Boat blind advice?

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Boat blind advice?

Postby sehunter1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:19 am

Hey guys, I'm building my first boat blind and am a little stumped on what to finish it with. I hunt marshes, flooded corn, and timber so I'm looking for an "all around" camo pattern. I plan to use brown burlap under a 3-d netting and brush in with fastgrass and cattails. Just not sure which camo pattern would be best. If anybody with a boat could tell me pros and cons with different patterns I'd appreciate it!
sehunter1
hunter

Re: Boat blind advice?

Postby swampchicken » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:28 pm

A dark timber pattern is where i would start as the base for the reason you said you hunt timber. You can always add fastgrass to blend into corn or marsh areas just like taking it off to hunt timber and go with base layer.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks man, that is kind of the path I thought about taking. This is my first boat and im just not sure what pattern to use on the 3d netting. For a marsh I want to cover it in fastgrass and cattail, maybe with some cane to break up the pattern a little bit. Just dont wanna spend the money to get it wrong.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Congrats on the boat. Sounds like a good plan, but you may want to consider something other than burlap for your base layer if budget allows. Burlap is great at concealing and blending in, but it is a mess when it gets wet. You may consider a denier product or even canvas. Good luck!
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 pm

Thank you, and thanks for the tip on burlap. I never knew that. I have another material that i thought of using for a base, I have no clue what it is...I have an aunt that works in a fabric factory and she dug it out of a disposal bin. It feels like a cheap plastic table cloth for picnics but is tougher than tyvek. It has a digital camo pattern in olive, tan, brown, and gray. Seems to be windproof too. Glad I saw this before I made a trip to buy burlap in the morning!
sehunter1
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:05 pm

cabelas has their 10lb fast grass kits on sale from $80 bucks down to 30 or $40 bucks online. Its the golden harverst color but you can spray paint any shades you want and that stuff last for years have had it on permanant blinds for more than 5 years now. might be good to tie into the burlap.
Normmcclean
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting