16 ft or longer you MUST have a throwable floatation device, aka cushion. This has been a standard for years and some people just don't realize it. A lot of tickets are written for this because it is a little known fact.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
Semper Fi
gmcbiker
hunter

Postby MoHunter » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:03 pm

A lot of conflicting input on this thread. Maybe I'll just drag my ass to the law school library and check it out. I could prolly just call some department, but which one? Think MDC would know?
MoHunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:17 am

Missouri water patrol would know. MDC might, but that's really not there deal.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it if you are just going to hunt public marshes and such, but if you hit the river, definitely get it licensed.

You must have a Missouri Certificate of Number and a validation decal to legally operate your vessel on public waters in Missouri. The only exceptions are:
Non-motorized vessels
Sailboats 12 feet or less in length
Vessels registered in other states using Missouri waters for 60 consecutive days or less
Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard

right off thier web page and I checked you are correct starting in 2006 electric motors are excluded from the outboard reg.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:49 pm

I play golf with a local game warden. I'll try to remember to ask him. They are the ones usually at the ramps giving out tickets.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting