versatile missouri spread

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

versatile missouri spread

Postby BPSgrizzly » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:14 am

ok so my huntin buddy and i were at the bar last night and got into a solid discussion/disagreement. I think that when hunting in most situations you could throw a couple canada floaters in your spread for those times when a couple canadas are flying by and you can call them in and they got something to look at or you could put duck spread on one side and a couple canadas on the outisde because if you look at any refuge there all together. but he says that the canada decoys would flare ducks. Whats everyones experience? i want a spread that very versatile for those days when randoms are flying by.
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Re: versatile missouri spread

Postby 870shooter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:37 pm

I don't think the Canadians will flare the ducks, to the contrary I've always heard that it was good to add a few goose floaters off to one side of your spread as "confidence" decoys for the ducks. I don't know if it will help get any fly by geese to come in or not. I have also been told that any spinner decoys in your spread will flare geese.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:07 pm

we run canada decoys in our spreads both in water and dry fields. I've had ducks decoy right into canada only spreads. ducks don't flare off of canada decoys in my experience.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:56 pm

An all goose spread is my go to for late season ducks. I won't bring a single duck and have killed limits of ducks then you are ready for geese. Works well at the parks as well.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:43 pm

rule of thumb: Ducks will decoy into Canadas no prob, water or land. Canadas however don't like to decoy into ducks.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby swampchicken » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 am

Have never seen ducks flare from canada decoys. There have been times i have thrown out 30 bigfoot floaters just to draw a little more attention from the ducks. The ducks always finished inbetween duck decoys and bigfoot floaters.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 am

SPatrick wrote:rule of thumb: Ducks will decoy into Canadas no prob, water or land. Canadas however don't like to decoy into ducks.

:ditto:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Deadeye » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 am

i_willie12 wrote:
SPatrick wrote:rule of thumb: Ducks will decoy into Canadas no prob, water or land. Canadas however don't like to decoy into ducks.

:ditto:

bingo
Jig is my green headed corn grinder finder.
Deadeye
hunter

Postby EvanKCMO » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 am

Last year during early goose we had several flocks of teal and wood ducks land right in the middle of our floating honker spread and during goose season in January we had field mallards landing right at our feet with only honker dekes out.
EvanKCMO
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting