public land hunts near branson

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

public land hunts near branson

Postby avalanchebetz49 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 am

A couple buddies and i are driving to Missouri from Maryland in January for a do it your self hunt on public land. any suggestions where to hunt cause we have never been to Missouri, we r basicly winging it in the branson area. We r bringing a 18 ft boat. We love hunting swamps or really any kinda water. We aren't much of field hunters. Please throw me a few suggestions for a public land successful hunt. Thank you and good luck to everyone.
2010-2012 tally
111-geese
118-ducks
all public land in maryland
2012-2013 tally
29-ducks
all solo public land in montana
avalanchebetz49
hunter

Re: public land hunts near branson

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:43 pm

In branson area....... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Good luck If i was traveling from Maryland to Momo to hunt the LAST place i would go is branson

Take that boat and go fishing on one of the lakes!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Tanneycomo is right there. Don't know the regulations though. Willie's sentiments hold pretty true about coming to MO for a duck hunt. I would have gone to SEMO to hunt if I were you. Good luck :beer:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby avalanchebetz49 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:37 pm

ok thanks for the info, anything with in 100 miles of branson would work. im staying in branson cause a family friend has a cabin there so we r going to take advantage of that
2010-2012 tally
111-geese
118-ducks
2012-2013 tally
29-ducks
avalanchebetz49
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 am

Like i said.... Leave your duck gear at home and go fishing!! Closest decent duck hunting from branson is 3 hours away! People that hunt those lakes down there kill a couple birds a day and are happy.. They arent traveling 15 hours to hunt that place! Its close to their home they go out kill a couple have a good day then go home..

Save your money and go to Arkie land or stay home
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Depends on when in january you are coming there are places to kill limits.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby avalanchebetz49 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:40 pm

well i would be coming in mid january. im going to come to hunt, im not going to drive 1000 miles to go fishing in january. branson is my only option for a place but i have no problem venturing away from there for the day to hunt. thanks
2010-2012 tally
111-geese
118-ducks
2012-2013 tally
29-ducks
avalanchebetz49
hunter

Postby Cliner » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:09 am

Hopefully you'll make it before duck season closes. The middle zone closes the first week of January, which is the closest good hunting there, the south zone stays open untill mid january. Like others have said, there are limits to be had down there, I just know NOTHING about the area. The MDC releases the season dates in late August. If you miss duck season, bring your goose gear. Goose hunting is good mid january in MO.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:17 am

avalanchebetz49 wrote:well i would be coming in mid january. im going to come to hunt, im not going to drive 1000 miles to go fishing in january. branson is my only option for a place but i have no problem venturing away from there for the day to hunt. thanks

well you have been warned! :rolleyes:
Duck season normally closes Jan 20ish better hope that its about -5 degrees for a high to freeze EVERYTHING up north leaves the lakes as the only body of water open and you still will have a hard time to kill limits of ducks there! Not a duck area...
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby avalanchebetz49 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Cliner wrote:Hopefully you'll make it before duck season closes. The middle zone closes the first week of January, which is the closest good hunting there, the south zone stays open untill mid january. Like others have said, there are limits to be had down there, I just know NOTHING about the area. The MDC releases the season dates in late August. If you miss duck season, bring your goose gear. Goose hunting is good mid january in MO.

ok thank you for the info i would love to get in to some geese out there.
2010-2012 tally
111-geese
118-ducks
2012-2013 tally
29-ducks
avalanchebetz49
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:40 pm

avalanchebetz49 wrote:
Cliner wrote:Hopefully you'll make it before duck season closes. The middle zone closes the first week of January, which is the closest good hunting there, the south zone stays open untill mid january. Like others have said, there are limits to be had down there, I just know NOTHING about the area. The MDC releases the season dates in late August. If you miss duck season, bring your goose gear. Goose hunting is good mid january in MO.

The geese in Branson are park geese!! Bring you loaf of bread and cheetos!! :lol3:

Have you even talked to the people that own the cabin about the area?? looked at it on google maps??? Its all rolling hills/small mountain area and big timber!! No marshes No feeding grounds/agriculture Its just big lakes and a few streams!! Most birds fly right over that part of the state or are the local birds that people feed all year!! Thats why its called the arm pit or butt hole of waterfowl hunting in MO!
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby Rory » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:59 pm

avalanchebetz49 wrote:well i would be coming in mid january. im going to come to hunt, im not going to drive 1000 miles to go fishing in january. branson is my only option for a place but i have no problem venturing away from there for the day to hunt. thanks

If you're going to already spend all of that money in the trip you may as well get a motel and pick up day leases or guided hunts/ hunt public ground in a better part of the state that'd actually be worth spending the money and time for the trip
Rory
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:00 am

Don't know how far you're looking to drive from Branson, but you can limit out on gadwalls in January on Stockton Lake. But you'd probably need to go the day before you hunt to see where they're wanting to be. That time of the year they try to stick back in the arms of the lake. All the land around stockton is army corp of engineers land and you can hunt from shore easily.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:38 pm

i_willie12 wrote:
avalanchebetz49 wrote:

The geese in Branson are park geese!! Bring you loaf of bread and cheetos!! :lol3:

Have you even talked to the people that own the cabin about the area?? looked at it on google maps??? Its all rolling hills/small mountain area and big timber!! No marshes No feeding grounds/agriculture Its just big lakes and a few streams!! Most birds fly right over that part of the state or are the local birds that people feed all year!! Thats why its called the arm pit or butt hole of waterfowl hunting in MO!

Ducks do eat other stuff besides corn! I have had hunts there that were better than some of the fields up by malta bend!
swampchicken
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am

swampchicken wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
avalanchebetz49 wrote:

Ducks do eat other stuff besides corn! I have had hunts there that were better than some of the fields up by malta bend!

Would you drive 1000 miles and spend a good amount of money to hunt ducks in branson area?????

I dont think so! :rolleyes:

Never said you cant kill ducks there.. Said I wouldnt drive from MARYLAND to hunt ducks there :thumbsup:
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting