Northern Missouri Deer Hunting?

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Northern Missouri Deer Hunting?

Postby tam9492 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Hey Missouri folk :hi:

I'm looking at a deer lease in Macon County. Offered a great price on a decent size plot. Its about 50/50 timber/field. 100 acres in all. What's the deer hunting like in the northern part of the state? I'm a PA boy, so I'm used to steep mountains and lots of timber.

Thanks!
tam9492
hunter

Re: Northern Missouri Deer Hunting?

Postby Rory » Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 pm

Generally speaking the northern part of the state has some great deer hunting. Last year or the year before there was a big CWD outbreak in a few counties up that way and Macon was one of them, so be sure to keep that in mind with the area you're looking at.
Rory
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 am

CWD or EHD? I know that a lot of the midwest got hit hard with EHD/blue tongue.
tam9492
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:21 am

Both actually!!

CWD as hit that area due to a private game farm! :rolleyes: MDC has been wiping out deer by the hundereds up there!!!!!!!!!
Has hurt the population and they dont plan on stopping the kill offs! :no: I wouldnt be buying a lease in that county right now! Especially from PA Now 5 years ago.... You probably wouldnt even have a shot at getting that lease!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby talltimber » Wed May 22, 2013 2:22 pm

No water, no bucks. Lol

I've been told, but don't care enough to look it up, that the drier years were causing the blue tongue down this way too. Something about the algae on stagnant ponds/sloughs. Deer stacked up dead. Idk if its the algae itself, or the diminished water supplies concentrating and exposing more of them to the infected deer.
http://mdc.mo.gov/your-property/wildlif ... ic-disease
http://mdc.mo.gov/blogs/fresh-afield/dr ... er-disease

So much for what I "heard". Apparently not algae at all.
talltimber
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Good info guys! :thumbsup:
tam9492
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 pm

Im from Shelby county, right beside Macon county. You would be fine taking a lease up here, especially if the price is right. The deer heard is still health and in good numbers. Some areas got hit harder than others and deer were lost, but its natural for disease to happen and populations will rebound and fluctuate yearly. Get the lease and start managing your deer heard and you will have years of great hunting.
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:40 pm

50/50 field/timber a good ratio?
tam9492
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:30 am

fowlhabit4 wrote: but its natural for disease to happen and populations will rebound and fluctuate yearly.

This is true when we are talking about EHD... But MDC has killed hundereds of deer in Macon county because of CWD! And there are more plans for doing more kills! Several buddies work for this district and in one week last year in April they killed over 200 They did 2 more weeks like that over the summer and plan on doing more this summer as well! Now who knows how many of those doe's were pregnant or had small fawns laying off in grass but you bet they all died too!!! :eek: Thats a lot of deer being taken off of one small area!!

PS i dont hunt deer up there... Dont care if you do... Just giving info! :thumbsup: Personally i wouldnt want to get a lease a couple hundred miles away from home to find that the deer population in that area has been hit hard by EHD and CWD with controlled kill off by MDC and more in the future...
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:33 am

That's why I asked for opinions first! :thumbsup: I have lease in Kentucky we're looking at as well.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Cliner » Thu May 23, 2013 6:09 pm

i_willie12 wrote:Both actually!!

CWD as hit that area due to a private game farm! :rolleyes: MDC has been wiping out deer by the hundereds up there!!!!!!!!!
Has hurt the population and they dont plan on stopping the kill offs! :no: I wouldnt be buying a lease in that county right now! Especially from PA Now 5 years ago.... You probably wouldnt even have a shot at getting that lease!

I disagree. What the MDC is doing is not even touching the population there. I'm on the exact opposite side as willie, I'd be locking in a lease up there long term so that when it gets back to normal (which will be very soon), you'll have it already locked up. I don't hunt up there either, but know several that do.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Seems like there is potential. Owner suggested a 140" minimum. Is this realistic?
tam9492
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 pm

YEP!!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:40 pm

If you look at deer numbers in this area, you will quickly realize you will be fine. Proper management and effort and you will do just fine.

October 23, 2012 – Deer-vehicle collisions are up across the United States compared to a year ago, and Missouri is now considered a “high-risk” state when it comes to these mishaps.

The chances of you hitting a deer if driving in Missouri in the next 12 months are 1 in 116, slotting the Show-Me State at No. 15 in the country. The national average is 1 in 171.

Using its claims data and the number of licensed drivers in each state, State Farm® estimates 1.2 million collisions between deer and vehicles occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011, and June 30, 2012. That’s an increase of 7.7 percent over a year ago. The previous three years have seen an overall drop of 2.2 percent.

For the sixth year in a row, West Virginia tops the list. State Farm calculates the chances of a West Virginia motorist striking a deer over the next 12 months at 1 in 40, compared with 1 in 48 the year before.* South Dakota moved from third to second, at 1 in 68 on the list. Iowa drops from second to third, at 1 in 72.

The state in which deer-vehicle mishaps are least likely is still Hawaii (1 in 6,801). The odds of a driver in Hawaii colliding with a deer between now and 12 months from now are approximately equal to the odds that any one person will be struck by lightning during his or her lifetime.

WOW 1.2 million deer hit by cars in us! Missouri High risk, probably should find a lease out of the country since such High numbers of deer are dieing. I know Im being a smart ass!

Deer die, populations rebound, the deer heard is still plentiful!!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby Rory » Thu May 23, 2013 11:09 pm

fowlhabit4 wrote:If you look at deer numbers in this area, you will quickly realize you will be fine. Proper management and effort and you will do just fine.

October 23, 2012 – Deer-vehicle collisions are up across the United States compared to a year ago, and Missouri is now considered a “high-risk” state when it comes to these mishaps.

The chances of you hitting a deer if driving in Missouri in the next 12 months are 1 in 116, slotting the Show-Me State at No. 15 in the country. The national average is 1 in 171.

Using its claims data and the number of licensed drivers in each state, State Farm® estimates 1.2 million collisions between deer and vehicles occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011, and June 30, 2012. That’s an increase of 7.7 percent over a year ago. The previous three years have seen an overall drop of 2.2 percent.

For the sixth year in a row, West Virginia tops the list. State Farm calculates the chances of a West Virginia motorist striking a deer over the next 12 months at 1 in 40, compared with 1 in 48 the year before.* South Dakota moved from third to second, at 1 in 68 on the list. Iowa drops from second to third, at 1 in 72.

The state in which deer-vehicle mishaps are least likely is still Hawaii (1 in 6,801). The odds of a driver in Hawaii colliding with a deer between now and 12 months from now are approximately equal to the odds that any one person will be struck by lightning during his or her lifetime.

WOW 1.2 million deer hit by cars in us! Missouri High risk, probably should find a lease out of the country since such High numbers of deer are dieing. I know Im being a smart ass!

Deer die, populations rebound, the deer heard is still plentiful!!

And how many of those collisions do you think are in areas like rural Macon county compared to the suburbs of STL that are absolutely CRAWLING with deer AND people (google Town and Country MO Deer, there's a lot of other areas around stl just like it). This is the first website that I've seen people saying the population up there is fine and it's nothing to worry about. I personally would not get a lease in that area coming all the way from PA when there are other areas of the state with just as good of trophy potential (probably better now) with no risk involved. Sure, populations rebound, but with the amount of deer that hunters AND the mdc have both killed up there the last year or it's not like it's even possible to argue that numbers are nothing to worry about.
OP, make some phone calls to sporting goods stores in the Macon area and see what they have to say about it, as well as the game wardens for a few of the counties up there.

Rory
Rory
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:06 am

Thanks for all the info guys.
tam9492
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Go ask that question here... http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/

Now its a deer hunting site... So i dont know if they will take kindly to a out of stater asking about a lease in MO....

Might be like you asking about ducks in MO on this site!
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:29 pm

HAHA I know better than to ask a man about his ducks :hammer:
tam9492
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting